4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

What ignition are you running? What's the gap?

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 pm 
Some call me a god

The factory 89 n/a summit ignition, with brand new week old Napa Gold/Belden wires, BR7ES@ .023(was at .028 last week). I have three other 90 coil packs I could try, but at this point it runs fine and I am not interested. If I do anything, I will install the Ford Accel coil like I ran in my colt that is going into the truck now.

I am just going to leave it. It is fine how it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

Cool, I was just curious. I'd bring the gap down to 19 mils.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 pm 
Some call me a god

Eh, turning the controller down 1.5 turns did the trick. And the car is still just as fast.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 pm 
Some call me a god

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=35526

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

That's wierd.... I didn't have any problems with blowing spark out till around 30 psi of boost and that was with stock everythin and a .028 of gap on BPR7ES.. But it was with ngk wires... Not shitty ass ones.. What compression ratio is that motot rated at?

Nice pulls on the dyno! That little 61 is running smooth! Looks like ya need some valve stem seals tho..... Puffed a bit of blue there after u had it idling on the first vid. Nice to see that engine putting out over twice the power it came with ahahaha

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:33 pm 
Some call me a god

I know the head needs new seals. It has been doing that since I bought it from Graham. I am not worried about the ignition either. If I need to I have three more coils, but like I said before, I would run a aftermarket Ford ignition before anythig as they are cheap and kick ass.

It was supposedly rated at 123hp, but likely was putting down 75-80hp. Referencing compared to my fiances saturn which I did dyno and did out run. Not sure on the compression ratio, can't seem to find the info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:22 pm 
Some call me a god

Well a sorta good day and a sorta bad day. The good is I got the tranny cooler installed as well as the tranny temp gauge. Works like a fruit and banana champ. With temps at 50* today it was crusing in between 90-100* around for the test drive. The temps do rise while sitting at a light, but go down right away.

I also fixed my compression tester. The Schrader valve was loose. Took almost two turns and worked for the first time in two years.

The bad news is the head gasket it blown. It was partially suspect before. But I let a friend take the car to show some co-workers how we do things and he ran it low on fuel. I sent it with a full tank of gas. Looks as if he boosted it with no gas in it and burnt a grounding strap off the #2 plug. It was about 50% gone and had green all over it. I did a compression test and it still held 135psi like the others, so it seems it might be ok. Put in new plugs and went for a spin but it was breaking up. So tomorrow the head comes off. I am going to replace the valve stem seals while we are in there.

And so it is, our beloved cars. Haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Took about 2.5 hours by myself tonight to pull the head. I just had to see it before I went to bed. It just barely blew on the #2 cylinder on the block side of the head towards the exhaust side of the motor. It was just enough I guess. The motor looks good in there. After only two tanks of E85 the pistons are super clean. They are "white", but I am sure it is that old 156,xxx mile crud being steam cleaned off by the E85.

I still need to go and grab the valve stem seals, but they had plenty in stock so I should be ok tomorrow for those. If all goes well we can have it running again tomorrow night. After that I may not feel like selling it like I do now. Those N/A pistons sure have a much taller crown than the turbo pistons. Seemed to have dodged a bullet. We caught it before anything super bad happened.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 am 
CSM Junkie

did it start pushing coolant out the overflow and overheating first? what part of the HG blew?

Oh im also liking the wood battery tie down spacers... hahah i do the same "MOD" hahah

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am 

I'm sure once she's running good again you'll forget about selling it.

Link to the trans cooler? Also can you just use regular hose and worm gear style clamps for the inlet/outlet? I need a radiator for my Mighty Max that I just picked up and one for an auto is almost twice as much. I figure I could just buy the manual one and run a separate cooler for the auto trans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Also can you just use regular hose and worm gear style clamps for the inlet/outlet?
Yep, works great.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 am 
Some call me a god

The factory coolers use the crappy clamps, going to worm-drive clamps would be an improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:51 pm 
Some call me a god

You can, you just need to make sure and retorque them after a few heat cycles. When I went to arkansas in march I had tranny fluid everywhere when I made my first stop for gas. The work drive clamps(brand new) had lossened just enough to make a mess.

Car is back together. Had some issues with the connector for the power transistor. Which in turn shorted out my transistor. It looked to have been a problem for a while. I melted a spark plug again on the first pull. I double checked everything again. All seemed to be ok. So I added some fuel and made a another run. Things were better but it tried to melt one again. All the plugs looked white and pitted. This time I went out and added a bunch and pulled 2* of timing. Pulled like a champ with the partially melted plugs and all. I went back, cleaned the plugs to look brand new and put the timing back where it was. I added even more fuel and she pulled like a raped ape again.

At this point I am thinking the fuel filter is getting clogged or is clogged. Probably had never been changed and now has a few tank fulls of E85 run through it. I will report back this afternoon what I find. But it is running good again. And truth be told, it may not have blown the headgasket before. Because when the spark plug melted this morning it turned green again. And this was maybe 3-4 seconds of boost on the brand new head gasket. I highly doubt with this little power it blew it that fast, especially the way it is running now.

I did however think it blew it right away this morning. I opened to hood to find coolant everywhere. After the car started running better I thought I would try another radiator cap I had laying around. Made three more pulls with the same tune(minus the added fuel to reach the dyno air/fuel numbers) and came back to find no coolant anywhere. So just a rough week or two for the car, but it seems to be back on track.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:32 pm 

Where did you get the cooler, how much?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next