4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 821 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:25 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Received the bumper brackets and got the bumper loosely fitted. Pics to follow as soon as it is up in place properly. 8)
Installed new (used) front calipers, driver side parking brake cable, performed a 4 wheel brake service (cleaning and lubing sliders, and full brake fluid flush).
Next to install is the AFPR, WALBRO 255, license plate sticker, insurance, oh and not necessarily in that order.
Rewiring the ground locations to a non-common location for each gauge, and we will see how they respond.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Installed a used tensioner for the AC system. Got word from the previous owner that the AC system only needed a belt to operate again.
So, put a belt in with the tensioner and voila! AC works and blows cold.
I have owned the car since 2004-5, and have never driven it with the AC on, until today! Sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Nearly two years since an update on the back pages. :-?

Check out the front page and see what should be installed to "SCRAT" by or during the 2013 driving season. :supz:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 am 
Some call me a god

About time we get an update from you :butthead:

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 am 
The Silent Administrator

Except for a rad leak at the end of 2012's season, it's been dead nuts reliable.
Also switched to Redline MT90 for 2012 with the KM210 that is coming out, and the F5M33 going in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:44 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Cyclone update on progress.

Intake manifold out of the way:

Cyclone bracket loosely installed with lower bolt only. This illustrates the slight angle due to hitting the compressor housing, not the lines. These are MMNA type AC lines, not JDM.
Note: The vacuum lines colorings are quite visible on this setup. This will help those hooking up the solenoids and related hardware. I bought mine complete like this, so plug and play, but it can be very helpful for those running their own lines from scratch.
The cyclone bracket is slightly shorter at the lower portion, due to the manifold actually extending lower in the engine bay. Pics will show this later.

Contact point is that little bulge/nub of aluminum on the compressor. Do not attempt to remove aluminum from the compressor, the bracket is the part you remove material from/clearance. Pic to follow on that.

This shows the difference in lower portion length where the brackets bolt in. I marked the offensive area on the Cyclone bracket where I intend to clearance the metal.

Best view of all the differences in the two brackets.

Part 2:

AC compressor tags:

More parts looking all wrinkly!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Intake ports look a little sticky.

Exhaust ports show the oil coming down the valve stems and proper burn coloration of the valves.

Another angle:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:17 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Clutch and pressure plate after roughly 3 short seasons:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I don't know about the rest of us but I cant see your pictures
I think it might have been a issue at first. I refreshed the page a few times and now it is working properly.
I would love to have this intake. It is the one dsm part I have not ever owned.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 am 
The Silent Administrator

Photobucket. Showing on my phone and worked on my home PC?
All other pictures from there show properly so far. Do the pictures in the VIN Registry show up for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am 
Some call me a god

They work for me on multiple devices. I completely dig the wrinkle black. Are you going to be bending the shift arm and adjusting the shift base when you install f5m33?

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

Dont look for an wires tuck or emissions delete Tim, you have one life only :wink:

Nice project my friend :supz:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:53 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Fortunately 89Mirageman has been slowly stripped transmissions from his locale, of all usable shifter arms! Got a set waiting here that only need the cut tube and dowel pin removed. The trans has to be opened up again to fit the big plastic bar back into place, and install the new 5th gear nuts in place. While I am there, the Quaife will have to get installed/shimmed/re-installed.

I'm running a 5 KM obstacle race called the Spartan Sprint, here around Camp Edelweiss (just over in Quebec) this Saturday, so now time for the car this week; little guy (age 6) takes precedence! He may get to see me running, all covered in mud and likely after having been shocked by the barbed wire surrounding some of the crawl pits. It's a blast for anyone to try, and that will likely finish also! YouTube Spartan Races, they are world wide now.

@ Coltixim,

I knew someone would see my wiring!! Haha.
I have extra for my five gauges, and full emissions equipment; minus EGR when the Cyclone gets installed. Maybe I can remove those vacuum hoses and the solenoid. If I re-pin the EGR solenoid wires at the ECU, maybe I can use them for the Cyclone output! IDEA @#Broke4speed!!!

I agree, this build is not about super cleanliness, but function and low maintenance high performance parts! Is that possible to put in the same sentence? Well, paint makes it a little more stealth and it needed an update. I'm thinking the head may have to come off to clean my valves. I had bought some Evo exhaust valves because they were sodium filled, and some back cut intake valves, but one valve was bent, and I decided again head removal then. Now I am reconsidering because of the grunge buildup I see in the ports. The stock 1G intake manifold had oil all down the runners, dark coating in the plenum, but was dry at the TB and intake piping. EGR, PCV are the only culprits to add this muchnoil to actually see small puddles! This motor did not smoke, only ran rich at idle due to cams and was squeaky clean just off idle/ISC control all the way up the RPM band. I now would need a head gasket if the head comes off. ARP studs I have from the 4G61T.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I have extra for my five gauges, and full emissions equipment; minus EGR when the Cyclone gets installed. Maybe I can remove those vacuum hoses and the solenoid. If I re-pin the EGR solenoid wires at the ECU, maybe I can use them for the Cyclone output! IDEA @#Broke4speed!!!
You'll need to keep the EGR solenoid, since the Cyclone uses vacuum to open and close, no? You can leave it plugged into the stock harness, and just re-route the vacuum lines to the cyclone stuff. I stumbled upon Keydiver's EGR-as-Cyclone-activation code on the DSM-ECU yahoo group today, so I can add the little subroutine to the file that's on your chip now, and you'll be JDMing in no-time :). I have a chip emulator again, so testing/tuning can be done in real time if need be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:00 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Purchasing a new stainless full length clutch cable that replaces the metal section that normally bolts to the bellhousing. Don't have many options now that the center metal section is likely tossed in the garbage can.

Things procured in the last couple of months:

Quaife LSD FWD, with bearings for the AWD.
Koyo Factory replacement radiator - direct replacement for my unusual factory radiator, see lines below for more commentary on that.
Radiator in the car when I purchased it - possibly some aftermarket upgrade with a larger upper hose inlet 1-1/8" stock, mine had 1-3/8"!!

Further research dealing with 1800Radiator.com had the sales advisor calling the tech support guys. Tech support says that the 234 style radiator and factory replacement 235 variation I received, were all designed with a 1-1/8" upper inlet connection! When using the 1991 4g63t aluminum thermostat outlet, the hose size is 1-3/16" wide, so a little too big to connect to the rad inlet. Well, this was never an issue with the rad you see pictured above, as it had the dual matched sizing of 1-3/16" on both hose connections. The plot thickens..... So, I have pictured, the successor to the 234 (CU234 of which I have one also), which is the 235.

Koyo factory replacement 235KO Inlet 1-1/8" inlet, needs a rumored-to-exist sleeve to make the inlet larger. Honda SI's apparently have this issue according to 1800Radiator, and as such the advisor said they likely exist, I just have to find one. Hmmm...
Spectra Premium (SPI) CU234 radiators are not painted but have a neat feature on the upper hose attachment - they have a dual fitment inlet! The inlet necks up to a larger size as you push in to it's furthest inward position. So, a dual upper inlet fitment means a swapped engine and matching hoses, will work when using a stock 89-92 full size radiator. Not the news I wanted, but the Koyo rad is so nice, and has all the tabs in the correct location, and fan attachment points are also in the proper spots, that I want to keep it to use. Whether you choose the 234 or the successor, the 235 (pricier), you will get the same flow through the inlet, regardless of what hose is attached, as the plastic for the inlet is the same internal diameter all the way in. I was only worried that it might knock down the flow to the radiator, and going with an increase in power well above factory output (130/140 USDM-160HP JDM) into the 260+HP territory minimum, I wanted something as thick as the radiator I had in the car in the first place. A radiator that I had always thought was the factory stock piece. IF my "original" (installed when I bought the car in 2005?) radiator, which is thicker than all variations on the market today (factory replacements - not performance, unpainted larger/multiple core race pieces), and has all the attachement points, water inlet/outlet matching to the larger matched hose sizes of the 4g6X engines, and even the coolant overflow outlet aimed appropriately, were not repairable and likely have some possible weak points, I would have repaired it.

From all internet searching I could do, via Rockauto/1800Radiator/google, I have not found any dual core factory replacement radiators for the Mirage/Colt/Summit platform. Sure you can likely make a GVR4 radiator work, with its top/bottom locator pins in exactly the same location and the coolant overflow nipple aimed to the wrong side of the car (easily remedied), but even those are single core as well, so no advantage unless you are stuck for availability of the CSM/turbo parts. You could likely run a base Galant radiator and have no issues, upgrading to the GVR4 radiator would just make sense, because it should be a dual core like the Colt/Mirage turbo radiator. If the aftermarket aluminum stock replacement radiators have gone down to single core, I would start to wonder unless they have a very close, at a minimum, core thickness. Sure you can make other rads fit, but I wanted a direct fitment and was hoping to keep my stock fan in place, and locate a turbo model AC fan. It's looking more to me like the AC fan which I figure was mounted in front of the condenser, was actually located in the engine bay; yet another anomaly!

So, radiator fitment is now proper once again, but my car is AC equipped and as such, should likely have a dual fan setup? Right? Every car I see in for repair these days, that is AC equipped will have dual fans for the ultimate in engine and AC cooling abilities. Well, my car never came with a second fan. I always figured there had to be a second fan. Looking in ASA, I see pictures of a dual fan setup, but it shows both fans in the engine bay. Okay, that sounds logical! This won't work however .... and here's why. The fan and shroud you saw pictured above, takes up so much space across the engine side face of the radiator, that there is nothing left for fitment of a second fan and shroud, from the factory. Side note. Okay, my car had no AC tensioner assembly installed when I received it and until two years ago, the AC was not running with a belt. Once the tensioner and belt were installed, the AC functioned properly, but idling and at low speeds the AC performance was dropping off considerably and after a highway trip across town, on a hot day and subsequent idling in a drive thru, my engine performance dropped to almost nill where I couldn't accelerate the car and the engine almost stalled. Temps in the rad were within spec (not engine seizing hot), so I still have a few questions about the pressures that developed in the AC system , and or what was likely happening with overheated 2G MAF sensor.

Back on topic, my car has a ceramic resistor much like the injector resistor pack on the firewall, up in front of the condenser. It was randomly zip tied to the radiator support bar. Not sure how much of the AC was disabled and removed when the PO performed the timing belt job and GVR4 intercooler/related piping, and as he told me, didn't want to take the time to re-install the AC bits that were removed in the process. So, was there a front mounted AC fan? Pusher style? Lots of cars have them now, tucked neatly in behind the bumper support and attached directly to the rad supports, or the condenser via tabs. Our condensers do not have tabs, but we have lots of nuts welded to the lower and upper portions of the radiator supports.

Anyone have an original turbo car or 4g15 with a full length radiator and AC, that can take pics of their AC fan setup?

I need to dispell the myths I have in my head about factory fitments. I am not opposed to fitting a random fan in front of the condenser, but zip-tying to a component that is still charged with R12, is not what I want to do for many reasons.

Some day I will hook up an AC machine and see what my AC pressures are like at idle in the warm weather, with and without a second fan being controlled by the AC switches/module on the drivers side frame rail. On with the show .......

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 821 Next