4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: boost issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:32 pm 

Alright so before i had an idle surge, now it idles fine but i got a check engine light and when i push the gas i see it go from vacuum to about 0 psi like its ready to build boost but it doesnt. I drove the car a few times on the back road and got on it etc. and it was fine but now its got like shit power and a check engine light.

I figure its a boost leak but before i go tearing things off and such, does anyone know if a boost leak would set a check engine light off? Also I noticed when i start the car the check engine light goes off and almost immediately comes back on. I suspect the leak to be either at the j-pipe to the turbo or on the way to the intake manifold right at the coupler to the side mount intercooler. any ideas/info? would a boost leak set a check engine light off? and since the car runs and drives still (seems a bit louder than before, but i hear the turbo spinning still) and it idles perfect would it be most likely at the j-pipe? I've heard of boost leaks making it impossible to start cars and they run like shit etc. but mine starts a little harder than before and idles pretty normal.

any info is greatly appreciated as always :)

Ben

Post subject: Re: boost issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:55 pm 

well after looking over the car some more and comparing to the turbo i took off, it seems the waste gate arm that the actuator connects to has slid out about 1/4 of an inch, which would be like the arm sticking open or not fully closing to build boost i spose.

I've got the turbo here with another hot side on it, which i did take note of it being in better shape than the "good turbo's" hotside.

This leaves me with 2 questions

1. If i drive the car like this (not building boost/loss of power) to get the rest of the exhaust put on and inspected) will it harm anything?

2. Would it be difficult to remove one hotside to put on the other that is in better shape anyway? Is there anything to watch out for if doing this? Do I have to be careful of anything while doing this as well?

Really interested in knowing answers to the first question for sure since i'm pretty well broke and need to have this car inspected asap or the car has to be removed / re-located before i can tear it down again.

Also, would this problem cause a check engine light? or am I still in the hunt to figure that out as that was just recent and about the same time as this no-boost situation happening. (which it happend by driving, pulling hard in second and shifting to 3rd and lost boost ever since)

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

What is the code coming up?

If you keep it on there, to pass an inspection then it will be fine, just don't drive it much; period.

When you take off a turbo, be very careful with the turbo bolts, the 4 long ones top to bottom. Probably best to heat up the motor/turbo and then loosen them.

New bolts with proper angled washers should be used upon installation and it would help to use a very high temp, no metal type of Loctite (they are like $50+USD though).

You can switch one hotside for another but you need to know if the arm can simply be welded back in place and then check for proper preload of the flapper against the seat or a similar issue will prevail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-N-7000-Pa ... tite+51272

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-HD--Paste ... tite+51605

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:17 pm 

Hmm well the way i plan on going about this i spose will be to remove the actuator from the arm and try to tap it back in place and possibly get it tack welded into place as a temporary fix even if its not lined up perfectly but builds atleast a couple pounds of boost i'd be happy with that until i can swap the other hotside. I'll put the car on ramps tomorrow and get on it as i've got to leave for work in a few mins and wont be off until after dark. As far as the turbo bolts they'll pop out pretty easily right now since i've already had it all apart within the last month and barely ran it since. I wouldnt mind getting new bolts for it once I manage to get the other hot side on tho, so the info on that lock tite was good to know info.

thanks again for the help, and if i end up removing the radiator to get into the car with more room, which it seems pretty cramped right now, then i'll probably go ahead and swap the hot side at that point since its only a few more bolts and a couple hrs from there.

I'll keep u posted with whichever way i decide to go though.