4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 2628 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 pm 
Some call me a god

Now that you mention it, it does. Even more so when it is being revved up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:48 pm 
Some call me a god

Just need to get some time to start the next phase. Hopefully this week or next we will being the roll cage. I got some more tubing as well this week. For now this will have to do guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm 
Some call me a god

Geeheez man! Isn't that the type of seat that astronauts would sit in on takeoff? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 am 
Some call me a god

Some small updates. Got 80% of the roll cage tacked in. Got the seat more or less situated and mounted. Ordered the parachute finally. Got in a set of actual C53A turbo axles. I need to get new bearings and boots on them and set them aside for a rainy day.

I also had to move the coolant overflow, battery box and tweak the mounting point for the fuel cell for the roll cage. I should have listened to Nick and done the cage first. But, I really wanted to get the other stuff in there first. As it was important to me to keep the car running and move forward with the engine developement.

The car needs a new motor. It does not like to start unless it has been sitting somewhere really warm. I have to use starter fluid to get it started quickly. I think I am just going to put a 2.0L together and just make it easy on myself. I think I am going to retire the 1.6L before I ever see what it is worth. I just don't trust it and am nervous the bearings may not be in great shape. They very well could be, but I would rather just retire it running and just refreshen it and tuck it away. I don't want to window the block or tear the crank up when there is no reason to. And I want to push the turbo a bit, and just don't want to have the worst happen to a perfectly good engine.

So for now, that is all I have. I will have pictures once we get a few more things done in the car. I may wait until it is fully welded. It by no means is a professional TIG welded cage, but it was designed with safety in mind and has more points than I have every seen in a CSM. Aside from non-robot looking welds, it has turned out great so far. But we did MIG weld it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 am 
Some call me a god

Had a very productive weekend so far. Got some done two weekends ago as well. The cage is 80% done. Let me know what you guys think of the cage.

It is 19 points total. And if you count the bard under the seat, than it is 21 points. Came out more than I thought it would. And a bit crazier than I thought it was going to be. But I am happy with it. I pretty much did all the cutting and notching, and Nick helped me when I got stuck. I did have better luck this weekend though than my first try.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Take this for what it's worth...But why on gods green earth are you welding on top a battery and fuel cell i assume it is empty but regardless the fumes is the issue...It takes 15min to take the stuff out Your adding saftey equipment in an unsafe manner....Just a fyi....Other wise hope you pass tech and it's safe thats what matters i ? some of it, but it's not me building it so....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Tank has been empty for some time now. The battery was in the box just before these pictures were taken. It just got in the way finally. I was in the process of taking it out. Thanks for pointing it out though. The pictures were just for affect. Just quick tacks.

I know everybody looks at it funny, but we set out to build an actual cage and a capsule for the driver. Not a traditional roll bar setup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:41 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Can you fit in that hole on the driver side?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:52 pm 
Some call me a god

Just enough to be efficient. My friend who will drive it can get in and out as well. It ain't pretty, but these are the types of cages you see at bonneville. Unorthodox.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm 
Some call me a god

Does land speed still allow for ERW???

Why would cut the box rails on the roof that's the strongest part?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:51 pm 
Some call me a god

What is erw? Electronic robotic weld? We wanted the main hoop right against the roof. That was the only option we had. The hoop is a finger width away from the top of the car there.

We just were not able to put the main hoop on the lower part of the floor. This was a small comprimise we had to make. This cage did not go smooth at all. The shape of the car made everything complicated. From the floor to the roof to just not enough space.

Roll cages are much harder than I thought. Now I see why so few people do them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm 
Some call me a god

Cage material is ERW...I didn't know if they allowed it??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm 
Some call me a god

All the rule books I have ever seen and as far as I know, they have only ever allowed dom tubing or chromoly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 am 
Some call me a god

Got a ton accomplished this weekend. Got some more bars in the car, got some metal so keep my arms in the car, got 90-95% of the roll cage done, modified and moved my coolant overflow, got the seat mounted and got all the harnesses figured out and mounted.

The one thing to really note this weekend was we had to build a new fuel tank. The 5 gallon tank I bought just was not going to work. It was in the way of every thing we were trying to do. And building a full fire wall for the rear of the car was going to be a huge pain. So we built a tank to mount in the stock location. All my hoses clear it with ease, something I had trouble with with the stock tank. It holds 14.5 gallons. So I also tripled my fuel capacity this weekend.

These pictures were just before we pressure tested it and threw down some welds to seal up the leaks. There is also a tip-over valve just to the left of the fill cap. It was not installed until after the pressure tests.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm 
Some call me a god

Here is everyone encouraging me to drill a hole with a hole saw. This is how not to do it. I had no pilot bit, so the fruit and banana just danced all over. I gave it one shot and went to get the right tool. They all wanted to see me being a genious in action. This is what happens at 4am after you have been working on a car for 12 hours.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/How-NOT ... 740873.htm

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 2628 Next