4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:30 am 

So I have realized that I have a lot of dumb questions and I am in the process of getting the car on the road, so I figured I would start a build thread. So the story goes like this...

I was in the market for another car and was trying to buy a colt gt that was local but it seemed as though the seller was hesitant so I went searching for something else. That is when I found netninja2001's project. The car was 200 miles away but seemed like a pretty easy fix and wouldn't take long to get on the road. Well...I was kind of wrong lol.

This is the day it came home (not shown is the fact it is packed with parts and so was the back of the SUV that towed it home lol)

The tank was full of rust and bad gas so I had to deal with that crap. I tried a few over the counter rust removers but I couldn't get them to do anything worth while. So science to the rescue!

I used electrolysis to remove like 95 percent of the rust and it worked great.

Now it came time to tackle the wiring...

This was the MPI relay plug. He was having electrical issues and was having trouble trying to figure it out. He said he was wiring all the things the MPI controlled to switches to bypass it I guess. So I reconnected as many wires that were cut as I could find as well as removing the SAFCII, tubro timer, and putting the MAF translater back into the engine compartment. Goal was trying to get it as close to stock as I could, and starting over.

Was still having trouble figuring it all out and seemed to be missing some wires (maybe because the car was originally an auto?), so I yanked the engine harness and harness behind the dash and replaced them both. I also got an adapter harness from 89mirageman (If you read this I am still trying to get those plugs for you, I haven't forgotten I promise!). Unfortunately the car still didn't run...Turns out that pin 8 on the MPI wasn't getting ground from the ECU. I grounded that wire and it started!...then shut off immediately...UGH! After an hour me and my buddy tracked down the problem. The ECU wasn't recognizing that the fuel pump was getting voltage and there was another pin from the ecu that wasn't grounding. So we grounded that wire and it starts and stays running. WOOHOO!!! Pulled it out of the garage under its own power.

Unfortunately it sounds like it has a supercharger on it. I originally thought it was the alternator but its not. I think I have narrowed it down to the timing belt being to tight. So now to the questions. How to tell if its to tight. The service manual I was looking at says the tensioner should be extended 5/32 to 3/16 I think it said, but this is what it looks like.

There also seems to be a film of tiny shavings of metal all over. That could be from the harmonic balancer coming apart and wearing a hole through the timing cover though.

Edit 1:
Got an old bumper installed temporarily until I figure out a different way of running the intercooler.

It will have to do until I get this one on :twisted:

Last edited by malac0da on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:31 am 

TODO list:

1. Fix timing belt issue - Done
2. Fix temp guage - Done
3. Hook up tach - Done
4. Get new radiator
5. Get new intercooler and piping
6. Get new ECU - Done but think I'm going to try an Evo 8 ecu
7. Put interior back together - Mostly Done
8. Brakes/Wilwood kit
9. Finish painting grill - Painted but can't use until I get hood pins installed
10. Hook up intake and filter
11. Fix wipers - Done
12. Wire up drivers door sensor - Done
13. Maybe more?

Last edited by malac0da on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:23 am 
CSM Junkie

Timing belt is definitely too tight. Get a tiny allen key and slide it into the tensioner hole. Slowly loosen the tensioner pulley until the pressure is slightly released and the allen key can be slid all the way in the tensioner piston. I would recommend getting at least a new timing belt at this point and setting the tension properly when installing it. It is possible that the tensioner is now toast though, so an OEM model should be on the possible list too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:44 am 

Man I feel your pain!! I had wiring issues that drove me nuts. My car was a base model and I was using the harness from a 1G eclipse. One used a single MFI relay and one used 2 relay's. I kept putting off the wiring and stalling working on it because I was dreading the wiring. One day I sat down with both wiring diagrams and figured it out on paper. I did it so long ago I don't remeber any of it. Good news is, it works!!!
It is always worth it to do it right, nice to see someone saving a original GT from extreme hackery!!
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 am 

It wasn't an original gt unfortunately. The timing belt and tensioner look brand new and it's only been driven a couple miles so I don't think any permanent damage should have been done. I will have to take a look at the book and your description and see if I can figure it out lol. Never messed with the timing belt on this car yet. I did line up all the timing marks before and it looked like the can gear on the right might have been off a tooth. Would that make a huge difference? I'll line them up again and snap a pic to show what I mean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:55 am 

Never mind about the cam timing...when I lined it up before the dowels weren't facing up. Looks like they line up as close as you could get right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:31 am 

Glad you got the wiring all figured out. The timing looks spot on to me.

I swear these cars will test you to the end. When I first got mine back together and kept having problems with the brakes a part out crossed my mind more than once I must admit. But I decided to just walk away for a few days and finally after a ton of searching online I found the issue and it took me 30 min to fix it. It's been trouble free ever since and I'm so glad I didn't give up.

I wish Tom was still around making those bumpers too. I just can't pay $600-$1000 for one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:55 am 

[s]This one is actually from Austria I believe. There is a tag in the fiberglass in the back that says that I believe. I'll go out and take a picture of it in a little bit.[/s]
Edit: scratch that it is Toms

Last edited by malac0da on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am 

Yeah I remember Karl was one of the first guys to have one of Tom's kits because he was pretty local. I always held off thinking I could pick one up any time and drive up to get it. Then the fire came and destroyed the mold :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:12 am 

The address and number on the tag is actually really local to me lol. It's like 45 minutes away tops. If I decide to get rid of the whole kit I will definitely let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:01 pm 

I'd only be interested in the front bumper to be honest but I'd take all of it if I had to 8) . No pressure or anything but should you decide to part ways with it please give me dibs. I actually tried to buy it off Karl months ago but he assured me it was going with the car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:15 pm 

If I thought I could sell the side skirts and bumper to someone else I'd split it but I don't see that happening lol. But if I do end up selling it I'll give you first cracked at a very reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:07 am 
The Silent Administrator

So this is where the silver bullet ended up going!

Glad it got trailered home. My pipe dream of getting it here on it's own steam would have been dashed in a hurry.

My other option would have been to dolly it behind my folks motorhome as they were venturing about the Eastern American Seabord, on their way home from Florida.

Sounds like you are most of the way there for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

give that car some lovin !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Have any pictures of the tank after? Also how long did the process take? I'm considering doing this to my AWD tank...

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero