4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:39 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I didnt know the NT trans could hold up so well.

Also I guess my times are not accurate, We made a big mistake the day we installed the wideband and tuned it. we never reconnected the original 02 sensor or spliced it so the ecu would have a signal. Damnit, so I really dont know what the car can do because the whole time at the track it was in limp mode.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I didnt know the NT trans could hold up so well.

Also I guess my times are not accurate, We made a big mistake the day we installed the wideband and tuned it. we never reconnected the original 02 sensor or spliced it so the ecu would have a signal. Damnit, so I really dont know what the car can do because the whole time at the track it was in limp mode.

Yeah I heard someone went 11s on a stock 2.0 nt trans, so to me that impressive,lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 pm 

Hello everybody! This thread is super old lol but I'm the guy who ran 13.77 on the N/T trans in ny 94 Excel, and it's still holding uo great! I also think that's why my axle fitment is so good, I'm using the stock excel axles. As far as the crossmember I used the 92-95 elantra Xmember, bolted the rear up and drilled two holes for the front to mount. Currently the Excel is getting a full "drag style" make over with stiff suspension in the back, 5-lug brake upgrade upfront, and some other goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

Eggy, let's get this car back on the road man!!! Killing those honda boys!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

Damn, I really dig the excel swap...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:36 am 
CSM Junkie

I know this is a old thread but I need help, no in new england is willing to shorten cv axles was thinking if I cut to correct length for the hyundai using eclipse axles and welding the bearing base to the axle without splines, will it hold up to 400hp +?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:00 am 
CSM Junkie

i have one ultrom ultra-8 axle they can be purchased at napa, they are short to begn with, and they have a good extra inch of splined section on them. i have to order a second one, and im scared to, because who knows if they changed their design, well see

the one ive modified measures 22 3/4 compressed.

how much will it weaken it because i heated it up a bit to cut it? i have no idea but its gotta be a lot better than cutting and welding

400hp might need d$$ axles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:42 am 
CSM Junkie

If I go over 400hp + torque then I'm going to worry a lot about it, right now trying to run a 2g dsm fwd trans seeing that I'm come across those like hot cakes lately but only down fall is the diff. The diff is 27 splines vs 25 of the rest of the mitsu are. So now I have to use 2g axles and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I might do your method but not sure how much can it hold up. Eventually he is going to drive shaft shop to have them make new 600hp axles for $450 but right he doesn't have cash for that but would like the car to be mobile for right now.

The other method some guy did was, cutting a section in the middle, sleeve it with thick wall gauge steel and weld it on but I'm kinda thrown back from that. Ugh, hyundai problems,lol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:18 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

The other method some guy did was, cutting a section in the middle, sleeve it with thick wall gauge steel and weld it on but I'm kinda thrown back from that. Ugh, hyundai problems,lol.
I dont see the problem with this method. I would shot peen the welds after. driveshafts are made with welding peices together and no treatments after.. why freak out about welding axle?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:39 am 
CSM Junkie

More than one person told me not to do so cuz they are heat treated axles and welding is weaker than the heat treated shafts. In order to wel you have to heat treat the axles first before welding.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:26 am 
CSM Junkie

they may be heat treated. but its only important on the splined ends. thats always the weakest point. that area of heat treatment will not be affected. the welded center will not be the axles weak point. it will still break at the machined spline end. this is just an area where experience trumps theory. your just asking the wrong people. welding does kill any heat treatment. so if you thought the welded area would be weak the axle could be re heat treated. but like I said earlier all thats really needed is to shot peen the welded area. even that is not needed though. but its the first step to making the welded area stronger.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

Lancerman, what you think I should do then? If welded should it be mig or stick welded? What gauge thickness sleeve should I get? Mild or chromoly?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ive worked as a welder and fabricator for over 10 years and i too think the strenghth wouldnt be the big issue. The challenge i see is keeping the axle perfectly straight even the slightest bend in it would cause a lot of vibration. Even a long sleeve wont guaranty allignment and no matter what you do welding and heat always cause warpage.

You will have to put it on a lathe with a dial indicator to make sure. Then bump it with a press or something to straighten accordingly.

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

you can search google pics for "welded cv shaft" lots of different ways to do this. including ways to do it without a sleeve. I would use a .200 thick chromoly sleeve. I dont think a few thousand warp would even be an issue. cv joint would absorb that. mig welding is just as strong as tig if done right. tig just looks prettier.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:08 pm 

Slide the sleeve on, then clamp some angle on to make sure its straight. Weld the axle together, grind it smooth and then slide the sleeve over the weld and weld that on each end.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next