4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
You unbolted the 24(?)mm nut behind the axle cup and removed the axle? The spindle should fall out after that.
O yes, the cup is off, only thing keeping it on is the bearing. The other side took a little bit of pounding but nothing like this side. I am really lost as to what to do, I'm going to destroy the threads if I hammer on it harder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:59 pm 

Maybe I'm completely clueless to something but what is the reason for cutting the 1G in so many pieces? Hell I thought I cut up my 2g pretty good for a guy that needed strut towers and another person needed all the AWD stuff for their spyder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:02 pm 
CSM Expert

I did the same thing with my donor car!

I spent weeks with a sawzall blade and torch cutting the car into little bite size pieces in the garage. I put a few pieces out with the garbage cans every week and took the bigger stuff (hood, hatch, doors) to local grocery store dumpsters :)

Anyways, I disposed an entire car that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:12 pm 

95tsiawd$ I saw you cut out floorpan where rear driveshaft mounts. What did you do with them. I am looking for those pieces to complete my Colt. Anybody else have these?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:24 pm 
Some call me a god

I cut it up so much because it's much easier to move and I can take most of it myself to the local metal recycler and get about 100 bucks for all of it.

Onto updates-

I still can't get the axle shaft out. And I have obliterated the threads on the end of it from hammering it. So I'm sourcing another one and going to drop the subframe off at a garage to have them get it off as I've done everything I possibly can to get it out.

The mirage is now in the garage, un-thawing. After I'm done lunch I'll go out and start tearing into it, stripping the interior, front end and maybe start the front motor mounts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:10 pm 

My bad. Just realized 95tsiawd$ cut up a 2g. I need those parts from 1g awd.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:40 pm 
Some call me a god

The problem hub.

The mirage interior nice and stripped. My fiance helped me with that. :)

The dsm rear seats fit pretty good and are 10x more comfortable so I'm going to retrofit them in.
I'm also going to use the dsm center console.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm 
Some call me a god

Front end all tore apart

Intake manifold wasn't as bad as I thought.

Finally got that axle shaft out, took 2 days of soaking in pb blaster and 20 hits from a 8 lbs sledge hammer. :o

All smashed up, new one is on the way.

Hmmm that bearing was suppose to come out with the shaft... That explains some of it.

I went out and got some material for redoing my headliner today so I decided to tackle that tonight with my fiance. Wasn't too bad really, just followed the directions. 3 coats crossing each other on the headliner and 3 coats on the new material, let them dry for about 10 mins and then put the new stuff on. I used 3m super adhesive, I don't think there will be any problems with it staying on. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:55 pm 
Some call me a god

Front mount done-

And the back mount is done-

Made some good progress today I think, I've missed welding, haven't gotten to weld in a while. I also got some more stuff for my interior that I'll do later tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 pm 
Some call me a god

Did you use a flux core welder?

And im afraid that rear mount might not hold.. you welded it in like 3 places.. Not knocking your work. But No chance i'd run that rear mount like that. that take ALOT of the engines load.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:04 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Did you use a flux core welder?

And im afraid that rear mount might not hold.. you welded it in like 3 places.. Not knocking your work. But No chance i'd run that rear mount like that. that take ALOT of the engines load.
Ya, it's gas-less welds, but they are strong, I checked to make sure I was getting good penitration. The rear mount is welded in more spots then you can see, I will probably flatten the firewall and add some more welds though. I'm pretty confident that will be fine the way it is. The rear mount mainly takes the torque not the weight of the motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 pm 
Some call me a god

Another good day working on the project. I added some more welds to the back motor mount, got the rearend out and mounting area cut out, cut out the spare tire well and got the back subframe mount all mocked up.

Here's a few pictures of the interior I've been working on. I simply cleaned the panels and gave them a couple coats of dye. Came out good and should last awhile. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 am 
Some call me a god

Interior is coming together very nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:17 am 
Some call me a god

Nice job on the paneling :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm 
Some call me a god

Yes looks good. I have those exact panels, well one is burgandy not blue, how did you replace the fabric?

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next