4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 pm 

Can you use the stock 1.5L 4g15 air conditioning after a 4g63t swap?

I have a 1991 dodge colt, 1.5L. The A/C works perfectly and I'd like to use it after the 4g63t 6 bolt swap. Can this be done? Are the compressors and compressor mounts to the engine the same between the two engines?

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:09 pm 

Yes it can, you just need to swap the pulley from a 2g dsm compressor to your stock 1.5 compressor and the system does not even need to be drained.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 pm 

Or get the pulley from any 89-93 galant, doesn't have to be a GVR4. Grab the mounting bracket/tensioner as well since they are the same parts as the original turbo colt/mirage and much easier to find. I did this a few weeks ago for my stock 1.5 ac compressor and everything bolted right up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:06 pm 

So if I get a 2g DSM pulley, do I use the DSM engine bracket, or 1.5 Colt Bracket?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:36 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Just be careful when ordering a Galant bracket.

I thought it was the later 91/92 models that were identical to the 89 4g61t bracket.

It's on the site here, googling the pics will show which parts option you have to match.

Heck, looking it up for a C53a and Galant E39a 91/92 or E33a non turbo will show you the parts pics at www.partsbase.org

Search my username or 89Mirageman and AC brackets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:42 am 
Some call me a god

The Galant bracket that "doesn't" fit will fit if you grind a little on the back of it ;)

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I know I am thinking of the AC crossover for 4g61 cars, and their direct equivalent.

There are two styles of brackets on GVR4's, and one is identical to the 4g61's.

Sounds like the 4g15 with the pulley swap is something I hadn't heard of until now.

It's not surprising that USDM stuff has so much crossover, just have to be careful if the car has a JDM compressor, because although a very slim possibility of it having an actual Japanese Domestic Market setup, it usually spells "different" for CSM's and DSM's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:42 pm 

Nate posted up about the pulley swap a while back. It was one of those "damn, why didn't I think of that" moments :lol: . I can say for sure that you can reuse the 4G15 AC compressor and lines. Just bolt the 6g Galant mounting bracket and tensioner assembly on and swap the v-belt pulley out for the galant's rib pulley. Just remove the small 8mm headed bolts on the outside of the pulley, slide it off and replace it with the new one. You don't have to mess with the nut in the center or anything. I just hooked up my lines yesterday as a matter of fact. It was a pain getting to them to get them on straight and start the bolts but it's doable for sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 am 

OK so I finally got the 1.5 ac compressor installed on the 4g63t. I got a compressor bracket, tensioner and ribbed pulley of of a parts car and got it all bolted up. But when I turn the AC knob on the dash nothing happens.

Yesterday I traced the wires and found that a female 6 pin connector is missing. There is a male 6 pin connector that seems to lead to the AC box behind the driver side headlight. One is a black with a white stripe. If I apply 12 volts to this wire the ac compressor relay clicks and the compressor turns on and blows cold air. But I'm pretty sure that is bypassing the pressure switch and will over pressurize the system. (Belt started squealing really bad so I yanked the jumper wire)

Is the engine harness from a turbo mirage different from the 1.5 colt in respect to the AC? What do I need to do you wire it up properly? I think it is missing the wires that come from the dash (female 6 pin connector). In not too familiar with air conditioning systems.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 pm 

Lilevo used to sell a AC video describing the swap. I broke out both manuals and traced it all out when I swapped my car a few months ago. Pretty sure it's all right but I ordered a reman compressor and still haven't put it on yet.

I do know that the csm compressor has a refrigerant temp sensor that the dsm don't so I had to add wires for that. Also the pressure switch is in a different spot on the csm so you'll have to extend those wires if you're using a 1g dsm engine harness on your swap.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:27 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
The Galant bracket that "doesn't" fit will fit if you grind a little on the back of it ;)
found out the same thing here, have pics of where to grind somewhere....

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 am 

I think what I'll try is just wire in the pressure switch in line with the 12v applied to the compressor relay.

Unless someone has the wiring diagram? I have the air conditioning off of a 91 colt 1.5. And the engine harness off of a 89 mirage turbo.

I'll do some more research

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:43 am 

If you're already using the csm turbo harness you should be fine. The ac fuse box behind the D/S headlight has a harness that plugs right in. I'm almost positive this is the same part on the 4G61 and 4G15 cars.

Edit: Just went back a few posts and read some more. So you're saying somebody clipped the plug off of the engine harness?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm 

I'll look a little more but I don't see any plug. In the corner of driver side of the engine bay by the hood hinge there is a canister that has the pressure switch and AC lines running to it. Right next to this there is a male 6 pon connector. It leads to the fuse box behind the headlight.

I can't find the female connector that its supposed to plug into. I don't think anything was cut off the engine harness. I'll look for it. Maybe it got tucked away somewhere during the engine swap.

Maybe the csm turbo car I got the harness from didn't have ac?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:14 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Turbo could have had AC or no AC.

You'll need to trace wiring/find any lack of connectors.