4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: jdm engine for swap
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 pm 
Some call me a god

Is there any reason I couldnt use a 6 bolt jdm 4g63t that is mated with an automatic awd tranny?
Its is a fair price at $1800 CAD for complete motor with ecus for both engine and tranny , complete wiring harness, awd automatic tranny.
Of course I would prefer an 5spd fwd, but those are rare. I would like to have a spare tranny.

I am at the point of just getting a motor to swap into my c10 colt, if I can get it running, then I will look into upgrading or modifying some parts on it. I dont really care if it has smaller turbo. Does anyone know if any wiring would be different between an auto or stick motor package?

Post subject: Re: jdm engine for swap
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 pm 
2nd Banana

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to use that

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I would do some looking into the pinouts from the dual board ecus ala JDM land, and the 90/91-94 ECU's USDM.

I know it has been covered at galantvr4.org, as cheekychimp was looking at working with ECMLink on his JDM wiring setup over in HK.

This is only an issue if you want to use USDM ECU plugged into the JDM harness. Most harness's you are likely finding now will likely be nearly identical to the 91+ USDM stuff, with plugs at the sensors, more wiring to the transistor pack (due to the coil interface being built-in versus the pre-facelift stuff being separated like 90 USDM stuff).

Just make sure you are getting a 6 bolt crankshaft/flexplate combination. Oh, do a little research into the cranks for the automatics, as there seems to be a sticky point lingering in the back of my mind with crank snout differences and such. Check the write-ups on RRE for import motors and maybe someone can chime in with any compatibility issue with using an automatic equipped engine with standard shift components, and that is directly related to the stuff coming from Japan.

Hell, even a call to Dan (1lowcolt that used to log in here) in Gatineau, could help out. He is very knowledgeable in this regard. Just explain your situation.
Quote:
HPAUTO  
WebsiteDirections
Auto Repair Shop
Address: 1716 Atmec #2-3, Gatineau, QC J8R 3Y4
Phone:(819) 643-9489
You may get Marty on the phone too, as it is a two man show.

It is singularly the best way to shoehorn a running combination back into an engine bay. But, get the timing belt swapped out, timing components (OEM tensioner), etc, before installing it. Even the water pipe into the water pump (seal), is a great idea to do then.

Knowing what chassis the combination came from, is the single biggest issue here. It could mean the motor is 7 bolt style like the RVR/EVO stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:17 pm 
The Silent Administrator

A heads up depending upon which ECU's you are using.

GVR4 thread explaining some headaches to the ECU interchangeability

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:59 pm 
2nd Banana

Oh yeah, you're better off using a US ECU and wiring harness...the engine and trans itself will work in the car, though

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus