4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:58 am 

OK so I started the 4g63t swap in my 91 colt. It was originally a 1.5 automatic car but we 5 speed swapped it, Now it has a 1990 4g63t out of a Plymouth laser. I have the stock ECU out of a 1990 DSM and harness out of a Mirage turbo.

I pulled the stock 1.5 harness out, Whats left in the car from the stock colt wiring at the passenger side kick panel are:

-large white connector
-large grey connector
-smaller black 4 pin (or so) connector.

I installed the mirage turbo harness, and it has both the smaller and large black connectors. But there is no large grey connector,

I turn the key to crank and nothing happens. I do not have a fuel pump relay, MPI, MFI or whatever relay this is. Its a small metal box that goes under the dash by your left foot while sitting in the passenger seat.

I know this controls the fuel pump. I have 2 of these relays for the 1.5. can I run one of these in the mirage harness? The connectors are different. Would not having this cause my starter to not crank over

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:26 pm 

The leftover grey plug is an auto only plug. It's for the P, N, R, D and so on for the auto cluster.
You will need the correct MPI relay. I do believe it sends power to the starter so that's probably your issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:21 am 

We figured it out. We found an MPI relay. And we also found that the 4 pin connector did not have the signal wire to the starter solenoid. We ran a wire from the starter relay on the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side to the 4 pin connector on the passenger side. Then the starter worked.

We then had no spark. Turns out someone had tried to wire the harness to use a newer ignitor (8 pin), even though our ECU was looking for the 6 pin version. We rewired the harness to use the 6 pin and then got spark and it fired right up.

We are now troubleshooting a faulty MAF connector. We only have a 2G DSM MAF. So we are converting the connector to run a 2G MAF.

After that, its just the exhaust. We have a full 3" stainless exhaust. 1G DSM downpipe fits perfect. Started the swap the Wednesday night, Should be driving by Sunday. Cant Wait!

Ill post in the builds section when we get it done. The swap is all being recorded on video too,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:42 pm 

I would run at least 550 injectors with that, 450's are pushing it with a 2g maf. Not sure if the ecu is gonna like that maf either without something to tune it.