4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Wheatleys AWD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 am 

It's been a long time since I've done a build thread and I want to say that I'm glad there are still some forums around to create one. As much as FB as ruined/improved the car scene it has certainly killed the interaction of guys building and discussing cars for anything other than quick moments of time. The page system and its money generating algorithm for viewership is lame af.

Several might know this car or owned it in the exact state I purchased it in. I picked it up off CJ in southern Indiana a few months back. Body is in good shape and it had a fwd m/t 4g63 already in the car. It was located a few hours south and Aaron with the black awd was nice enough to take his van and trailer down to pick it up while I slept.

Home at last!

A few weeks later I found an 2g auto/tcase in Michigan and a 1g auto donor car. Last minute notice Aaron and Matt (lookout for his blue fwd!) headed up with me. The trip was exhausting. Ended up being about 1k miles or something in a day across three states. We even stopped at the old Normal IL Mitsubishi plant on the way back.

It turns out the donor car was a giant pos even after I asked the guy to inspect the subframe as the was the primary reason I was driving up. The floors were rusted all the way through and the sub frame wasn't able to be used. On plus side the differential and other drive train components will be used on my build and a few locals.

I've been collecting parts over the last couple of months in hopes of having plenty to do this winter.

Before there were Magnus cast intakes for 1g heads this was created at Magnus for Marcos 2g. I ended up with it for enough of a deal that I couldn't pass up.

The original turbo I had chosen for this build was a 6466, I'd had great luck running a 6262 into the 9s@150 in my evo eliminator classed evo that I wanted to stay close to that size for my goals for the colt. Again, a deal popped up and now I own a 6870. Compared to the fp manifold/16g combo that was on the colt when I bought it.

I've always used stock ecu or really out dated standalones that I picked up cheap. They have always worked but for this car I wanted to plan my goals out ahead of time and try and knock the electronics out with something that could not only do everything I need but could offer simple expansion. This solved the wiring issues with the car, the ecu/data logging and my gauges all bundled together. It also allows me to do some things that not many people are utilizing in the dsm world at this time which I will touch on one in a bit.

A super nice local guy fell on hard times and had to part his car unfortunately. He had a rear end posted for sale and I noticed the guy who sold me the 1g donor car was commenting to buy the rear end. Long story short I ended up with a great condition complete sub frame and 4 bolt rear delivered to the house.

The oe colt bumper was in bad shape and I wanted something that would fit everything behind it better than the colt bumper anyways. Not wanting to spend the money on a jdm bumper at this time I picked up a Suby bumper new off ebay. It should do nicely with some minor trimming and the holes plugged.

The Halltech has DBW control and I have the stock ls7 throttle body off my Corvette. It's 90mm and with some minor work it should bolt to the Magnus intake. The dbw pedals are pretty affordable and it should allow some fun tuning features not available with a cable throttle body.

The original plan was to ditch the DNP the turbo came with and go to a top mount or custom manifold. A local guy was moving some parts so along with some spare drive train parts I was able to pick up a slightly used Shearer top mount. One of the last big pieces to start on fab work now that I have all of the components that will be hanging off the front of the car.

Sneak peak of the fuel system

For the last few years I've wanted to start making my own composite parts and the Colt finally gave me an outlet to start experimenting. I started with infusion first and all three pieces have come out a success.

Here is one of the rear floor cover panels untrimmed and just setting in the rear of the car.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I'll update this every couple of months and hope to have much smaller updates with more information as I start doing the awd/auto swap.

White Colt

Post subject: Re: Wheatleys AWD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:47 am 
The Silent Administrator

Inspiration right here folks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:24 pm 
Some call me a god

Wheatley builds nice things. I'm interested to see how far he takes this thing!

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 pm 

Quote:
Wheatley builds nice things. I'm interested to see how far he takes this thing!

Nate! Thanks for the kind words friend. I hope you can make it up to Ohio next year for Shootout and maybe in the mean time I can find a reason to drive the vette to Alabama.

White Colt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:36 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Nice man welcome to the forums. Car looks awesome. Excited to see the turbo clear the core support with the top mount. I'm planning to go a similar route next year and was hoping to not have to cut it. Did you go with the 1500 or 2500 for the Haltech?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:59 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Looks like a fun build! can't wait to see more progress. Maybe I'll update my Evo 3 build so far.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium -2L.0T AWD Wife
facebook.com/modicausmc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm 

Quote:
Nice man welcome to the forums. Car looks awesome. Excited to see the turbo clear the core support with the top mount. I'm planning to go a similar route next year and was hoping to not have to cut it. Did you go with the 1500 or 2500 for the Haltech?

Thank you. The turbo clears the core support without cutting and is in a pic above. I went with a 2500 to have 8 injector and dbw control.

White Colt

Last edited by Wheatley on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:24 pm 

Quote:
Looks like a fun build! can't wait to see more progress. Maybe I'll update my Evo 3 build so far.
Thank you and update that build!

White Colt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:47 pm 

quick update

Jeff Bush happened to post a late 2g auto t case and it was perfect timing. Built and a 300m output shaft. This will be getting modified but is a great base to get a custom driveshaft made off of since it uses 1310 u joints instead of the mitsu joints.

I wanted to run a mechanical pump ever since what I dealt with on the evo and trying to make decent hp with ethanol fuels on a single pump. This also gives me some headroom if I switch to methanol. I'm not a fan of multiple pumps and it gets really hard to find a single pump that can provide enough fuel in a "12v" system at the pressure we run in the 4g63 world. Most guys just run the Magnus bracket for mechanical pumps and I love Marco and his products he brings to our community but I don't feel his bracket will allow clearance in the Colt chassis so I will be making my own. Plus making stuff is fun.

The spud is for an old big block ford I found off an alcohol performance website. The cam hole is really close to the Mitsubishi bolt hole size so all it took was a quick pass in the drill press and it bolted right on. I will be drilling the gear and the spud for a dowel to help lock it in place. The pic is just for reference and it will be a little further towards the tower with the AEM gear and the plates to hold it all in place.

I also picked up half of the mods for the t case above with a billet tcase housing, Boostin is another amazing company bringing products to our community!

I finally finished the last of the three carbon fiber rear floor panels. This was a decent amount of work and a ton of fun, I look forward to expanding my abilities next year and start making body panels for the car!

I was able to sneak a couple garage hours out the other night and got a great start on the 2g auto and the clearance it needs to fit in the Colt chassis. I will be making three of the four mounts but its currently held in place by three oem mounts for fitment purposes. I'm really happy to have it in the car and hopefully will have some time this month to pick up all the fabrication materials to get going on the rest of the project.

White Colt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:14 pm 
Some call me a god

This looks like it's going to be a monster! Great pics so far, looking forward to updates!

94 Talon TSi AWD Auto - Sold
90 Laser RS FWD 4G63T - Hit and totalled

Summer - 2000 Pontiac Fireturkey Trans Am LS1 A4
Winter - 2006 Honda CRV K24 5MT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am 
CSM Junkie

Nice build, it's going to be a beast!!!

I have a question, it's off topic a little bit but what are you using to share photos with IMG pics because photobucket you have to pay now for their service so I was curious on what you use or anyone he uses now so I can do the same. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The forum has a gallery function now added. Search the forum and it will yield results. Specifically a post by Natas +gallery. It will likely be in News from Admins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:05 pm 

Quick Christmas Eve update.

Brakes!!

Super close on the 15x7 Slipstreams. Long term plan is to run radials on these and run some 26x8.5 on some 15x9 Belaks

Super pumped to get these done last night. I've been working 60-70hr weeks lately with network upgrades so the Colt was put on the back burner for a lot longer than I wanted. These aren't 100% done but are finished enough to get the engine and trans hung to move forward with the awd swap. I still have to make the front roll stop mount and will update as that progresses.

White Colt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 pm 

Engine mount update.

I decided I didn't want the look of a solid mount on the cam side but still wanted a rigid mount. I bought some 94 durometer and stiffened the cam side mount up along with adding a little more width to prevent any movement that might put any stress on the other three engine mounts.

Front roll stop, radiator, transmission cooler and fuel cell mount out of chromoly.

White Colt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, I’m so glad you picked this up from me so you could bring it back to life.