4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: JDM Cluster Info Thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:33 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This thread is meant to include any and all info pertaining to using the original JDM market style clusters and how they relate to our USDM/CDN style C50A wiring setups.

Had a member going through some troubles with his tach interface and wondered what people had used and why, without issue.

Case in point: I installed the gauge faces from an AUS cluster 9K RPM, 240KMH, no turbo light function. I did not use the hardware from the flexible plastic unit that was behind the faces.
Sent out the tach unit, minus the fuel and water temp coils, and it acted strange when a member plugged it into his C53a style cluster. He had a pair of clusters that would not work with the tach function but he gets a signal and has the proper 90 style tacho interface on his 90 type coil pack assemblies. He was using the single wire capacitor/tach filter on the top of the intake manifold, but I would like to source him a proper C53A style piece also.

So, he plugs in my board and it does the same thing! He did however have it working with a local members C53A style cluster.

Does my circuit board from a 90 type JDM/AUS market cluster not work?

In my old picture archives I had pics of LilEvo's tach wire fix, and a lone pic of a JDM cluster with a two wire mod .....

I have a picture of two wires being used to pickup and complete a signal path for the tach unit, but cannot confirm their operation.
The white wire (we shall call the signal circuit source line) gets an eyelet crimp on connector attached at the "TM" labelled trace/hole in the plastic circuit board.
The black wire (we shall call the ground) is attached at a nearby spot labelled "EARTH".
You will have to use a proper screw designed for plastic so as to not strip and be able to re-use the same hole if anything has to be removed or repaired.

If anyone has used the JDM cluster "complete" as delivered and had it work, please chime in now.

Otherwise, I have to assume everyone was simply swapping out the face covers, because this was a known issue with the tach operating properly and I had since just forgotten about it and or everyone else that knew about it, simply took it as a "known" condition and it hasn't been mentioned in open circles since late 2009?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:42 pm 

Hey Tim thanks once again I already see one difference between them. And I still don't have them side by side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:02 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I attached a file for the sake of longevity, and that it is only 1+ MB in size for anyone loading on a phone or such device.

The cluster I have shows some part numbers I will post a picture of that also.

I will include a link to the larger 6mb photo, that is identical but that people may want to reference or copy/save as part of their reference material.

Next photo that I will link is the photo showing the modification that was made to one of these flexible circuit boards to, I assume, allow use of a tachometer circuit in the cluster or to interface the loom on the chassis side for input.

Not sure as to how large the inbound photo stayed, but it was 6mb+ when it was uploaded in original form.

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/ColtRo ... n.jpg.html

Attachments:
IMG_5227.JPG
IMG_5227.JPG [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 2311 times ]
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 2311 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I suspect that the JDM cluster with the wire mods is in fact something like a CC model cluster, or similar vintage. Likely sourced from AUS or NZ when the other two supporting BB's were up and running simultaneously. Both the NZ (years ago now) and AUS (within the last month or so, late 2015), are down and domain names are showing for sale. Support remains at www.4gtuner.com with many of the same members. Same architecture, but this being electrical with subtle nuance differences, I am only speculating at this point.