4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm 

Has anyone purchased or heard about this coilover kit before?
https://www.amazon.com/Ksport-CMT320-KP ... i%3Amirage

I found it on amazon and it claims to fit our cars. If this indeed fits our cars it would be a lot easier than getting my hands on 1G springs and new struts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

I have been looking at www.carid.com and have found a lot of parts for our cars. At least they say they fit our cars. Has anyone looked on this site?
https://www.carid.com/1989-mitsubishi-m ... nce-parts/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 am 
2nd Banana

Yes, that coilover kit fits

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 am 
The Silent Administrator

That is the kit number. Picture is different, but not representative of the parts in the kit. Just a representation of what to expect in the box.

CarId populates tons of parts and offers crossover with many, but they stock very little of it. I bet it is more of a FACE page, than a company stocking substance for most cars. Such has been my experience and from hearing things from others. If it works out with them, great.

Be aware the coilovers will be put into production once your order is received, and then built in China at the factory. They will be shipped to KSport, then out to you. Timeline should be 2-4+ weeks.

You will have to use mega strong zip ties to hold your brake line brackets to the front strut tubes. Unless you are working with custom stainless braided lines, and have a rubber grommet to hold them into the supplied brackets you get in the kit. I zip tied and taped my factory brackets using Technafit stainless lines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm 

Are there any other options out there for coilover kits for our cars? Or what are the other options for suspension upgrades?
I am currently trying make my plan of attack for my car once I get the body work done this spring. I am planning to get all new ball joints/tie rod ends/etc. for the entire car and do the suspension upgrade at the same time, so I have some time to figure all of this out because I still have to collect all the parts. My vision for it now it to fix the body and then do suspension upgrades prior to adding any power. I am trying to build my car from the ground up. Will this coilover kit work after the car has been converted to AWD, or should I go a cheaper route until I do that swap?
I am also interested in upgrading my brakes at the same time I do the suspension upgrade. Can I get some information on upgrading the brakes? Like how-to guides and parts lists?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You can do a budget suspension upgrade like Captain Tonus did. Search him and budget suspension.

I had nothing but bad luck with any and all versions of KYB's and stiffer springs/lowering spring. They leaked, corroded, blew internal (worn out), or springs sagged. I wanted coilover suspension because I want the ability to dial in the height and have a proper setup for controlling whatever spring rate they ship with. They are rebuildable, in that you can change the cartridge if seals leak or something wears out internally. This is the route I suggest you go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Now, you suggested you were going AWD. There is a guy on FB doing the same thing. If the bottom mount needs to changed or the tube length needs to be modified, it is all doable to accommodate the rear strut setup that the AWD needs. The solution by the fellow was to potentially weld in a length of tube to elongate the entire threaded body but still enough of the top portion "thread able". With KSports available in individual pieces, you could always ask if they have a longer threaded base portion. Maybe swap in the base from anothe model. They all mostly use the same size shock body. Anyways, that route hasn't been planned out entirely, such that there is an easy button. Lilevo was making some extensions for the top hat mounting locations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

If you are building a race car or something more capable than most, consider the rear subframe bushing upgrades, poly motor mount upgrades, poly sway bar bushings (get the Elantea bar or Colt/Mirage Turbo bar) from SuperPro and front lower control arm bushings (front and rearward on the front arms).

There is a whole lot to think about and tons of small parts that are harder to find unless you have entire parts cars and access to lots of bits online. I work on cars for a living and am too OCD to break off an AWD project for fun. I hope you are up for the task that has waylaid so many of our users in the past.
Get the car going and tuned on FWD first. Them see where you are at. It's only a suggestion. You can always build the car and do bodywork later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:34 am 

so my ideal plan is to get the body work fixed this spring and then collect all of the suspension parts I can get my hands on this summer and fall. Then this winter put my car in the garage and do the complete suspension and potentially brake overhaul. Then next spring/summer/fall (2018) I want to get the car up to about 200-300fwhp to the ground. I feel that that power level will make the car a lot of fun but also keep it within the range of safe, as in not breaking. Once I get that all said and done I will decide whether I want to keep it FWD or convert to AWD. If I keep it FWD I will eventually rebuild the engine and transmission so they are much much stronger and then continue from there.

Regarding the suspension, I will probably go with the coilover kit. far less of a headache than trying to source parts for a budget suspension. I was planning to get a quote on the bodywork today but it snowed lastnight and I refuse to drive the little car in weather like that before A. the windshield washer fluid motor is replaced (ordering it this weekend), and B. the body work is fixed (not letting the car rust to death).