4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
The car is prepped for paint. The inside of the car is getting painted black and the outside is going to be a silver color. I still have a little more to do inside the car, but the body it ready. We have not made too much progress on the front end, but it is pretty much ready for fiberglass.

Now after dicking with the other car, I have a spare good running motor for the colt. I have a head I am working on right now for it, I am just a set of cams away from getting this thing on the motor. I have no intention on swapping parts if something happens to the motor racing. So I will have to identical setups. Just pull out the hurt motor, and install the back up. Same cams, same oil filter housing, water pump and all. Finally nice to have a spare running motor, too bad it is only a stock motor. But hea, at least I am a year ahead of schedule to where I wanted that program to be. I was planning on building one next year, but now it is done. And it is cheaper. Now I have can also run in two engine classes.

Cage looks good.. I have to second I don't like the bumper much at all can't you get like a 97 camaro front bumper and mod that? It's very aerodynamic. ;)

Wheres your cooling vent on the front bumper for the Rad?? You should run a huge tunnel threw the whole car lol That would be sick. Like on the Ferrari F430 or something. Ef it Chop the top.. two while your at it..

How much would it cost to have a bumper beam like that made? I likes it an want one.. Don't need a push beam section though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:29 am 
Some call me a god

The whole car is going to be very low off the ground. There is no bumper that is going to do what I am looking for. And if you look close, there is no bumper yet. It is just a mold. Just expanded foam. The fiberglass is still a few weeks away from being layed down. So no vent, supports or anything.

Again, look back a few pages to see what we envision the car looking like. It will have side skirts and wheel covers. Pretty much be hovering off the ground. If you do any research for competition coupes in LSR racing, this is highly common for people to extend their front ends way out. Way more than mine even.

A bumper or front end like I really wanted to do is more than you would care to pay. Very labor intensive and the price runs up in a hurry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:27 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
The whole car is going to be very low off the ground. There is no bumper that is going to do what I am looking for. And if you look close, there is no bumper yet. It is just a mold. Just expanded foam. The fiberglass is still a few weeks away from being layed down. So no vent, supports or anything.

Again, look back a few pages to see what we envision the car looking like. It will have side skirts and wheel covers. Pretty much be hovering off the ground. If you do any research for competition coupes in LSR racing, this is highly common for people to extend their front ends way out. Way more than mine even.

A bumper or front end like I really wanted to do is more than you would care to pay. Very labor intensive and the price runs up in a hurry.

Oh OK I just want your rear bumper crash bar lol..

So your going to pretty much smooth the body and remove the lines from the car to cut down on drag?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:14 pm 
Some call me a god

That is a push bar with a 3" wheel on it. It is bolted to the stock bumper studs. And braced off the stock tow hook.

I am not smoothing anything. We are basically making a "skirt" that will go around the whole car. Essentially lowering the car and diverting most of the air that we can. More effective and cheaper than lowering the car.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:55 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Vernon is making 950-1000whp and Mike is in the 1050-1150whp range. Both more than double my output. And Mike has more than a "flat" front end. You have to rememeber Mike has been in a wind tunnel and has been tweaking his car for a few years now aero wise. Remember, I have seen and raced with his car a few times. Be it the shootout or the Texas Mile.

We feel this is the best approach for my car. There is a picture or two a few pages back to give the general idea we all came up with. The old salt racers also agree that our approach is a half way educated one. I hope it works. I just want to haul ass next year.

ummm, last i heard reichen made 1200 at 8k rpm with a failed cas... with 3,000 rpm to go. the 80mm wheel is a BEAST

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 pm 
Some call me a god

He made 1170 and climbing VERY fast. I am a poor guy playing the best I can with what I have.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:36 pm 
Some call me a god

Brought the car home last night. It has sat for too long.

But I have been moving along little by little with what I can. I will have pictures tomorrow or tuesday. But the spare motor is 100% done. So that puts me well ahead in the motor program than what I thought I would be. Only issue is it is a stock motor. But it will do for now while I get things in order and learn the car.

I am ditching the nose cone for the front end. I am going back to a stock bumper that will be modified. I just can't seem to get consistent help, or almost help at all, so I will just do what I can the best I can. Look for pictures soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:21 pm 
Some call me a god

Things have been a little slow around here. Mostly due to low money. But all that money actually went to the car. I finished off my spare motor. While it is not the most ideal motor, it is a running motor non the less. After the fiasco with the galant, I decided to keep the short block as it was in good shape. But I have a good spare motor to take regardless when we go racing. Hopefully the 1.6L will last a while and I can learn with it. But I do have another 1.6L here as well. My goal is to get one more 2.0L next year.

Well nothing too special with this motor.

It is a stock 2.0L with the following-
.040 over topline pistons
Stock reconditioned rods
Clevite 77 bearings
Original oil pump to the motor
Balance shafts removed
-10 oil cooler provisions
-12 water pump provision
Brian Crower 280's
Conititech timing belt
-12 water neck(completely welded over)
-10 valve cover vent
Mitsubishi 4 layer head gasket
Stock head bolts at 110lbs
Highly modified 8 quart oil pan
Slight clean up to a stock head, and I mean slight
All exhaust manifold studs enlarged to 10mmx1.25
And just little tricks and techniques that I have learned over the years. Nothing special as you can see though.

The next step to start in about a week and a half is some of the streamlining and body panels for that. Including a stock front bumper that I am going to modify. That part I am not clear on yet, but should be fun. I am happy and sad that I am finished with my motor program for now. Actually about a year ahead with that. Too bad it is a stock motor. Oh well, it should work out for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

Lookin good, Cheap yet effective.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:43 am 
Some call me a god

Well, just a small update that does not matter. I finished the backup motor completely. I got it all sealed up last week, oil pump primed and timing belt installed. I drained the oil and wrapped a bag around the engine and tucked it away for when we are ready to go racing.

In a few weeks I will move forward again. The plan is to start with some of thebody and aero work. I am not far off, just need to keep the money coming in so I can keep making progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Put in a little time this weekend. Had a hell of a time trying to weld on the tabs for my side skirts. No matter what amperage I tried, what wire speed I tired, I kept burning through the body. The metal is super thin on these cars. What a pain in the ass. I also installed the roof rails finally. That fealt great finally getting those done.

I also had the metal for the main skirts sheared on thursday, so once I take the dzus fasteners back to get the right set, I can install those as well. So hopefuly tomorrow night. I still need to go pick up some steel for the wheel well covers I am going to make. I will get that measured tomorrow as well. I wanted to make head way on the lower skirts first though.

The other goal this week is to get some primer and get at least the outside of the car coated. I finished sanding the last few spots so I am ready to put a sealer on the car and skirts. If I can get the rest of the wheel covers done and everything hung this week, next week my goal is to get some paint and lay some color down.

Little by little here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:18 am 
Digital Baby Troll

On that thin of metal I usually said fruit and banana it and just JB welded. Like you said getting the right setting is near impossible. I just used my bud who was really talented with oxy acetylene to weld up my Jeeps panels. It looks like the turd is coming along though Steven so keep it up.

-John

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 am 
Some call me a god

The day has come. I no longer own this car. I gave it the The Sutton family and Mountain States Automation. They got a lot of parts with the car. They are going to finish the project and continue the dream of sending this thing down the Salt Flats. I will get pictures as they work on it. It will be little by little, but they are shooting for 2012 to try and debut it.

We are thinking it is going to be a N/A 4G63 setup. Those records are held by hondas, and hopefully are not out of reach.

This is what will be replacing the colt. Look for a build thread on it as all the race car parts are going in it now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:43 am 
Some call me a god

This project is very much not dead. It will be N/A now and will be chasing some honda records at Bonneville. They are almost ready to make the mold for the front end. They have added ballast to the front of the car. They have a mock up motor in it. I will be starting the wiring in the next few weeks as well. It will be running a 2G dsmlink on the N/A motor. The transmission is also back together after some parts were borrowed from it. I will post when we make it further along.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:18 pm 
Some call me a god

Things are progressing. They are in the middle of body work. We are also working on the fuel system and just got another stock tank to modify. But a few steps closer. This thing will live. Hopefully before this fall. I did not take pictures of the EGT box he made, but maybe next time. I don't think it will race before the end of the year, but could be running.

They also cut out the stock front core support. It is not a piece of angle iron. The upper support is next. Firewall holes have all been patched except for the old heater core holes for the new wiring harness.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next