4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Starter Swap
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

So my starter in my 89 colt gt has finally died. Can I use a 1g dsm starter? I have tons of them laying around. Just not sure if it would work with the 4g61 motor/flywheel.

Post subject: Re: Starter Swap
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:26 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I have a thread for you!

Board index » Information Archives » Engine/Drivetrain (archive) >> Starter replacement and interchange or swap options

Essentially, any 1G DSM starter for a standard transmission will work just fine and dandy. The only difference between the 1989 Mirage turbo starter and the DSM version (maybe others) is the angle at which the solenoid trigger wire plugs in at. That is the only difference.

You cannot use the automatic transmission type starter because of the depth of the nose/engagement due to difference in depth of the ring gear on the torque converter verus flywheel.

FWD or AWD, no difference. Has to be from a standard transmission and be used with correct starter plate (re-use what was already working for you). If you were swapping in parts from a mishmash of vehicles, then this is the where the starter plate comes into play, depending upon which transmission bell housing is being mated to the 4g6x motor you will use.

4G15 starters are not a match. Don't search using GT terminology, the difference is 4g61/4g61t or 4g15. GT is a trimline, of which all turbo cars were one. Summit GS had a 4g61, you get the idea. ;)