4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: KM 210 hp level?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:19 pm 
So still with the original tranny that came with my GT though it was rebuilt by TRE in 2007; and although the synchros are failing at high revs otherwise holding up well. Anyway, thinking of uprading to a heck of a deal used 3586 hta from my current fp green, and am wondering if the km210 can handle the extra 100 or so whp or will I need to switch to a F5M33 ?

Post subject: Re: KM 210 hp level?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
So still with the original tranny that came with my GT though it was rebuilt by TRE in 2007; and although the synchros are failing at high revs otherwise holding up well. Anyway, thinking of uprading to a heck of a deal used 3586 hta from my current fp green, and am wondering if the km210 can handle the extra 100 or so whp or will I need to switch to a F5M33 ?
It's not so much horsepower that kills trannies, it's torque. If you're making all your power up at high RPM's you're less likely to strip teeth off your gears, but you'll kill the synchros from all the high-RPM shifting. There aren't a lot of ways to win there. I say just run it until it pukes on you and then consider other options, or get the KM210 rebuilt now and put some stronger stuff in it while it's still basically in good shape.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
Some call me a god

If you can get enough traction to break the transmission it would be a fluke.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:57 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Like the other guys said, but fun factor drops when you get an F5m33 and it's lower RPM gearing, forte same road speed. I'm going that route next season, as I can't afford the final bits for my trans build this season I just reinstalled the kM210 that was shipped up from Virginia and that I've been running since 2009, and with the upgraded clutch for 3 years now.

You could refresh all the syncros and a few other bits, and likely have it back up and running or go down the rebuild road again and ship it out, pick up in Ogdensburg or wherever.

Our early trans will never win versus the syncros of a fibrous nature, going to 91 FwD trans and gears allows for syncros in all 5 forward gears, 3 or 4 of which can be double syncros IIRC. From what Jon Ripple says the fibrous syncros have a better grip allowing for lighter shifting engagement effort, but longevity is not their strong suit in this case.

All depends on what you want to spend the money on, and the final outcome.

I'd suggest a bigger set of gears with larger teeth, ie the 91-early 92 FWD trans. This way it's 25 spline, can take an LSD like the Quaife, and can be modded way more than the Km210, with the added torque capability. Besides how many cycles have those KM210 gears gone through now? Just a matter of time before they let go from fatigue; if you read this by the books and with a larger turbo. More likely to spit out teeth at higher road speeds as you lay into it, versus drag strip launches where traction may be limited or just not hitting the same torque because you now have a larger turbo waitin to spool. I don't know the power band of the turbo, but I'm onboard for a trans swap! But its not my wallet!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:26 pm 
The Silent Administrator

TeamRIP on trans torque capacities:

http://teamrip.com/clutch_info.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:46 am 
Some call me a god

Awesome info^

Personally I didn't notice a gearing difference between the KM210 and the F5M33 although I know there is a small one. I ran my stock 200k+ mile KM210 pretty hard until it developed a leak on the shift shaft seal but still shifts great, it is now my back up. My current tranny is a F5M33 stock unknown miles and has 1.80 60fts. on it, this is on a ACT2100 street disc, I'm confident with more practice it will hold 1.7s and be reliable. I think with our cars being so light it really gives us a huge advantage in tranny/clutch reliability. Also they are right about torque, you can make 500whp but only 350wtq like Tonus and not brake a thing :) All in all if your syncros are toast then they are toast. Try some heavier fluid maybe? Otherwise I would say it could hold fine but it will really depend on how you're driving it and what you're goals are.

07 ZX6R