4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Swap number 3 underway
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:00 pm 
Some call me a god

As some of you might remember I picked up a 90 mirage hatchback w/ 41k miles on it awhile ago. My fiance drove it a lot to CT and back and for school and it's been a pretty decent car. But recently it started giving her problems and then the alternator went on it. I had been planning on swapping it eventually and eventually is now. lol So today I started to do work. Got about 4 hours into it so far. Old motor and harness are out, I quickly cleaned up the bay and the 1g harness is in and done. Tomorrow the motor is going together and if all goes well it will be in the car by the end of the day. Maybe even riding and driving but that's probably pushing it. I'm going to a completely stock look with this swap, nothing giving the swap away on the outside and the interior and engine looking stock. On to the pictures.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:24 pm 
Some call me a god

Love the teal colts! Cant wait to see this thing together.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:31 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Love the teal colts! Cant wait to see this thing together.
I actually like the teal color too, unfortunately my fiance isn't much of a fan and has asked a couple times if I'll paint it for her.

You shouldn't have to wait too long for this to be done, I have all the parts I need.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 pm 
CSM O.G.

what axles and tranny are you using.
love the teal, too

~joe

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
what axles and tranny are you using.
love the teal, too

~joe
Turbo mirage outer axles and dsm intermediate shaft with 1g fwd tranny. I'll be running a ACT 2100 w/ clutchnet organic unsprung with a fidanza flywheel.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm 
Some call me a god

Motor started as a short block and head and this is where it's at now. I purposely didn't clean stuff up too much because I want the motor to look like it's always been there. Didn't get a much done as I wanted to because of rain today but tomorrow the motor and tranny will be in and should be running and driving.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
Some call me a god

She will be on the road and driving today. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:57 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

wow I think that might be the quickest swap ever :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:39 pm 
Some call me a god

All done. Here's a run down of the parts I used with the swap.
-92 6 bolt 4g63 w/ 91 fwd transmission w/ 4g15 shifter arms
-stock 1.5l manual driver's side axle (I can't get the intermediate shaft to bolt up using a fwd tranny)
-89 mirage GT 1.6l manual passenger axle
-stock 1.5l front, tranny and rear mounts (rear and tranny modded), 92-95 elantra timing belt mount
-stock shifter cables, shifter and bracket
-91 dsm engine and starter harness, stock dash, fan and alternator wiring harness
-Chris's jumper harness
-91 dsm ecu
-dsm mpi relay
-stock radiator w/ stock thermostat top, dsm lower hose, stock upper
-12" slim fan w/ stock wiring
-stock 91 gst downpipe + cat w/ piping and muffler

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Fri May 07, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:23 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

what mounts did you use?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Added to the post above. Just a little note, your car won't start without the intake manifold ground. Ask me how I know... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:39 pm 

Well, I feel like crap. Mine has been down since November and I still don't have a tranny, the entire front suspension is still off and I have to put the t-belt on :oops: . Drive on down here and help me finish my car up.

What do you mean the intermediate shaft won't bolt on with the fwd tranny? You have to have the AC bracket bolted on because it spaces out the bracket on the shaft. I usually just cut the lower corner off of the AC bracket if I'm not putting the AC back on to save a pound or two. You also have to take a new fwd tranny seal and clean it up, then use rtv to glue an awd seal to it. Sounds kinda ghetto but I promise it works perfect.

Edit: This is with a dsm intermediate shaft also. I think the csm turbo ones snap right in and work with the fwd seal.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Well, I feel like crap. Mine has been down since November and I still don't have a tranny, the entire front suspension is still off and I have to put the t-belt on :oops: . Drive on down here and help me finish my car up.

What do you mean the intermediate shaft won't bolt on with the fwd tranny? You have to have the AC bracket bolted on because it spaces out the bracket on the shaft. I usually just cut the lower corner off of the AC bracket if I'm not putting the AC back on to save a pound or two. You also have to take a new fwd tranny seal and clean it up, then use rtv to glue an awd seal to it. Sounds kinda ghetto but I promise it works perfect.

Edit: This is with a dsm intermediate shaft also. I think the csm turbo ones snap right in and work with the fwd seal.
Haha, you shouldn't feel like crap, your build is way cleaner and detailed then mine. Plus, it helps that I can work on it all day.

I really don't know why but I can't get the dsm intermediate shaft to work with a fwd tranny. I'm using the a/c bracket and the holes just won't align.

Took her up to the track tonight with some friends to see how she'd go.
Best time was 15.3 @ 89 mph, this was on 7 psi (b16g), no intercooler and stock catback exhaust on 175 winters. Plenty of room for improvement, I'm happy with the results so far.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:15 am 

Are you sure the intermediate shaft is from a 5 speed car? I know there are slight differences between the two.

If it is from a manual car for sure jack the front of the car up and take one hand and rotate the tire while pushing in on the intermediate shaft. Then again if the axle you are using is working fine I would probably just leave it. If its a na axle though it probably didn't seat correctly and it could fly out of the diff.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:47 am 
Some call me a god

Ya, it's a manual shaft I'm pretty sure I got it from you. I guess I could bore out the bolt holes a little but I tried everything to make it fit, just would work. For now the stock axle is working fine.