4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: noob head stud question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:13 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well hello may I start off by introducing myself, im james im 24 I live in the lake county area and i run a shop in kenosha wi..I am the proud owner of an 89 Colt gt... that said a few days ago the head gasket blew I have a plan on what gasket to use my question is head studs. Will arp 4g63 studs work, or do I have to fine oem 4g61 studs??? If I have to use oem studs are they strech?? Thats really all for now.. if any1 is in ky area message me or something be cool to get some photos being the fact of I never see these cars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:10 am 
Some call me a god

I think the 4g63 studs should work. I think they changed the hole size on 2g 7bolt heads.

2016 ram 1500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 am 

6bolt 12mm (4g61 as well)
7bolt 11mm (1g 7bolts as well) (changed mid of '92)

You can use 4g63 arp's. But the stock bolts are reusable - 105-115nm. No indication that they are stretch type.
For example 4g9x head bolts are stretch and have 75nm +90° +90°

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product ... t=0&page=1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 am 
Restricted Newbie

Thank you guys ill be orderibg some arp head studs this weekend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I just installed the studs that were previously used in my 4g61t, now residing inside a 1G 4g63t.

Get some ARP Molylube/assembly lube with those studs, if you get them used and they do not come with any, and set to ARP's specs. That or 30W oil and use 120 ft/lbs on your final pass, of three increments total. Put the oil on the washer the nut contact area and threads of the nut. Hand tighten the studs into the block. Make sure the threads are squeaky clean in the block. If not, go buy a tap to clean them. 14mm 12 point deep socket setup for 1/2" torque wrench also required.

When you re-install the head, the large front mount bracket with the two tall studs may interfere with your exhaust manifold stud furthest to the right. This means installing the studs after you place the head down, will have to happen, or you can cut off the ear of the mount per VFAQ.com. I found that because of the washers and nuts not fitting past the valve springs (read close proximity), I installed the studs after the head was placed down. I found out the hard way with the dual intake runner manifold installed to the head and with the head down far enough to get stuck on that exhaust stud and then having to back out the studs that had trouble clearing the EVO8/9 valve springs. Likely I had this issue with stock springs also, back with the 4g61 head.