4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:07 am 
CSM Junkie

I haven't really looked into my issue more, but it seems to have developed another issue.

After the car does not fire on the first try (sometimes it does) I sit and wait to hear the fuel fill the fuel rail. You can hear the fuel pump (Walboro 255) tone change when it's fully pressurized. I still get the tick-tick-tick, but now when it does fire it turns over a few times and starts rough like it's flooded. After a second or two it clears up and runs fine, but I get a strong smell of fuel on first start.

But once again, this is not a constant issue, but more intermittent. I'll take a look at my relays as well, as I know someone had a big stereo in this car at one time. I'd be interested in the solenoid as well since the issue has always gotten better with a starter change. (3 of them) The arcing or corrosion sounds plausible. Maybe I'll actually spend some time this weekend in the garage and try to figure this crap out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

I'm going to keep testing, but I wiggled my key in the ignition when it wouldn't start, and it started on the next turn. Possible the switch is just worn. Hope it's as simple as that, but not likely. I'll keep trying this to see if it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:45 pm 

Don't know if this helps but I just got a 89 colt and someone bypassed the ignition
Switch with a push start. You still use a key and it makes the click then you push the button and starts right up. It's spliced into the wires that go to the relay box behind
The radio. My relay,was messing up today can't find one at a parts store around hear roll started it and when I got home it starts right up lol
But this is the second colt I seen with the push start so maybe it might work for you guys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

So this weekend I finally got off my ass and swapped starters on the car. I just put in a used Mitsu unit I had laying around. I made sure to bench test it before I put it in to make sure it worked okay. After I installed it, I had to run off and didn't think anything of the car until Sunday night. I went to start the car and got the same "click click click" no start. I was in a hurry so I rolled the car down the drive way to bump start it, and I couldn't even get it to start that way.

Today, I pulled the starter and check everything I could think of. I tested to make sure it spins and turns over okay. I bypassed the ignition system and tried to start it straight from the battery. Everything checks out until I put it back in the car. As soon as it's in the car, it won't turn over. I tried all the troubleshooting things above while it's in the car, and I can hear it turn, but it won't engage the flywheel. I've also tried bump starting it and it won't even run like that. WTF?

I'm so frustrated right now. How can something that seems so simple be such a PITA? When I first got this issue with the car, I thought maybe the starter just wasn't engaging the flywheel, so I would bump the car to try and get the starter to catch. This never actually helped. Sometimes the car starts on the first try, many times it won't start until after 10 tries. I'm at a loss. I'll swap back to the last starter I had in since I know it works when it finally decides to start. Anyone else have any more ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm 
Some call me a god

I took an ignition switch/harness from the junkyard last week to try and see if that is the problem but i havent gotten around to installing it yet.

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:16 am 
Restricted Newbie

Pare kumusta? Happened to me once. Mechanic just installed a separate relay. Problem went away. Madalas mangyari dito yan pre.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

Must have been a bad starter this time. Swapped in the last know good starter and it fired right up. I'll chime back in when it starts its random-no-start crap again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 pm 
Some call me a god

I finally fixed mine!
Here's some back story: I've had the clicky starter issue for years, and it had been getting really bad in recent weeks. I had assembled several good starters from my parts bin, and even put a new solenoid in a few months ago that didn't help either. I could hear the solenoid click, but the starter motor wouldn't turn, so I couldn't wrap my head around the possibility that the problem was between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. I could hear the solenoid click, so I figured it must be doing it's part. I had new battery cables, ground straps, a good set of brushes, strong battery. Nothing helped, the problem just kept getting worse.

About four days ago I put the car on the lift, and noticed that it cranked every time I jumpered the starter with a screwdriver; it almost never worked with the key at that point. As a test, I installed a temporary relay right by the starter as sort of an "electronic screwdriver". So far it has never missed a single start! YAY!!!. If there's a relay under the dash, I believe it to be the culprit. The Ignition switch, (or original relay whichever the case may be) sends enough current to trigger my temporary relay every time, but apparently not enough to trigger the starter properly.

All it took was this simple mod like Yam Yam said:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I vaguely remember someone talked about some screws loose or a bad solder joint in the ignition switch area, but it had to be removed to access that area.
This is again a vague memory, and has no doubt long since been lost in back posts over three to five years ago. I bet the ignition switch has an issue much like the
terminals for the turn signals that sometimes give people issues. Most ignition switches go bad from piggybacking an aftermarket radio installation, so this is a little different.
If I wasn't going to bed in a minute, I would stare at the factory manuals to see what happens when the key cranks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I vaguely remember someone talked about some screws loose or a bad solder joint in the ignition switch area, but it had to be removed to access that area.
This is again a vague memory, and has no doubt long since been lost in back posts over three to five years ago. I bet the ignition switch has an issue much like the
terminals for the turn signals that sometimes give people issues. Most ignition switches go bad from piggybacking an aftermarket radio installation, so this is a little different.
If I wasn't going to bed in a minute, I would stare at the factory manuals to see what happens when the key cranks.
I found it, and there's indeed a relay:

I'm going to look for mine behind the radio, and see if replacing that solves the issue without using the temporary relay. It still starts absolutely every time though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 pm 
Some call me a god

I found the starter relay on the left behind the ashtray, and it wasn't the problem. I have good current on the red wire from the ignition switch, and good current coming out of the relay to the black and yellow. I'm suspecting the black and yellow wire is failing between the relay and the starter...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:31 pm 
Some call me a god

That temporary relay is looking more and more permanent. The black and yellow wire at the starter only displays a .4v drop below battery voltage when it's hooked up to a 55W halogen bulb instead of the starter solenoid. It also makes the bulb blindingly bright. For some reason it just can't reliably trigger the starter solenoid. Perhaps the factory wire is too thin? :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:17 pm 
Some call me a god

Anyone else have any updates on this? I have had the same issue for a couple years and even after my recent motor swap using a different starter and brand new battery it still clicks but doesn't turn, about 1 of 5 times it'll start. I was really hoping it was the relay, I'll be replacing it anyway to see if it helps any as well as looking over all the related wires.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 pm 
Some call me a god

I tried to fix mine the right way, and got nowhere. I tried everything short of replacing the wiring with thicker gauge. The relay by the ash tray clicks every time, and there really isn't a big voltage drop by the time the power hits the "S" terminal on the starter. However for some mysterious reason it won't do much besides click the starter solenoid.

My temporary relay is now my permanent relay. I have not had one single starting issue since I started using that setup.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:19 pm 
Some call me a god

Alrighty then.

07 ZX6R