4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm 
Restricted Newbie

personally i love the lack of torque for when it comes to anything offroad/snow (lots of both around here, lol), and after getting 43-44 mpg driving a 1.6 4afe toyota for a few years 120 miles each way (college) & drivin a 3100 v6 chevy lumina that got 31-31.5mpg regularly & 28-29 in a 3.4 DOHC LQ1 lumina (positively *amazing* engine performance wise), im very spoiled as to what great gas mileage is lol.

getting 40mpg+ is absolutely addicting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
id never try for 15k rpms, 10 sure, 12-maybe, but not 15 lol
Well yeah, that was just a number that I pulled out of my ass. I don't think anyone has tried to rev any 4G motor past 11-12k.
Quote:
& the last stage workover on the dsm awd trans offered by Sheptrans (before going to the $7,000-8,000 Dog Box) for the manuals can push over 10k+ rpms-other than those, im yet to find any trans that seems to wanna go over 8k :(
Unless Shep is having custom gearsets made that are stronger, I don't see how this would be possible for any extended period of time. I have a really old TRE trans in my car (~10-12 years old), and it shifts great at 9,000rpm.
Quote:
& like i said, its not really a matter of power, its for a great mpg micro-engined weekend cruiser, & maybe to play in the snow in... (i had a buddy with a 4g64 5 speed 3g & im assuming an lsd, & the damn thing got around better in the snow than most of the 4x4s around here when the snow went crazy here in ohio a few years ago).
There are lots of ways to get awesome gas mileage in these cars without using some wacky engine combination. I got 33mpg in my Mirage with a 4G63 swap and a 1g DSM FWD trans & AWD 5th gear. This was just with basic S'AFC + wideband tuning, didn't even have an EPROM ECU in the car. 660cc injectors and a Walbro 190lph pump. A lightweight FWD car with some good tuning will go a long way.

the highest level of dsm awd manual trans upgrades from sheptrans did come with upgrades to the gears, dont remember what they are though since they took that info off the main site somewhat recently (although they still do the work, they try to do more with Evo's & the like nowadays i guess, probably more money in it).