4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:50 pm 

Hello,
I am new to these cars and would like to get my stock 89 mirage turbo up to around 175-200hp nothing crazy as I don't want to have to worry about breaking it.
My car already has a custom 3" turboback exhaust and sounds great. I looked in the archives but all the posts for this type of stuff have no pictures anymore or dead links.

I was thinking about a SMIC and custom air intake.
Any advice or walkthroughs would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 pm 

either a front mount intercooler..or a larger side mount one.. a 2g throttle body so u can use 2 1/2" piping. or even 2 3/4... get some 550cc or 650 cc injectors..a 14b or evo3 16g turbo with a boost controller.. run about 18 psi with a good tune and u should be about 200-240ish.. make sure it has a new timing belt and stuff so it will last longer... if u want to go a lil more get some 264 or 268 cams.. with the cams and larger inj with a good tune should get u close if not over 300.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:14 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Keep it stock, your car is super rare in that form.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:35 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Keep it stock, your car is super rare in that form.
BORING :ANAL:

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:04 pm 

The car already has 3" turboback exhaust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:00 am 
The Silent Administrator

Stock

or ....

4g61t motor
4g61t fuel rail must be reused to allow fuel line from the filter fitment
1G Fuel pump or a Walbro 255/hp
Fuel pump rewire kit
1G fuel pressure regulator or if using Walbro 255/hp an AFPR like Aeromotive A1000 or Buschur/SX type that bolts to the end of the fuel rail!
1G 1990 ECU (Eprom if you need to tune things later for some reason)
1G or 2G 450cc injectors
1G 1990 MAF
1G 1990 throttle body
1G any year cams or GVR4 cams (idles best on a 4g63 at 800RPM but you can't really tune for this yet)
1G exhaust manifold or 2G exhaust manifold (studs are now barely long enough to hold the new copper lock nuts you install - manifold is thicker at flange - you lose the engine pull bar near Psteer pump as a result of this mod)
2G ported 02 housing/Evo3 will tilt the downpipe flange and require a reweld/rework
14b turbo -possibly up the boost past wastegate 12psi
Small 16g turbo - power moves up in the power band, torque moves up the power band also, but a very efficient turbo
JDM Galant VR4 intercooler or an EVO8 style or Ebay to fit behind the bumper without cutting it all to heck
If using a 1991 setup, the tach will not work unless you perform certain changes to the wiring at the transistor to tach input at the cluster? - more work.
Alot of work.

Or ...

Drop in a 1G turbo motor ... bone stock, 1990 will be plug and play, 1991 will require changing sensors or adding patch harness connectors and some pin swapping at the ECU.
Fuel pump rewire and pump as mentioned above.
Not alot of work.

Be aware if you had an exhaust made to fit the 4g61, that the cylinder head on a 4g63 motor now sits higher due to deck height and the exhaust now gets tucked up closer to the oil pan and body until you get back to the spot where the flex pipe is located. Be aware of this phenomenon as I was not, and it meant I had to "massage" my exhaust with a large ball peen type hammer head until it no longer hit the bolts for the north/south crossmember! This was on a 4g61t motor with a 14b and 1G exhaust manifold, so it stands to reason that with the same mods and a 4g63t block, this will occur should there not be enough clearance. Certain turbos and manifolds/02 housings will move things like intercooler upper pipe fitment and downpipe exhaust fitment.

If you got the specs for a JDM 4g61t and used an intercooler of similar or better heat reduction/better flow and less pressure drop, plus matched with a JDM ECU and reduction in some of the emissions stuff, that motor made 160HP give or take. Up 30-40 HP from the USDM or Canadian models with no intercoolers, lots of emissions, and mild everything ala tuning and cams/MAF.

I may have missed something in that list, but that was everything I had installed to my 4g61t before I blew an intercooler pipe and got instant onset rod/bearing knock. Teardown proved it, I must have sucked up a bit of water, bearing were on the verge.

Been a long time since I listed all that stuff.

I think I spelled out the easy route. Half cuts can be your friend. Finding a 1G 6 bolt (very important) 4g63t type half cut, not an easy task these days. Finding a 4g61t JDM half cut ... unicorn but will likely be out there if you look hard enough and use Google Chrome or somesuch to translate JDM websites. JDM land is the only place that got the hot engine setups, IE more power. AUS got rumored thicker strut tubes and better shock setups (per LancerProject), and we got the hot pipe setup.