4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:56 am 
Some call me a god

Dsmlink for almost 10 years now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:08 pm 
Some call me a god

I see. I wish there were more outputs with ECMLink. You could really go nuts with solenoids on stuff such as: water injection, nitrous, boost controllers, butterflies on the Cyclone IM, line pressure and anything else that can be ran off a solenoid. As it stands though, you can only choose two.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 pm 
Some call me a god

I put new valve cover gaskets in, new plug wires and did a light retune with the new wires. I am able to get 2-3* more timing now with the new wires and the transmission not flaring on spool up. Under wide open throttle on the big end I am able to put 4* timing back in it. It sure feels a lot better now. I am stuck for what ever reason at 17psi(was warm today). I wanted to turn the boost up over 20 if I could, but even with more turns it would not go up. It is fine, as I am sure I am more than half way down on the controller.

I am experimenting with some switches to shift the tranny right now. I ordered a Roadsurge box and hope that it works as well as the switches. I am having a hard time making the tranny go into first gear for what ever reason, but it selects all the other gears just fine and works like a champ with no flaring now.

The tranny fluid is dark already, so if I have to pull the pan to put in a new valve body(my suspected first gear problem) it won't be a bibg deal. I need to get a real cooler in here asap as I am sure the stock cooler incorporated with the radiator is not doing a great job. That and I need to get a tranny temp gauge soon.

But she is close now. There is a dyno day next week. I may take it and see what the turd has.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

What does the "blue wire" mod do?? Increase mainline pressure to make more solid shifts??

If its still slipping or flaring up on shifts the friction material on the clutch disks is probably getting overworked with the added HP now...if it is the clutchpacks it will just keep getting worse....might need a overhaull and new clutch packs to take more boost....or Might have to upgrade it to a 1g dsm fwd auto to account for the added power that little 1.6 l is putting out now.

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 pm 
Some call me a god

It puts 12v to the pressure solenoid. Thus giving it full line pressure. I have it set to work under WOT via a relay. I just copied someone else's instructions. It was still flaring, but I have some switches in there now to by pass the TCU and I am manually shifting the two shift solenoids. The Roadsurge shift box is going in so I am not running aggressive shifts at all times if I don't want to.

This tranny was already rebuilt. I am sure at some point I am going to have to upgrade to a 1G fwd tranny. I am sure with the flaring, even with the low miles I have already caused some damage. The fluid is dark already. I will change the fluid again as I am likely going to have to replace the valve body. I will limp this thing along as long as I can. I need to get back to my truck. Maybe when it is done I can put a 1G FWD in there.

I am certain if I would have done the shift box and line pressure mod first, I would not have done any harm and this little tranny would have worked just fine. It is also my fault for expecting too much and not getting a tranny temp gauge in there to start. I am sure I could have headed off any problems before hand.

We raped the crap out of this thing a few times and I am sure with the flaring things got hot. The good new is if/when I upgrade, I can put a converter in here that can stall up. I am not able to stall this thing over 2000rpm. If that works out whenever, I will take it to the track.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:55 pm 
Some call me a god

when you put the valvebody back in, top it off with john deere hyguard hydraulic oil. it can take higher temps, stall a tad lower. make the converter much tighter, and increase line pressure. plus its cheaper than trans fluid.

yes, its a bandaid. but will help alot.

and you shouldnt have tossed the a/c condenser either. should just cut the lines and put pusher fans on front of it and use it as trans cooler. its massive and has a huge surface area. i used my old csm gt one in my volvo 850t, never had any issues keeping trans cool afterwards. even on 110 dg summer days here.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:04 pm 
Some call me a god

That's a great idea on the condensor, but it would not work with the FMIC I am running. I have a few options to try for free so we will see how they do.

I will take a look into the John Deere stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 pm 
Some call me a god

dsm smic with fittings welded on are also great compact, high surface area coolers too. would make a great lowish presure fluid cooler.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:28 am 
Some call me a god

Roadsurge shift box is in. I have all forward gears again. Acts like a turbo FWD car for a change. It works great, just as I hoped for. I just need to put a plate for the exhaust on my bumper and install a tranny cooler. Other than that this car is done until this turbo lets go.

There is a dyno day this weekend. $40 for 2 pulls. I am going to give it a go and see what this turd has.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 am 
CSM Junkie

keep us updated!!

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
keep us updated!!
+1 dyno video would also be exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:56 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ive down plenty racing. And with plenty different exhaust set-ups....And you right its your car... And im just saying whats on my mind dont get offended.. Thats why your putting out in the open for us to see and comment. SO yea..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:19 am 
CSM Junkie

Any reason you aren't using a dsm tcu? Maybe you explained why but I missed it. I think it would even cost less. I use one in my car and love it, I just mash it and never have to think about it.
Quote:
Roadsurge shift box is in. I have all forward gears again. Acts like a turbo FWD car for a change. It works great, just as I hoped for. I just need to put a plate for the exhaust on my bumper and install a tranny cooler. Other than that this car is done until this turbo lets go.

There is a dyno day this weekend. $40 for 2 pulls. I am going to give it a go and see what this turd has.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 am 
Some call me a god

Well at this poitn you are just wasting your time 4g15. Might as well find another thread to read.

And Dan, my TCU functions 100% the same as a 90 DSM TCU. No need in buying something I already have. Between the blue wire mod and the shift box, this is exactly what I needed from this transmission. Works just as I had planned on the whole time.

And just for those of you who want to know, I am putting the car on E85. This tuning shit with 9* ignition timing is getting old. I will have a tune for how the car rolls around colorado, and another pump gas tune if I need to do any traveling with the car. I am just getting no where and am leaving plenty of power and torque mostly on the table by not having any timing in it.

THe E85 will be in and tuned before the dyno.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:50 pm 
Some call me a god

OK. After farting around with pump gas for a few days, today I swtiched over. In went the E85. That is exactly what the car needed. The boost is around 20psi now as it seems to want to blow the spark out with any more boost. I was able to add 7* of timing across the board. I could probably go more if I want, but without being on a dyno I would just be getting greedy to see if I was seeing any gains or not. I am at 16* ignition timing with the 5* base timing. That seems like a nice round number and seems to pull through nice and clean now. It was nosing over at 6000rpm so we leaned it out a tad and put 2* more timing in it up top to have that whole part of the map be 16*. It pulls nice and clean without falling off the whole way through.

The boost does taper down to 16psi or so from 20psi, but I am ok with it. We made a ton of pulls and it came home running like a champ. All the cruise tuning and idle tuning is done as well. Drives damn near like a stock car.

Dyno with videos tomorrow.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next