4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm 

Hey,
Thats right I want to customize the outlet size of my td04. (4g61t motor)

Reason - im running a 2.5 inch IC system all the way to the throttle body (thanks to slowdsm for the advice to upgrade to a 2g throttle body elbow with a 2.5 inch inlet)

ok sooo what i want to do is increase the outlet size of the td04 turbo to a minimum of 2 inches... at the moment it's like 1.75 or some stupid measurement.

I was thinking of getting this tool
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0798546949

and just simply expanding the pipe so that from there i can use a 2 - 2.5 inch silicone reducer.....

question is... can I do that or is the metal on the outlet of the td04 going to crack ? ive never done this before but thought it would be the most efficent way to increase size.

otherwise i was going to go to a race engineering place and have a custom outlet pipe made up.

if any one has attempted this before or knows of a better way please let me know :)...
on monday I think I might start posting up my build as I dont think there are many australian's on here reppin a 4g61t in a lancer ca / cb lancer GSR
(lancer gsr has a blown motor atm thinking of transferring my lancer ca project to the gsr ...which isnt far from mine)

Last edited by jaetea on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:11 pm 

that is a good idea but I think it will split/crack the pipe before it gets to 2"....

I just went outside (froze my butt off) and took this pic.. it shows my 2" to 2 1/2" reducer hose... the pipe its on is only 1 3/4" but since it has 2 bumps on it the clamp is holding it good and it wont slip off.. and as I posted in the other thread. im hitting 18 psi boost with no leaks.

I hope this helps and shows how I did mine... but you can always try those tools to make it closer to 2".. just dont go to far and crack it.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

Cut and weld?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:53 pm 

took it to a muffler shop about 10 mins ago he got it nicely and polished to like 1.95 inches and the hose sits nice and snug now... no cracks...
cost me $10 :)

by the way slowdsm I noticed your intercooler piping runs sorta at the same height as the outlet... how did you manage that? i have to do a 90 degree angle to get it down then around where the oem piping goes to the front mount (i have a same side front mount both inlets are on the left side when you look at the car from the front.)

also where is your radiator fan?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:13 pm 

the black pipe is from a 1g dsm.. I have a factory 1.6 one and it is longer and bends downwards more.. (and it doesnt have the vacume port on it). mine is also same side fmic..

the fan is located on the driver side (here in the us).. looking at this pic it is to the right of the hood latch in the big area..but on the motor side as a puller fan. ill try to snap a pic of it tomorrow..

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 am 

ah i see the main difference now... you have a different model car to me, and a diff radiator..
and well obviously your fan is on the other side
i was wondering how your piping fit through the front, i have to run mine all the way around.

im going to start my build thread i think itd be good to get some input seeing as there are so many different cars with this engine :)

by the way whats with that funky looking spark plug cover? are they some type of different sprk lead or is that this dual rail thing ive heard about (no idea what that means)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 am 

yeah im useing a vw scirocco style radiator.. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-80107N/

and those are what people call COP... coil on plug .. no more buying spark plug wires..

theres different kits on e-bay.. just need to be carefull as some are cheap junk ones..

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 am 

ah I see seperate coil for each plug directly on it... not a bad idea.

u know i wish i had that much room in my engine bay....

im still trying to figure out if i should remove my aircon or not..... this car wont be going on the road its for race only but apparently i need more weight in the car for its class?
make much of a power difference with no aircon??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:39 pm 

if yours is all stock with the rubber piping.. then yes u will gain a lil HP if you remove it all and replace it from the turbo out with metal 3" pipe and a good filter. ( mine is a cheap free filter lol).. if I recall u gain 7-15 hp just doing that.... cause if you look at that whole system there isnt much air going into it.. so it is very restrictive.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Think that JaeTea was commenting on removing his AC components. Well, if you wanted to, you could. If you are driving in dusty/dirty stuff all the time, your finds on the rad and condenser will plug up pretty good. If you aren't running the AC during races, it could be a slight hinderance to air flow through the radiator. That being said, your radiator is also 50% larger and thicker than it needs to be, just like a Talon/GVR4, so you will be doing no harm by keeping your AC. If the AC works, that is a huge bonus because you can turn it on when your are driving the car around. Heck, you can make this a street legal car, with some off road accessories attached to it, but you guys do have some strict PO PO/on-road-enforcement down there IIRC.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:52 pm 

yeah the aircon works beautifully.
and i dont think the power loss is to great, in comparison to me overheating
it does hit over 40 Celsius where i live, and being in a car with that heat for hours :o
like today were on 32 celsius and its only that cool at the moment cause it's been raining and its slight overcast.

slowdsm what ecu are you running?
I thought you couldnt remove the air filter can as the maf is in there....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:37 pm 

I have a 90 dsm eprom ecu.. running speed density with ostrich and jackal program (from ds-map.net) for tuning.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yeah, you can use an EPROM chipped ECU and swap out to a different air flow sensor that makes it easier to mount it in a different location, or use a cold air box where the battery usually sits. Not sure what rules will be when you are racing, but if the car moves into the cabin/boot, there will be a considerable effort to make it sanctionable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:29 am 

what do you mean eeprom chipped ecu?
i know what an eprom chip is from a computer ... is it like that a sort of add on that you plug in to be able to run a different maf?

moving the battery to the boot is not worth the money for the performance i would gain (i was going to do a bonet scoop with a cold pipe run ning to it)
cams regulations are very strict on how the wires need to run , box, how its secured etc etc. and it could almost cost me as much as the ic setup.

so all i did is run a 3 inch silicone adaptor from the air box and ran that behind the indicator light.
i figure thats cold air from there and i didnt think i would gain enough hp for cost to do it another way... but im intrigued on this eeprom thing anyone got any idea where to get one from?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:29 pm 

just looked it up and i can see you can buy eprom chips for your ecu.. but then there are standard ones listed there.. how do i know if my ecu is chipped? i know mine is out of a vr4
i have been thinking about buying tuning software as ive seen them before but was never sure if it would work with my car
was looking at this cable then get software
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111060876295 ... 1423.l2649