4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:00 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH.

The past few days the motor was sounding kinda rough, Like a buzzsaw. I tore the oil pan off last night and found the rear balance shaft bearing laying in the oil pan! Time for a new oil pump and BSEK! I have the kit, I just need the new oil pump. Anyone have any for sale? While Im in there I will be replacing the Cam seals as well. Ugh Labor of love.

Heres what I found laying in the Oilpan, Rear balance shaft Bearing

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

Last edited by moidsm1 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 am 

Quote:
Ugh Labor of love.
That's EXACTLY what it's all about brother.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:14 pm 
CSM Junkie

good thing you caught it before it siezed the oil pump and then broke/slipped the timing belt resulting in bent/broken valves... that would be the end of that motor!! i had the same thing happen to me as well.

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 pm 

That happened to a buddy of mine on his NT Motor. This is actually the second time ive seen this, The other on a laser I had a while back. Warning, If you ever think you have a rod knock, You better check everything that could vibrate with engine RPM, IE Exhausts, Brackets, Etc Etc. If you cant find anything vibrating dont drive it! Take the pan off to inspect!

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm 
CSM Junkie

heres my rear balance shaft bearing i pulled out of the pan in my old dsm. looks like it had a run in with the crankshaft on the way down lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:52 am 
CSM Junkie

Here is pics from my 93 hyundai excel 4g63t swap:

Here is another I build for my buddy that lives in New Jersey:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:36 am 

turbotom20g

Your Cardomain page is what helped me out with my swap. I did have some questions about axles for you a while back but I guess you didnt have the problems I had. Im assuming X2 and X3 Chassis are different. Im likin the Silver Hatch.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 am 
CSM Junkie

i wonder how these lightweight exel chassis will hold up when you start throwing 400 HP through them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 am 
CSM Junkie

Well if its like my elantra which has hallowed 16ga frame rails. Is cover those with some rectangular tubing and Polly call it good for awhile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
turbotom20g

Your Cardomain page is what helped me out with my swap. I did have some questions about axles for you a while back but I guess you didnt have the problems I had. Im assuming X2 and X3 Chassis are different. Im likin the Silver Hatch.

Yeah I did have the same problem and I have so many people on Car Domain about the swap so if I didn't answer your question, I'm sorry. I'm really glad that my car domain help you out because when I first started the swap I didn't have NO HELP what so ever. I even called RRE because they did a swap years back and I asked them if they could give me any info and they said "it's been so long that they can't remember",lol. So I kept at it, a lot hours in my favorite junk yard and a lot of measuring + thinking to fit this baby in. This was the best car I ever had to put together and sometimes I wished I haven't sold it.

Yeah the axle issues was annoying me and when I saw the post about welding the other shaft, I was like SON of a BITCH!!!,lol. That was a great idea and I told my buddy with the another excel. He was so excited that he can't wait for me to make him one,lol. Now I can thank you for a really good idea,lol. If you have any other problems or info, just let me know through im or emails and be gladly to help :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:08 pm 

Tom man I've got to hand it to you. My mom had one of these cars and that just makes me laugh when I see yours. Not because it's funny in any way but because I know how slow her car was with the 4G15 in it and to see it with rims and a 4G63t just puts a smile on my face. I know this car has to be rediculously fast and honestly it makes me want one. My mom bought her 94 Excel 1.5 auto back in 1998 for $4000 and while it was extremely clean it was still a POS. But I'll tell you one thing, it's amazing what speed and a set of rims would do for a car. Your red car is the same color and everything that my mom's hatch was. I used to take it for rides through the orange groves when I lived in Florida and...well...it just brings back alot of funny memories. It reminds me of my first car...a 89 Ford Festiva. What I wouldn't do to have that car now with a MX3 turbo swap.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Tom man I've got to hand it to you. My mom had one of these cars and that just makes me laugh when I see yours. Not because it's funny in any way but because I know how slow her car was with the 4G15 in it and to see it with rims and a 4G63t just puts a smile on my face. I know this car has to be rediculously fast and honestly it makes me want one. My mom bought her 94 Excel 1.5 auto back in 1998 for $4000 and while it was extremely clean it was still a POS. But I'll tell you one thing, it's amazing what speed and a set of rims would do for a car. Your red car is the same color and everything that my mom's hatch was. I used to take it for rides through the orange groves when I lived in Florida and...well...it just brings back alot of funny memories. It reminds me of my first car...a 89 Ford Festiva. What I wouldn't do to have that car now with a MX3 turbo swap.

Yeah my 1.5 was slower than shit running up hill and it was only a 4 speed which at 65mph it would tach out at 4500 on that poor little motor,lol. So I put a 5 speed which made it 2x better than then the motor was on it's way out so I said screw it 4g63 swap. The first day that it was done, the SRT-4s started to pop up so everyone in there mothers had one. We hang out at wendy's so that night at least 15 neons, 10 hondas, 5 VWs and others etc....

Well as I was coming around the bend, I still had 13s on with hub caps, well I roasted 2nd while still doing 30mph and roasted 3rd. All I could see was massive smoke behind me because of the cheap tires that I had on. Dudes in the park lot was freaking out saying : WTF is that thing? One guy said, " it's a volvo turbo" Another said, " nah it's a turbo Jetta" and the VW guys was like, that's not a jetta, WTF!

So I parked it and I had everyone come and look at it and ask me WTF is this thing. Before I could say anything, someone in the back of my car was like "THIS IS A fruit and banana HYUNDAI?" I laughed and said " yup it's a hyundai excel" people roared in disbelief that a little hyundai could do that. The guys there was like this thing is on steroids, and I had another honda guy "say it's must have a LS turbo" and I replied to him "NO! you just hurt my feelings",lol. Everybody asked me what I had in it and I said " not going to say a word " some day it will leak out and then you will know, but for now just remember what you saw,lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 am 
CSM Junkie

Car looks good.. All but the yellowed headlights.. Take some 1200 grit wet dry sandpaper and clean those puppies ... lol. Other than that the car is pretty neat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 am 

Update:

I have over 500 Miles after Balance shaft elimination. All is good. I was able to replace all seals and gaskets while I was in there, so Now all leaks are gone :D Now Im focusing on the body and getting it to look the way I want. Im gonna try and Polish it up today. Also, Last week I got 29MPG. I think it could have been better, but A few times I got into the pedal.

I re-Installed the original Radiator after having it cleaned out by a radiator shop. The Civic Rad was not cooling well. Plus I like to keep the engine bay looking factory 8)

Another thing I did was Install some replacement front struts, I went with Gabriels coz they were cheap. I also cut one coil off the front springs.

Short term Plans:
(1.) I have my Extra 14B stuff being ported right now, I will have 02 Housing Ported with External Dump, 2G exhaust Manni, 14b Hotside being ported to match the manifold. I think it should be a good flowing 14B by then. Then I may turn the boost up to 17Lbs.

(2.) Find some 15" Wheels.

Long term plans:

(1.) Install MAFT so I can finally get this car tuned

(2.) Do a front brake upgrade. Im thinking of using a set of EXPO Knuckle/Hubs with VR4 dual pistons and Discs.

(3.) Fix the e-Brake cables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm 

you aer missing 1 thing in the long term portion,

(4.) try to find some traction somewhere :o

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next