4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: swap nightmare
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 am 
Restricted Newbie

Ok I've been fighting with my colt for months. I have a 90 colt with a 4g63 swap but I can't get these axles to line up the angle is ridiculous . Now from my reading I'm suppose to use colt gt mounts but I don't have a colt timing side mount bracket or trans bracket where can source these parts if I need them HELP A BROTHER OUT.

Post subject: Re: swap nightmare
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm 

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=25358

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 am 
CSM Junkie

Did you ever fix the problem? Ask 89mirageman if he has any motor mounts, if you need them still.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:57 am 

I'm modding a trans mount for him as we speak and I pointed him in the right direction on the t-belt mount too. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:57 am 
Restricted Newbie

is see you swapping from a 1.5 to a 4g63 but what if you have the gt will you still need the modify the factory mounts and what about the harness?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 am 
CSM Junkie

Was it a 4g61t GT or a 1.5l GT?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 am 
Restricted Newbie

IT IS A 4G61T 89 DODGE COLT GT. I BOUGHT 6 BOLT FULL MOTOR WITH HARNESS AND ECU IM JUST TRYING TO GET ALL THE PARTS TOGETHER BEFOR I DO THE SWAP THIS WEEKEND
:supz:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

If you still have the original motor in the GT, just use all the mounts from it for the new motor. Take a look at the harnesses to verify, but you should be good on the wiring. Someone else will have to chime in to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:03 pm 

What year car was the 4G63T pulled from? Only the one with 90 DSM electronics is a direct swap but you can use the sensors from the 4G61T. I'd get a 90 DSM throttle body though because the 61T one has a smaller bore.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
The Silent Administrator

^^^ Yes, definitely re-use the CAS, water outlet from the head, and TPS sensor from your stock 4g61t harness/motor.

They have the appropriate length of wire and connectors for the 90 DSM style setup.

Also, you likely won't be able to fit the trans support bracket that came way up to the passenger side of the head near the intake outermost attachment point, also passenger side of the head. Some brackets like the fancy Y piece will swap over, cannot remember if it sits flush with the CAS or not, likely it does get held in place with the nut at the rear of the CAS. I pulled mine two months ago and I had lost or forgotten to put that nut back on. Woops.

If you have AC, reuse the Colt/Mirage AC bracket, not the DSM bracket if attached to that motor. The AC compressors are different between cars/motors, so keep the Colt/Mirage piece. Also the 4g61t AC tensioner bracket should be re-used, or if you need another the 92 GVR4's had the same mount/pulley setup. Ask me how I know! 8)

Do you still have the stock intermediate shaft running from KM210 transmission to the bracket on the back of the block? AC or spacers still installed in the portion where they are sandwich by the intermediate shaft bracket to the two holes in the rear of the block?? I noticed you were having trouble lining things up .....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Feel free to post me your VIN for the Registry!

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19530

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 am 
Restricted Newbie

so i do have to modify a trans mount? and i fo have all the ac on the Colt still so i will be swapping that over to the 63!!! good to know. As for the 92 vr4... how do you know??? :o how do i know what trans csame in my car is there a tag on it or in the glove box maybe i dont know

on a side note.. on the 63, as far as the balance shaft do you just not put that little belt on for it or do i have to remove it completely

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 am 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
so i do have to modify a trans mount? and i fo have all the ac on the Colt still so i will be swapping that over to the 63!!! good to know. As for the 92 vr4... how do you know??? :o how do i know what trans csame in my car is there a tag on it or in the glove box maybe i dont know

on a side note.. on the 63, as far as the balance shaft do you just not put that little belt on for it or do i have to remove it completely
For good reference, we have manuals located in the top of every section of the forum. Its a sticky on the top of every main page. Manuals separate of everything else in the thread, are located here:
http://Www.lilevo.com/mirage/

Trans code is located just below the cylinder head (pass side) but is stamped into the bell housing. You should have a KM210 original transmission. 5 speed standard. That trans was also available in early Sonatas also. If you look in right where the pass side wheel well plastic splash shield cover the outer most part of the trans, that is the cover for 5th gear and likely has KM210 or F5M31 embossed there. Also when under the trans, there is likely KM210 written on the bellhousing at its lowest point.

Yes, I am using a 92 GVR4 AC tensioner assembly complete with the pulley. Mine was missing as the PO did not reinstall after his work to install belts and or the GVR4 intercooler.

If the car has original trans mounts from the C53a setup, you will not have to modify anything. If only the motor is being installed, nothing changes - the 1.6 and 2.0 block likely have the bolt holes and mount heights identical in relation to one another for installing the timing side mount. Deck height is taller on the 2.0 but this does not reflect any change when swapping these motors.
You can use a KM210 (F5M31) or a FWD 90 or 91-92.5 DSM (F5M33) and the stock turbo mounts will work 100%. Also good to know, is that the turbo half shaft with matching C53A left/right axles should drop right in, when choosing the DSM trans option.

If you are keeping the balance shaft intact, then I suggest installing a new belt and pulley if it exhibits any unusual noise, tension or play. Best to replace with a Koyo/GMB, whichever show's up on RTMRacings website. They carry OEM parts and have the exact part showing on their site from my experience. Might be available locally. Choose is yours. Once you get the belt on, you tension it while rotating the eccentric on the pulley, locking down the bolt to keep it from backing off. Then pushing with a finger from the top, check for 5-7mm of movement. I did this just last week. If you want look off the balance shafts, you can use the front case/oil pump from the 1.6L, as the parts required to block off the 2.0 front case are from the 1.6L. Also you would have to rotate the balance shafts bearings and do something with the balance shafts, if you perform the delete. Keep the balance shaft setup and worry less, and save money.

Phew, I think that answers most of it. :supz: