4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi there all,
Partner and I received a Mitsi Mirage cyborg with a 4g63t in it last night, Drives awesome, BUT:
it idles low and really rough and the throttle response it terrible its algood putting foot down but when i go to change gear it idles really high between gears cant say what rpm exactly as the rpm gauge not working and when its in 3rd gear it stays at 50 kph with out foot on excellerator

Last edited by NZChick on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:22 pm 
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Hi there all,
Partner and I received a Mitsi Mirage cyborg with a 4g63t in it last night, Drives awesome, BUT:
it idles low and really rough and the throttle response it terrible its algood putting foot down but when i go to change gear it idles really high between gears cant say what rpm exactly as the rpm gauge not working and when its in 3rd gear it stays at 50 kph with out foot on excellerator
One of the biggest problems is the ecu.I would start with just checking that to make sure you dont have leaky caps.If not, move to the throttle body and check to see if the idle control screw is missing or opened too much.It is very hard to trouble shot someone's car without being there to mess with things,to see if it helps with the problems.---I hope some of these ideas will help you and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:19 pm 
Restricted Newbie

OK so after working on the car for a bit, Finding vacuum leaks all over the place which we have fixed and swapping out a atmospherically venting bov, for a evo one we are still having issues, mainly low idle causing car to stall, we have cleaned IAC and Throttle, Also clutch continually drops to the floor while driving we have bleed the lines but believe master cylinder has had it.

Would anyone know why we are idling so low??? Maybe something unplugged?

Its a 4g63t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:48 pm 

I would check the timing..and adjust the idle screw that is on the throttle body.. make sure you ground the wire on the firewall first.. if both are good try spraying carb cleaner around the TB and where the intake bolts to the head.. if any change in rpms then you have a vacume leak there.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:36 am 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
I would check the timing..and adjust the idle screw that is on the throttle body.. make sure you ground the wire on the firewall first.. if both are good try spraying carb cleaner around the TB and where the intake bolts to the head.. if any change in rpms then you have a vacume leak there.

Steve
Firstly What wire should i be grounding to the firewall?
Checked the timing (Mint) Cleaned TB and IAC, also checked the resistance at IAC all reading 30
How do i adjust my TPS so its correct?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Timing setup.
http://www.plymouthlaser.com/timin.htm

Adjusting BISS.
http://vfaq.com/mods/BISS-1G.html

TPS adjustment.
http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tps.htm

Of note when setting the timing, you only need to ground the single wire on the firewall; wire goes to a two terminal plug and is likely capped, only one wire inside.
Also of note when setting the basic idle speed, you need to ground terminal 10 on the DLC connector inside the car just to the side of the under dash fuse block.
Make sure the engine is above 180 degrees when checking the timing, all accessories off.
Same situation when setting the BISS/basic idle speed.

5 degrees is base timing, you will see likely 10-12 degrees of actual with all wiring detached and the ECU compensating for atmostpheric changes (higher timiing advance) and loads.

Make sure you have 1-2mm of slack in the throttle cable, as adjusted with the two little bolts up at the back of the intake manifold.
Check to make sure you have the Idle Stop Switch grounded up on the side of the throttle body, just above the green springs that hold the tension on the throtte plate.
There is a zip tied ugly rubber boot on that switch. Confirm that when you close that switch, a test light connected to battery +, will iluminate.
If it fails to illuminate, you need to see if the little plate between the TB elbow/TB/intake manifold and the top phillips head screw is missing or not. You need a ground from the head of the rear upper bolt (the long one that goes through those three parts) to the TB so as to carry a ground path for your idle stop switch.
Also check that your engine has a little ground strap attached at one of the two bolts on the intake manifold that hold the throttle cable in place.
That wire will likely ground straigh back at a common ground point with a few other mianly black wires. It may be a black w/yellow stripe.

These are just some of the basics.

Now, what we need to know is what year and model Cyborg this is.
If you can PM your VIN, I can run it and find out what model you have via ASA the Mitsu parts search program, or you can post a picture of the outside of the car, then some underhood pics, so we know what kind of motor we are dealing with.

Also, yeah I'm coming to a close on this one I assure you .... do your sensors on the throttle body have pigtails that lead to connectors, or do the sensors have a connector that plugs directly into the body of the sensor?
Pigtails equals early model JDM/USDM
Direct connector equals later model JDM/USDM