4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ok, so problem after problem when it comes to reviving this colt that's been sitting for awhile. OK, so upon finishing mostly everything and putting the front wheels back on. While the colt was still on jack-stands I shifted again in gear and notice a vibration. I shut off the car and check each side. The drivers side intermediate axle bolts in place and the outer cv is good. It spins freely. When I checked the passenger side I turn the wheel and it pushes the trans/motor towards the drivers side motor mount. It looks like it's almost binding when at the top of it rotation. I know the passenger axle was a pain to get into the trans and hub. I basically had to remove the strut bolts along with the brake line just to push the hub further down to install the passenger side axle into the hub. I got the axle awhile back from a friend. Honestly, I forget what dsm it came from. I don't recall having this issue before. Anyways, I ordered a 95 1.8 elantra passenger axle that should be here tomorrow. You guys think because the axle is longer it would cause the motor/trans to shift over? Any thoughts? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

Will the 95 elantra 1.8 passenger side axle work on the dsm trans and colt stock hub? Or should I order the 1988 colt gts passenger axle? The elantra one should be in tomorrow, but I found online that another local store has the 88 colt gts passenger axle. Will either one work just fine? Thanks a bunch, this is pretty much the last obstacle so I can drive. The rest I can do while being able to drive still. I'm just trying to finish this up by tomorrow because I'm leaving again with the military... Would be nice to be able to drive it there and when get back have her to look forward to :)

*Side note I finally took her out the garage. I don't have my plates switched yet or insurance so I intended only to drive down the long driveway, but it was to short lol. So I took her half way down street, then few more passes and well let's say o how I missed driving this colt!! I just didn't beat on her because of this issue I was mainly concern it was all operational, but so happy!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The Elantra uses a longer control arm setup, meaning, if the frame rails are roughly in the same spot, and the engine and the trans is in the same spot, you might have longer axles on an Elantra.

I don't suggest using them, unless you can confirm the axle cup/stub length, seal area (which from memory are the seals I use on my 3G hub, and the inner axle body length, and the length of the center shaft portion. If you come out with a longer axle setup when collapsed fully, you have the potential for binding, and that means pushing the engine/motor sideways, when there should never be any movement induced that way ... ever.

Order a proper turbo axle, and call it a day. 88 or 89 turbo as all the guys are posting about in the axle thread.

Sounds like the axle you have from the DSM had a seized or seizing inner tripot joint.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 am 
CSM Junkie

hey thanks for the reply! Yeah after taking for a soft test ride. My memory came back to me when I last rode her. I remember the vibration, (since its all solid) I figured it was normal. One problem after another, I'm assuming since my top hat on the dsm strut was and then went completely bad, I never noticed it doing what its doing now because of all the free play. Upon getting new strut tops, its once again solid and when the hub rotates on the passenger side, at a certain point in its rotation it pushes the trans/motor away.

I went ahead and found a post on here listing the pass/right side axle s/n. I called carquest and that number was crossed referenced. I then ask if had a 88/89 turbo and the number was different so he ordered both for me. Hopefully tomorrow they will be good! Yes, I was reading a post that someone said use elantra axles, yea it was taller then the one I have now.