4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:44 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Hey,

A little backround on me,

In the past Ive owned a few DSM's, a 89 Colt GT, GVR4 and back in 2003 I was one of the first few to do a Mighty max Swap with the help from Jason at Hot rod coffee shop and inspiration from Eric Plebanis Mighty Max SPX video! Jason had just finished his first swap in his red truck and I somehow stumbled onto his page.

Well years have gone by and I got the Itch to do something different again. Ive always liked the look of the Hyundai excels, my favorite being the 4 door hatch models. Those are super hard to find around here, so I ended up finding something equal in my eyes. a 1991 Excel SE, Which I gess stands for Sports Edition. The difference with mine is that it has a factory rear Mid-wing, Tachometer, sunroof and sporty seats! Oh yea before I forget, Thank You Craigslist, you have been my friend since the first time I visited your site!

Now the body is in OK condition, I have bad fading on the rear bumper and mid wing, The rest of the paint could be brought back to life with a good polish, but I still havent gotten around to that. The interior looked like it hasent been vaccumed since Operation Desert Storm, coffee, soda, ciggarette butts in the rear ash trays,found an old Bell-Biv-Devoe cassette, you get the Idea. Lots of hard work, but thats ok, Its fun for me.

I think I bought the car back in March this year from Chandler AZ and pulled it home due to a bad clutch, The 4G15 is still good and hopefully soon I will sell it to someone who can use it.

Fast forward 5 months and the swap is about 99 percent done. I still have some bugs to work out with my mounts and I hope to be able to source a colt halfshaft so I can get rid of the excel axle that pops out! Here is a pic of the car with the motor in. I will post the progress and explanantions once i figure out where all my pics are stored. Damn SD cards!

The Car has a front bumper off a 93 Scoupe.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

Last edited by moidsm1 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:52 pm 

The Peppy 4G15 being retired after 19 years of service spanning 160 thousand miles of fierce Arizona Heat!

Note the differneces in the Engine Bay Setup

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Last edited by moidsm1 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm 

After a little Scrubbing, Im not a OCD person, but Im not lazy either!

The Excel normally routes the engine harness near the steering column, I could have used the same location but It was going to be too much work to shorten most of the wires, and I didnt want to risk weakening the connections.
In order to route the harness like a dsm you have to drill a hole in the firewall, I chose this location, right below the AC Box and centered over that rubber matt clamp.

Dropping the motor in

I just realized that I never made a parts list for the build so heres what I can remember:

6Bolt 4G63T, or whatever motor you can source
FWD Eclipse Turbo Trans with tranny plate,
FWD DSM turbo Flywheel and clutch and Release bearing
DSM Shifter,cables and all associated brackets
4G63 Harness, I used one from a Galant GS. I added my own knock sensor wire and added an extra wire for the MAF
90 or 91 4G63t ECM, depending on what sensors you use
1.8l DSM water neck, It points straight forward.
all brackets and mounts from a early elantra with 4G motor
4G63 ECI relay

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Last edited by moidsm1 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 pm 

Looks good so far? Are the excels and the mitsubishi precis the same car? I know that mitsu and hyundai shared the same design on some engines but these two cars look the same. There is a faded red precis about 4 miles from here just sitting in someones driveway. I've been so tempted to stop by and offer them a few hundred bucks for it. Looks to be in great shape.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 am 

Precis and Excel are the DSM's of Korea! Its so hard to find a Precis these days, Ive seen two in the last five years. from I think 1985-1993 Mitsu built the motors and Hyundai made the chassis. Hyundai didnt start making their own motors till around 1994.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Last edited by moidsm1 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:53 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Precis is a Hyundai excel with badge engineering.

Although A Hyundai excel/early scoupe/precis, is just an updated version of the c10 colt/mirages built by Hyundai. The suspension and body are almost identical, but they all get the multiport mitsu made 4g15, with a weird wiring setup.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:45 am 

My rear suspension is nowhere near Identical to CSM, It has trailing arm with a normal shock! If I ever consider AWD I will most likely go with a solid rear Axle/ link setup. Even if I dont do AWD, I have no clue on how to get some disc brakes for the rear. Ill try to get a pic of what Im talkin about.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 am 
CSM Dik

Awesome glad to see someone documenting this swap! Can't wait to see more pics! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 pm 

Blurry Pic but it shows a mock setup of the wire harness. I actually started the motor this way once I found all the power sources I needed.

Heres is where I mounted the ECU and MPI relay. You can see where the harness passes through the firewall. A little info about the Harness. I used a harness from a 1990 Galant GS. Reason why is becuase I had the car on hand. I had to add the Knock wire and do some pin swapping on 6 and 14 for use with a 91 ECU. The major difference I noticed with the Galant harness is that it uses all 91 components except for the ISC and CAS. It uses the old style pigtail ISC and CAS for some reason. For the Knock sensor wire I used a shielded TV antenna wire, the kind you can find for CB radios. Im not sure if this is the best method as I have yet to use a logger on this car. I dont know what knock I may be getting, but I do not have any Check engine lights.

The pic shows me using a 90 ECU, but I decided to use the 91 afterwards

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Last edited by moidsm1 on Fri May 20, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 pm 

Quote:
My rear suspension is nowhere near Identical to CSM, It has trailing arm with a normal shock! If I ever consider AWD I will most likely go with a solid rear Axle/ link setup. Even if I dont do AWD, I have no clue on how to get some disc brakes for the rear. Ill try to get a pic of what Im talkin about.
I said the C10 not the c50's. C10 is second generation :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:56 pm 

I did not know that! Im gna have to look into that, thank you Sir.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm 

Awesome!!! Keep posting updates!

I have your twin in white. I've been searching for a good rear suspension solution for years now. My previous Excel and the current car had/has cut springs and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. Rides firm and not bouncy but the spring has the potential to fall out with the suspension at full droop. Pretty annoying when jacking up the rear of the car for anything to have to re-situate the springs every time. It appears than 1st generation xB springs have a very similar taper at top and bottom so I may try those. I've also tossed around the idea of adding eyelets top and bottom and a plastic coated cable that would limit suspension travel and correct the spring moving/falling out issue. I want the car as low as I can get it (easy to do on my 99 GSX, just add Tein and voila!) and retain the performance of a quality true coilover. If you have any thoughts/suggestions I'd appreciate them!

Tom

'03 Trailblazer - Ours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:36 pm 

Please add pics of your mountings :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:27 am 

Just for the record, This is a pic of a Hyundai Excel rear suspension. Looks like I can put in a solid axle if the Gas tank was removed right?

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:42 am 

Motor Mount Info.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!! DO NOT USE A 97 AND UP ELANTRA/SONATA TIMING MOUNT, U WILL HATE LIFE AND LOOSE HOURS OF COPLETION TIME IF YOU DO. USE THE EARLY ELANTRA MOUNT! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I had a hard time with this task, It seemed that nothing lined up at all, I tried using an 94 Elantra crossmember, but for some reason it would not line up with the bolt locations, so I opted to use the original Excel mount. I had to cut out a long notch for the oil sump, Not 100% necessary but I didnt want to take any chances with clearances. Since I cut it I was worried about its strength. I welded a one inch angle iron to the bottom of it, hopefully this will be enough. I

I also welded in some 1" square tubing in the front bolt holes to lower the whole setup. I started out long and trimmed to line up the motor mount bolt holes.

The rear rubber mount is the original Excel Mount. and the front rubber is from any fwd DSM, Galant. The timing mount is from a early elatra with 4G6 motor, (Thanks 89mirageman) and the tranny rubber is original excel. Ok now pay close attention.

I first got the motor in place using the tranny and timing mounts, Then I bolted in the crossmember.
Next, I was able to tilt the motor this way. Once I had the desired tilt I welded the front and rear Rubber mounts to the Crossmember. I didnt feel they needed to be removeable since I am going to fill them with poly inserts.

As for the motor brackets, I cant really remember, But I think the rear is from the Excel. Front may be DSM. Sorry, but when your doin something like this, writing stuff down becomes the last priority.

The Mount Setup

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible