4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:56 am 
The Silent Administrator

So, does that make the FWD 94-98 Galant F5M31, the 2G (partly) style of the 89 KM210/F5M31 ?

Wondering what syncro style they use; fibrous flat pad or bronze/grooved.

This would make a long term solution to early syncro wear issues with the 89 C53A KM210.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 pm 

No idea on that one Tim, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:56 pm 

Quote:
For axles (I have the Expo knuckles and f5m33 tranny) I am using the Colt GT passenger side and colt GT half shaft/equal length on the driver side. YOu will snap the bajeeziz out of that non-turbo axle with a turbo setup.
How much power can they handle? My goal is 350-400 fwd hp. I am using the f5m33 tranny so would both these cvs be good or should I use a awd dsm half shaft with cv? I don't know how hard it will be to come across a Colt GT half shaft vs a dsm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 pm 
The Silent Administrator

FWD halfshafts are thicker because they are designed to see more torque (50-100%) than the front (left/right)/back(left/right) split of the AWD. AWD axles shafts therefore, are smaller in diameter because they receive less torque as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:18 pm 

Quote:
FWD halfshafts are thicker because they are designed to see more torque (50-100%) than the front (left/right)/back(left/right) split of the AWD. AWD axles shafts therefore, are smaller in diameter because they receive less torque as a result.

Sounds good, Question is where do I get 89 Colt GT axles? rockauto only sells the passenger side, I still need to get the the driver side and dsm intermediate shaft. There is no other driver side axle that will work with the fm533 trans? I know it might not be as beefy as the turbo colt ones but if it comes down to it I will send them to driveshaft shop and get them custom to that size

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Blackgsx, you just don't. Use a dsm awd 1g mid-shaft. grind 2mm off the transmission side spline. Then shim the bearing so that it doesn't. There is a write up with all the details. This mod should take about an hour.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 am 

Please keep updating your list from above. Here are some links I used to do my axles etc. You messaged me but I really like your post so I want you to have a complete list at the beginning of the post so it makes it easier on the next guy....No hunting just collecting parts and building.
Trans seal for driver side using the 90-94 awd manual intermediate shaft MD707184
With the 90-94 awd manual intermediate shaft you want to use a 89 colt turbo driver side cv axle and passenger side one also....Part numbers should be in the link below.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38025
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15
http://www.mirage-performance.com/sonata/Axles/

You will have to shim the bearing and put in a new intermediate shaft trans seal from above and grind some of the cv axle off until it doesn't bind in the trans. I did this by putting the passenger cv axles completely in. Then grind 2 mm off the input spline on the intermediate shaft. Grind as even as possible and round your lips to the splines like to slide in. I use a jewelers file to remove any debris from the spline tip. Insert the intermediate shaft and see how far off the holes on the bearing are from the block. They will be off up and down but you are currently trying to fix the left to right. If the shaft is still too long then but more. I think i really cut like 2mm out and did the next step. I found out when I went to turn the cv axle by hand that I needed to grind more as it bound up inside. I think the overall removal was 3-4mm. Less is better as it distributes that mad torque you will be laying down lol. I then took a Drimmel and a tunsten carbide cutting bit to slot the holes on the bearing vertically until the bearing was sitting perfect. This sound hard to do but it took an hour by myself. It would help to have a friend to be able to remove the axle as you stay under the car. One of these links should cover all this but I felt like writing a bit.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 am 

Quote:
Please keep updating your list from above. Here are some links I used to do my axles etc. You messaged me but I really like your post so I want you to have a complete list at the beginning of the post so it makes it easier on the next guy....No hunting just collecting parts and building.
Trans seal for driver side using the 90-94 awd manual intermediate shaft MD707184
With the 90-94 awd manual intermediate shaft you want to use a 89 colt turbo driver side cv axle and passenger side one also....Part numbers should be in the link below.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38025
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15
http://www.mirage-performance.com/sonata/Axles/

You will have to shim the bearing and put in a new intermediate shaft trans seal from above and grind some of the cv axle off until it doesn't bind in the trans. I did this by putting the passenger cv axles completely in. Then grind 2 mm off the input spline on the intermediate shaft. Grind as even as possible and round your lips to the splines like to slide in. I use a jewelers file to remove any debris from the spline tip. Insert the intermediate shaft and see how far off the holes on the bearing are from the block. They will be off up and down but you are currently trying to fix the left to right. If the shaft is still too long then but more. I think i really cut like 2mm out and did the next step. I found out when I went to turn the cv axle by hand that I needed to grind more as it bound up inside. I think the overall removal was 3-4mm. Less is better as it distributes that mad torque you will be laying down lol. I then took a Drimmel and a tunsten carbide cutting bit to slot the holes on the bearing vertically until the bearing was sitting perfect. This sound hard to do but it took an hour by myself. It would help to have a friend to be able to remove the axle as you stay under the car. One of these links should cover all this but I felt like writing a bit.

sounds good! I don't mind at all making a complete list with part numbers and ext. I will also take pics and make some "how to" updates with it. This car was a cable setup and its going to hydraulic, and swapping clutch pedals/modifying the brake pedal for the brake light switch. Also talking to 89Mirageman a lot and getting info from him on things he's done for upgrades. I haven't seen any info other than a discription on the rear 5 lug conversion, I would like to do this and provide lots of info with pics.

Now the only issue is getting a colt gt driver side axle. I thought I could/can use a 90-92 non turbo mirage driver side cv. I am assuming that its not as beefy but will work. So if it was to work and not pop out when turning then maybe I can send axle off to Thedriveshaftshop for a bar upgrade and provide prices for something of that nature to give people some more options.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:31 pm 

The part number was in the links I sent. Do a generic google search and some website will have it. Rockauto and Advance etc, you will not have much luck.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:51 pm 

Well I called the driveshaft shop and if I can get a driver side GT axle they can replicate it(stage 2) for 400$ and it will be rated at 400hp. It's expensive but gives people more options

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 pm 

DSMer, are you sure your intermediate shaft wasn't from an auto 1g? You shouldn't have to do any cutting or grinding to get it to work it if was from a manual car. You can buy the correct spacer from Mitsu to shim it out if you're not using an ac bracket on the back of the block.

Another option on the axles is to get 92-95 elantra lca's and use dsm axles. Not sure if that has been mentioned or not.

Also na dsm axles won't work unless they were made for the 1.6 na cars. Then have the longer inner axle stubs. The 1.5 ones are not long enough for the circlip to snap into the diff. Still the 1.6 na uses a long driver's side axle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:15 pm 

The f5m31 supposedly has shorter gear ratio also.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX