4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01 am 
Restricted Newbie

I have a 1995 Hyundai elantra 1.8l. I bought a 4g63t red top motor with wire harness and ECM but the harness was cut all over. So I bought another harness witch is a 1st gen harness, does anyone know how hard an what all I have to do to wire up this harness an get the car running?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:35 am 
The Silent Administrator

What is the build date on the VIN tag?
Likely on the drivers door jamb placard.
Want to make sure you don't have a 1994.5+ model first and foremost.

You can use any 1st generation DSM harness, as the connectors are all the same on the Hyundai ends pre (<) 1994.5
We would have to know if you have sensors on the motor, like the Cam Angle Sensor (right side of the head, intake cam end), that plug in directly to the harness or if you have a long pigtail coming out of the sensor.
Basically, you need to know if you are going to use 1991+ or 1990- style sensors and the ECU you are going to incorporate into this scenario.
Do you want to keep the engine stock with the ability to upgrade down the road? Then you would be looking at getting an ECU with an Eprom chip, preferably already socketted for a plug and play eprom swap to allow for burning new code as things change; injectors, mass air flow sensors, fuel pump, etc. If you wanted to really get into things, then you can upgrade the ECU chip to ECMLinkV2-3 and get really technical, but first you need to accumulate quite a few parts to get everything to swap in with relatively little headache. There are lots of little things that do and don't fit when swapping all of this into any of the Sirius compatible frames/chassis's.

The guys/girls here have lots more to add, we just need to know where you are headed first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:22 am 
Restricted Newbie

It is a 94.5 the cam sensor is on the side with the trans don't know witch way to explain it but it has a long wire. The turbo ecu that came with the motor an cut 2nd gen harness I'm gonna use with the motor. I'm gonna use the 1st gen wire harness with the 4g motor if its possible. So I'm just gonna try to keeping it stock for now. Really just trying to get it running been on this project for bout a year. I have the motor sitting in the car with 5sp manual trans. The only big problem is trying to get the wire harness plug up with the motor an car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:57 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Sorry it's actoully a 95 the tag says apr/21/95.
An the cam angle sensor is on the left side if you looking from the front of the car on the trans side. I plan to keep it stock for a while an use the ECM that came with the motor an cut harness but use the 1st gen harness I just bought. I have the motor sitting in the car just having a hard time with wiring the 1st gen harness into the car an motor, plus don't know what I have to tag into.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:14 pm 
Restricted Newbie

It's a 1995 sorry. The cam angle sensors is on the left of your facing the car. I'm gonna keep it pretty stock. So I wanted to try to use the turbo ECM that came with the engine an cut harness but toys the 1st gen harness If possible. I have the motor sitting in just having trouble wiring in the harness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:33 am 

Where is the cam sensor, I missed it somehow? :lol:

All joking aside, the best thing to do is to get a factory service manual for your Elantra and another for whatever gen dsm harness you are using. Search both wiring manuals looking for the pinouts of the dash connectors and write it all down. Match up the hyundai wires with the dsm wires and either solder and heat shrink or fab up a plug and play adapter using the left over plugs from your original engine harness. I'd offer to help but don't have time to go through all these wires, its a very long process.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:19 am 
The Silent Administrator

www.lilevo.com/mirage/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:49 am 
Some call me a god

I could wire it for you, but I would have to charge you money because it would be too much like work.
Plus my shop is way over here in Tonawanda NY, and you are locationless. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 am 
Some call me a god

I would be happy to wire it for you, but I would have to charge you money because it would be just like work.
Besides my shop is way over here in Tonawanda NY, and you could be anywhere in the solar system. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:56 am 
Some call me a god

I would certainly be inclined to do the work you need, but I would have to trade work for dead presidents.
If you happen to be in my area, look up Dayo's Garage and give me a call.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I'm all the way in Denton tx bro!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yes, please post a location per the usual website rule sheet or somesuch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Yea I'm new to this but will do. So what y'all are saying the swap is a pain to do? I have the book for my car. Is there anyone close y'all know that has done this swap? Been trying at this for about a year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:28 pm 
Restricted Newbie

If I sent both stock harness and 4g63 harness to you how much would u charge?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:06 pm 
The Silent Administrator

In a nut shell, having all the parts in hand, ready to place in the engine bay, with all wiring handy, and the shell, would make this a complete and easier to perform task.

I'll let Dayo speak up if he wants to answer the question directly, but I can say it is always best if everything is right there in front of the Service Technician performing the work.

Yes. Two reference points or manuals would be need to compare everything. Hyundai used to have all their manuals up for free, now you can subscribe for 72 hours or something, and download whatever you need. They may be available online free. Used to more floating around than there is now, without the malware/adware sites selling these manuals back to people, when they are just hacked versions of what we were downloading years ago.

I wonder if the dash cluster takes the same feeds as the <94.5 cluster with reference to a tach input? <94.5 Kefico ECU's had identical pinouts and architecture to DSM/CSM Sirius motor stuff.
There are work arounds either way.