4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Driver Side Motor Mount
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:50 pm 

So i did a 4G63T swap on my 1991 1.5L dodge colt. And against my instinct, I decided to take my friend's advice and use a DSM driver side motor mount. It worked. But the engine is slightly crooked in the engine bay, and the turbo is awfully close to the radiator.

I know that the 1.6L 4g61 driver side mount is designed so that the mount is welded at a different location on the angle bracket, which would straighten out my engine and move it farther back (away from the radiator).

So my question:

Is there a difference between a 1989 Dodge colt 1.6L Turbo and a 1989 Mitsu Mirage 1.6L Turbo driver side mount?

Because according to Rock auto and Autozone, the mounts are different.

I also plan on making up my own solid front motor mount.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:04 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Same car same mount.

I can't speak for other engine setups with a 4g63 mounted in them, but our 89's use the same mount on all 4g61 motors regardless of turbo or not.

Now, whether or not they have a that little harmonic reduction thingy attached on top or not is another story.

I can't remember but I think it was Hyundai's or DSMS that had that little add on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

There are Dodge Colt (hatch and van, turbo/non turbo) parts that are all mixed up in the 1989 category. Looks like an 8108 timing mount is a SOHC variety piece.

Looked up Mitsu 1989 1.6L turbo and the timing mount looked correct. It did have that little harmonic piece on it too.

1992 Elantra mounted listed has a different part number (go figure) but it has the exact same setup, looks to be the same - don't quote me yet!!

I'd like to have someone weigh in on this and confirm that there motor was level if they used a 1992-1995 Elantra 1.6-1.8L timing side motor mount on their CSM swap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:14 pm 

OK well ill get this one

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine ... 80_0_4302/

AutoZone Part Number: 8108

Here is the Mirage Mount

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine ... 75_0_4281/

AutoZone Part Number: 9207.

The Colt mount is $35 cheaper. I wonder why

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:15 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Don't get an 8108!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 pm 

OK So it looks like AutoZone made a mistake. They are listing the SOHC colt mount on the Turbo page.

I will have to get the mirage one. Its only $75 on rock auto.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Hold up.

Here are my mounts before they were installed.

I think I have alignment issues with the mounts but it is because the bolt sleeves in the center, are not long enough and the squeeze is pulling things. Yet to be 100% confirmed.

But here are the correct mounts for reference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:33 pm 

I used the stock 1.5L Front and rear mounts that are bolted to the crossmember.

I also unbolted the front and rear brackets that were bolted to the block from the 1.5 and bolted them onto the 4g63 block. One bolted right Up. The other had a step in it and I used a small stack of hardened washers on one hole to get it flush.

I used the same 2 piece trans mount from the 1.5L too. I am running a 5 speed trans from a 1998 Mitsu Eclipse 2.4L FWD Non Turbo. Bolted right up to the 1990 4g63.

And I used a 4G63T 1G DSM mount for the Driver side. It all bolted right in. But required some persuasion.

I think the issue was the DSM mount. Your mount is welded about 1.5-2" from the mounting holes. On a DSM its about an inch away.

My front and rear rubber mounts are shot. Yours look nice. You must have polyurethane bushings or something. I was going to get the 1.6 Mirage driver side mount. And then fab up an aluminum insert to replace my rubber front mount. I am getting some wheel hop, and im thinking this will help.

Thanks for your help. I think we figured it out.

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yes, those mounts have the Eclipse/Talon inserts already installed. That Urethane is just as dirty today as it was back then. I did paint the visible ones, the trans and the timing stuff, years later.

Oh, and you are welcome. Anytime. 8)