4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:03 am 

Hi All. I've been contemplating posting some sort of build thread, but my reservation has been that I may not give it the attention it deserves here. I've always had a specific plan for this project car, but it frequently gets put on the back burner due to the two major limiters in life: time and money. But what the heck, here goes...

I'm the second owner of Michael DeSalvo's (the first owner from Nor Cal) white Mirage Turbo. After taking it off the road in 2013, I just got it far enough along to drive last week. It's still not done (are they ever?) but I can safely and reliably use it for a daily driver. I'll post some pics (figuring that part out now) and some of the mods/upgrades to start. I'll add details as I go. Here's the first post...

Mods:
2.3 stroker
FP HTA Green
HKS 272 cams
Liquid/air intercooler
ECMlink

-1990 Plymouth Colt Vista Wagon AWD
-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:08 am 

-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:16 am 

Front end suspension:
Polyurethane control arm bushings, sway bar bushings
New tie rod ends, ball joints and sway bar end links
Koni yellow inserts
Ground Control Coilovers
Summit springs matching the Tein spring rate, but smaller diameter to work with the coilovers
Camber bolts
new OEM strut mounts (couldn't handle the clunking on the YoshiFab camber plates)
aligned by me: -1.5* camber, 3/16 toe in on each side (for now)

I'll post some current photos after I take them, hopefully this weekend...

-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 pm 

I still need to buy and install a heat exchanger, water pump, controller and plumbing for the intercooler, but it's only at 10 pounds of boost and scary fast at that. Still only FWD.

Current engine bay:

-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am 
The Silent Administrator

It's all packed in like Lego!

You are doing an amazing job of bringing this one back to the status of being fully operational.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pm 

Yes, definitely packed in like Lego. That's a good way to put it. It's been a fun challenge to fit everything under the hood like I want. And things had to be done in a certain order to ensure it would all fit. For example, I had to mount the intercooler before I could mount the battery. And the battery tray had to be fabbed up before I could lay out the MAF sensor (once I knew it would all fit) and the combination of hard pipe and silicon elbows for the intake plumbing upstream of the compressor inlet.

I still have to install the windshield washer reservoir and the intercooler pump under there. I'm planning to put the windshield washer reservoir between the brake master cylinder and the battery. I'll likely need to remove the bracket that's spot welded to the shock tower and also modify the reservoir like I did the coolant overflow reservoir. I'll also need to extend the wiring for the front and rear pumps and the level indicator.

The intercooler pump will go under the Evo MAS, affixed to the frame rail. I will not be using a reservoir in the system. The heat exchanger I plan to use is the one found here: https://www.amazon.com/CXRacing-Exchang ... B07GGW3SST It is a good match for the opening in the JDM bumper cover I still need to install. The controller I'm likely going to use to activate the pump (based on intake temps) is this one: https://www.amazon.com/12V-Mini-Digital ... B01J7VHS4I

I've done some (in my opinion, at least) creative problem solving. To get the compressor cover rotated so the outlet on the Green wasn't pointing down, I had to "massage" the water pipe and custom fabricate the wastegate actuator mounting bracket. I'll attach a photo so it can be seen between the radiator and the bearing housing.

I also had to change the angle of the thermostat housing outlet to fit the intercooler in there the way it is. Check the clearances on each side of the intercooler and you can see what I mean. It's about 1/4" max.

I mounted the intercooler on a bracket I fabricated that was the brace that attaches to the head on the intake manifold side on the 1.6 CSM's from the factory. It's that partially round, tube-looking brace that mounts to the transmission mount bracket. What that means is that the intercooler is hard mounted so that it moves with the engine. It's not mounted to the chassis.

I wanted to use the 1990 (?) NA throttle body with the integrated inlet so I wouldn't have to deal with the separate elbow. So that was cleaned and rebuilt with new seals. I deleted the coolant hoses going to the throttle body and the FIAV, but retained the ISC motor.

I made a catch can from two old brake fluid reservoirs. One is bonded to the lid so they can be separated by unscrewing them. I divided the housing and used some course steel wool. It can be seen zip tied in place to the left of the intake manifold.

I'm particularly pleased with how the OEM BOV mounting spot worked out. It's nestled in there just upstream from the throttle body with the OEM BOV flange mounted to the short section of intake plumbing. I have it recirculated into the section of intake just in front of the compressor inlet that has the gold heat reflecting tape on it. A lot of this stuff is hard to see since it's obscured by items above it.

The GM alternator is in there too. The info on line seems to convey that the stock adjustment bracket will work, and it will I guess. But I wanted it to be as much like stock as possible and the head of the adjustment bolt did not sit flat on the bracket face. So I did some welding and grinding and shaping to make it like the stock setup as much as I could. I also ran another cable to the battery from the alternator post.

I'll stop there for now and just add some photos.

-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 pm 

BTW, thanks for the compliment, Tim. Kind words.

As far as the driving experience, this thing is really fun, but scary fast. I'm sure many of you have this first-hand experience, but flooring it in first is just silly, 2nd breaks the tires loose at ~5500, and when it gets up to ~6k in third I get my foot out cuz it feels really unstable and that's at about 80 mph! And mind you this is at only 10 pounds of boost (as low as my old school Profec B will go), no tune (but thankfully, no knock) and an incomplete intercooler system. Wow!

-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:35 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Tight fit with that alternator bolt and the alt belt, or so it appears from the angle.

People will have to realize just how much engineering and thought have gone into your process and execution.

Keep it coming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:31 pm 

Indeed, it is a tight fit. But so far there has been no issues as far as I can tell. The belt has no wear on it in the photo. Lots of things are tight, but all I can do is see if any issues arise because of it and address them as they do.

Polyurethane control arm bushings (blue) with copious amounts of grease:

3" downpipe secured to block and heat shield to protect oil drain hose:

Oil filter housing with stock sending unit, Autometer sending unit, turbo oil feed & 90 degree radiator drain petcock:

Compressor inlet/outlet plumbing and wastegate actuator:

Front coilovers & brakes:

External oil cooler:

Intake plumbing between MAF sensor and compressor, with 'S' curved silicon couplings to go around compressor-to-intercooler plumbing:

-1992 Galant VR-4 (sold)

Can't polish a turd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

Looking good!