4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 pm 

So I have a chipped ecu installed in my 89 GT, programmed by a member on the forum. I'd like to just be able to reprogram the chip for new mods, but I have no clue what programmer I need.

Mechacode has an older programmer for sale, but I'm unsure if it's what I actually need.
Searching on the dsm forums reveals something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB5-0E-Willem- ... 41810fc2b1

I've also heard of some newer options such as ostrich, dsmlink, and tunerpro. I really don't understand the differences between these options other than they are newer than my somewhat ancient (so I'm told) chipped ecu. I have no desire to spend money on going to something new, as my mods are standard (14b, bigger pump, inj, fmic, afpr) and power goals modest (eventually id like to go 16g)--all on pump gas.

Does anyone have any insight on this ancient art?
thanks!
nick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:08 pm 

A pic of my chipped ecu, if it helps:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:30 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I used to write my own code years ago. Before ECM Link I used to do a ton of tinkering with the code even ran lean burn code for a while too. I also have an eprom burner and UV eraser just sitting holding papers down. I know you said you didn't want to spend any more money but honestly if you can afford to go ECM Link, even if its V3 Lite, its well worth it. ECM Link is simply an eprom that plugs into your ECU just like your "chip" only it interfaces with software on a laptop and basically turns your stock ECU into a standalone ECU.

As for a comparison between burning your own eproms, using an Ostrich and ECM Link, think of Link as a user friendly Apple computer and using an Ostrich or burning your own code as a Linux computer. Its not necessarily rocket science but you do have to pull up the proper memory addresses and write in the proper hexidecimal code.

What mods did you have before, what did you change recently and what is your chip written for?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm 

Okay, that makes more sense.
So all of these new (more or less) standalones plug into the same chipped port I have on the ecu?

I was reading that something like the Ostrich would be fine given I already have the chipped ecu. Thoughs?
http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-ne ... l?cPath=50

I'm not opposed to something like the above options, I just assumed I would have to get a different sort of modded ecu.

The chip I have now is for 440s, 2g maf, 2.5in exhaust, and fmic, at around 14psi. For now I want to install a bigger pump (255), afpr, and 660s, and as I said, eventually upgrade to a 16g (or thereabouts).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:14 am 
The happy administrator

Get Ostrich, you'll love it.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 pm 

So to be clear, Ostrich hooks directly into a already socketed ecu? And then you need to add a new iat and map sensor (with harnesses)? How accessible is the tuning? Are there base maps available?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:15 pm 
The happy administrator

Ostrich is essentially a chip with a ribbon wire connected to it that connects to the black box. The black box emulates whatever .bin you put in. Using tunerpro, you can edit the bin/switch bin/edit bins on the fly/etc. Yes your ecu needs to be socketed. You do not need to add an IAT or map sensor, that's to use Jackal (speed density). I can send you a copy of stock/modified bins. Once you set it up, you can edit timing and afr maps along with a batch of other things. You can either edit the bin and then take your laptop to the car (or bring the emulator in the house) or you can hook your laptop to the emulator box while the car is running to tune it live.

Have a:
Round 3:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:26 pm 

Wow, things have come a long way. This sounds like a great cheap option. Since i already have the socketed ECU, I'll likely go ahead and pick it up.

I appreciate you all telling me the basics. I did a lot of searching and it was hard to get a straight answer to these basic questions.

Mech - thanks a lot. I'll let you know when I pick it up and grab those files from you. :partyman:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:18 pm 
The happy administrator

I know how you feel, every time someone asks about anything related to tuning on any forum, people just scream ecu(dsm)link like that's the only solution. It always blows people's minds when they find out you can do 90% of the same stuff with Ostrich and it's $400 cheaper.

Have a:
Round 3: