4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4g61t gearbox on 4g63t?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:32 am 
Restricted Newbie

How will my 4g61t gearbox go on a 4g63t engine just running standard boost? Thinking about going to 4g63t in the c73a cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:59 am 
Some call me a god

It's shorter gearing makes it useless for much of anything above stock power imo. They are plenty strong for most uses.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:15 pm 
The Silent Administrator

It will do just fine.

It (the stock KM210 FWD trans) is slightly weaker than the KM215/F5M31 FWD DSM transmission).

Everything will bolt up to get the transmission to the engine.

Be aware of the clutch combination you are going to be running.

Check out my build section thread "SCRAT".

I have listed the style of flywheel and clutch that will work for you, to hold bigger power.

Not necessary to upgrade from the 215mm pressure plate, to the 225mm pressure plate.

Because the AWD (transmissions) all use those (215mm), but a clutch upgrade is a must - 4g61t -> 4g63t.

Heck, it is all out anyways, so a thorough inspection should be in order. No extra labor to change it, with the motor swap.

Be careful with your selection of flywheel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Cheers guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:43 pm 
The Silent Administrator

It should be mentioned that you should consider a few variables with flywheel selection for your intended usage, and the style of clutch you should use.

Flywheels like the aluminum with steel insert have been known to have some issues with heating and warping. Autocross with frequent low speed gear changes, could be an issue with a unit possibly prone to overheating. Consider cutting out the circles in the bell housing (just like in the picture on google images) to match a F5M33 or larger unit. The stock KM210/F5M31 does not have those holes, nor plugs to direct hot air out of the bell housing. Something I only recently learned when I switched transmissions.

Clutches should be street style with springs in the center plate. Your input shaft splines will like you longer, and you should have less issues with any engagenmen/disengagement of the clutch disc from the flywheel as a result.
Puck/unsprung clutches are the death of input shafts due to shock, repeated shock and wear. They are intended for high RPM shifting on the track and rebuilds when these cars had new parts available ... not quite the case now.

See what the guys are using here, because maybe I'm talking out of my b..kside, maybe not.

Quite a few guys autocross and drag their cars, all on a single clutch setup.

My experience is one of more or less the bench, and repeated replacements. wink wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 am 
Restricted Newbie

Cheers. 4g63t comes with standard flywheel and clutch. Wanted to make sure gearbox would bolt on and drive daily standard boost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:17 am 
Restricted Newbie

So new engine didn't have clutch well its poked! can I just use the flywheel clutch set-up off my 4g61t? Its new that's all so I'd love to use it to save some bucks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:44 pm 

Yes you can, but it won't take much more than wastegate pressure to get that clutch slipping and you will eventually want to up the boost (trust me :lol: )

I'd look for a used stock 1G DSM FWD flywheel and stock clutch (6 or 7 bolt depending on what engine you got) if you want to save money and still have a capable clutch setup while you have the engine and transmission out. It's worth every penny!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Shouldn't be a problem running a used 1g flywheel, but please buy a new clutch assembly if you go that route. I swapped mine out, and the used clutch popped a dampening spring out of the disc like a year later. This happened at the worst timing, and I will spare you the story.....just offering some advice that a lot of used parts are okay, things like a used clutch is generally not worth it in the long run though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks again. Im sure ill have more questions as im learning heaps!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

For reference, he will never find a 1G DSM flywheel in NZ.

Basically, a 225mm (DSM 1G FWD type flywheel) available from many suppliers on your shores, or from AUS or JPN.

I run this clutch, and it's a pretty hefty pedal feel and takes some getting used to. You can slip it just enough.

MB1-HDSS ACT 2100 clutch and pressure plate

You will likey have to have new OEM master and slave cylinders installed along with braided stainless lines to keep the clutch disengaging properly, and assuming your pedal box isn't slightly worn out. Pull the clutch pedal back from it's rest position, does it move back more or have play up at the pivot? Check now before getting a surprise with a stiffer clutch installed later.

There are other clutches out there now with a lighter pedal feel/effort ... so maybe steer towards a Southbend option (US only?) or JDM/EDM equivalent.

I don't recommend a light weight flywheel like I am using currently, consider a stock style piece after a read off RRE website. Other options exist, but keep the weight of the flywheel above 8.2lbs ... stock was 15.x lbs. Lighter units will bring you in around 11lbs, and that may be more acceptable. Reason being as you modify, and if you cannot compensate with tuning (ala Link V3) then you can have stalling issues and poor idle quality as the torsional whip of the crank, causes lots of havoc in decel. Gear noise/Diff noise, stalling upon clutch in at the lights, etc. Quick shifting when you are really giving her, but makes it a bit of a beast in parking lots and stop and go. Where you actually drive the car the most!

Bits of advice from my perceptions as I played the upgrade path, step by expensive step.

Guys at this forum will know loads about the clutches working best on your side of the pond, and in NZ dollars: http://www.4gtuner.com/

Most of the guys that were/are on GSR/Cyborg Club and/or the NZ Lancer forum when it was up, frequent there a whole lot. clutz and many others can find you mainland parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:07 am 
Restricted Newbie

Can I plug the oil cooler lines on 63t with parts off my 61t? I mean DO I NEED A OIL COOLER? Car wont be used for race or long distances?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:22 am 

You'll be perfectly fine without an oil cooler.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:24 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The oil cooler or plugs, are all bolt on whether you want to use it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:03 pm 
2nd Banana

I ran a KM210 transmission on a 4G63t for a long time, and I absolutely loved it. I prefer the shorter gearing, makes the car feel a lot more spirited in around-town use. I hardly think it makes the car useless. I used an ACT 2100 clutch for a 4g63t (225mm) with a stock 6-bolt 4g63t AWD flywheel and had no issues.

I'd recommend using an oil cooler if you can, but if not, the car will probably be ok. The 4g61t never came with an oil cooler stock, but 4g63t's did.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus