4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 pm 

Hey guys, I thought Id start a thread on my new (and first ever) Colt Gt. It is for the most part stock except for a 14b and a K&N filter. There is a little story behind it but I will post some pics first!

On to the story. I am a mechanic at Archer Racing Accessories here in Duluth MN. We used to race dsms in the SCCA when they first came out. (google it) So anything DSM in the local area usually ends up at the shop.

Well about 2 years back an older gentleman (Jon, in his early 60's) stopped in with this car. He knew what it was and wanted to do some upgrades. Well upon further inspection I found that the stock turbo was locked up and someone un-hooked the WGA so the wastegate was open.

I installed a 14b that we had, a new K&N and all new timing belt components. I by-passed the stock boost solenoid and had him come test drive it. He was amazed (though I wasn't) and he took it home. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it to get ahold of me.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. Jon called me at work, he wanted to sell the Colt! He felt that I had such an appreciation for the car that he would give me first dibs on it. So a few months of saving and it's mine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm 

Well this is not my first DSM, my current and only one, the love of my life, my pride and joy is my 2g Talon AWD. I converted it from FWD to AWD and built it up to an E85 sputtering 700-800 hp Viper killer.

The colt is to be a fun toy that gets good mileage (better than my truck) with all the basic mods for now. I imagine it someday being AWD and who knows what.

I understand that somewhere on here there is a place to register the VIN (i havent gotten that far) but the car does have some weird quirks. The passenger door is power, the drivers door is manual. It had factory A/c that was removed but I got all the parts with the car to re-install it.

The car must have been hit as the hood has blue paint showing through on the bottom and the emissions tag is for a 1.5. I'm wondering if the drivers door was replaced also with a manual one. I am not sure if the electronic set up on the passenger door is stock or not, does anyone recognize it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Looks really clean nice find. Good to see that karma was on your side =) plans?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:50 pm 
2nd Banana

Wow, great car. That interior looks pretty darn clean! I also had no idea archer racing was still in business. That's a major blast from the past.

The VIN registry can be found here:
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19530

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 am 

Nice, another clean red GT. :rock: I was wondering, do you know if any of the factory backed race DSMs from back in the day still exist? I would love to restore on of those.

89 Plymouth Colt GT
90 Talon TSI AWD
94 Montero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 am 
Some call me a god

wow, are you kiddin me?! power doorlocks?! never seen that before!

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Where'd you see power door locks? It looks like the car has aftermarket power windows though.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 pm 

Nice find. I love the condition of the seats. I know Scott who owns the Ninja Turtle 1g FWD Archer Car and it is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:39 am 

Quote:
Looks really clean nice find. plans?
It's actually very clean for a MN car, I guess it came from Texas but I havent verified that yet.

Plans for now are not written in stone but I have a bunch of parts laying around including RC550 injectors, AFPR with lines, Walboro 255, MBC, boost gauge and a phantom grip. I picture dsmlink, a e316g, ebay FMIC, wb02 and exhaust. Would kinda like to see what I can do with this little 1.6.

Quote:
Wow, great car. That interior looks pretty darn clean! I also had no idea archer racing was still in business. That's a major blast from the past.
Interior is great minus the missing shift boot, going to have to find one as it bugs me.

We are still around though the economical times have really taken it's toll on the racing world. Currently we are a huge part of the North American Road Race Association, or NARRA.

Quote:
Nice, another clean red GT. :rock: I was wondering, do you know if any of the factory backed race DSMs from back in the day still exist? I would love to restore on of those.
The real race cars for the most part went to other race teams and were greatly changed. I almost had one of the 2g's a few years back that sat in a car museum for a while. They are few and far in between but if they retain any of the stock paint, they are almost unmistakable.
Quote:
Power windows
Quote:
Nice find. I love the condition of the seats. I know Scott who owns the Ninja Turtle 1g FWD Archer Car and it is awesome.
Dont know who scott is but there are few out there that are privately owned. I dont think we had ninja turtle 1g's, that was something we introduced with the 2g's im pretty sure. Someone could have added it to one of the old 1g cars...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:45 am 

I met with the previous owner today to pick up a bunch of spare parts he had. It looks as though he parted out almost an entire non-turbo colt. He had a dash, a headliner, all the interior minus the seats, 1.5 motor parts and wiring harnesses, bumpers, glass, etc etc etc. I took most of it to sort through but will probably toss allot.

He did tell me that the power windows were stock but they were very slow. He took the power out of the driver door and put manual in. But he still had the power window assembly! Doesn't look too hard to re-install so I may try it. I figure send some good power to those motors and lube up the sliders and hopefully they work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 am 

Quote:
Dont know who scott is but there are few out there that are privately owned. I dont think we had ninja turtle 1g's, that was something we introduced with the 2g's im pretty sure. Someone could have added it to one of the old 1g cars...
Here is a picture from a dyno day at the shop. See the ninja turtle on the quarter window?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:41 am 
CSM Junkie

I think I have an extra factory red lip sitting in my basement if you are interested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a picture from a dyno day at the shop. See the ninja turtle on the quarter window?

That is badass!
It's really hard to find info on these cars from what I've seen. The Paul Rossi cars had a pretty distinctive paint scheme as well.

89 Plymouth Colt GT
90 Talon TSI AWD
94 Montero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:08 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I've got almost the whole car documented now, but am wondering if I could get a shot of the driver door jamb plate, and the interior code option from the firewall. IT would appear that the hood was from a 1.5L car as it is tagged that way; wonder what happened to the original? Glad to see another car saved, haven't had an update to the registry with almost 5 cars swapping hands here in the last few months.

Enjoy your stay, very cool to a bit of nostalgia!

Cheers,

Tim

P.S. I run the Vin Registry. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30 am 

Quote:
I think I have an extra factory red lip sitting in my basement if you are interested.
Might be very interested, we should talk.

Car did come with the factory side skirts, just gotta put them back on.