4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 

Thanks to Turbocan for pointing out the killer deal on the 16g's at DSM-Performance, it looks like I will be going with one of those if they have any left and are a bolt on deal.

They don't have the compressor housing so I will be using the one off of my 14b. I've never had a turbo apart before and am wondering if it's a fairly simple deal to pull the 14b apart and put the housing on the 16g. Is there anything I should check for or replace on the 14b housing before assembling it w/the 16g? Basically, does anything "wear out" on the compressor housings?

How about the oil and coolant lines? Do they match up with the 14b lines?

Air inlet and outlet? Do they line up as well and are they the same size? I'm hoping I can get the 16g, bolt it on in one day and go and not have to modify [b:1323qc12]ANYTHING[/b:1323qc12].

Member #1

Post subject:

First off, they come w/out EXHAUST housings.. you don't need your compressor housing, only your exhaust housing.

The housings bolt on and off no problem. Just use your head and keep track of how things come out. Personally on harder projects (like transmission rebuilds) I use my camcorder and videotape things as I'm dissasembling them. College and illegal substances have screwed up my memory it seems :smile:

14B and 16G are identicle on the outside... that means 02 housing bolts up, IC pipes bolt up, oil and waterlines both bolt up directly.

1989 Mitsubishi Mirage 4G61 Turbo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boostd4 on 2001-11-04 16:37 ]</font>

Post subject:
Some call me a god

how much boost can the stock pistons withstand b4 they give in, or is it detonation that is the killer factor?

anyone know when its a good idea to look into forged pistons?

Post subject:
[quote:xpzedey4]
On 2001-11-04 21:34, drcolt2000 wrote:
how much boost can the stock pistons withstand b4 they give in, or is it detonation that is the killer factor?
[/quote:xpzedey4]

Detonation will kill any pistons. It also kills rods, rod bearings and head gaskets.

I know the stock pistons have been run at 22 PSI by more than one person. I will be building my 2.0 over the winter, once it is finished I will work on finding the upper limits of the stock 1.6 bottom end. It may not be pretty (Picture Rob with a crowbar removing his crank from the track) but valuable research never is :grin:

Post subject:

[quote:24q2ql81]
On 2001-11-04 16:37, boostd4 wrote:
First off, they come w/out EXHAUST housings.. you don't need your compressor housing, only your exhaust housing.[/quote:24q2ql81]

Yep. I called this morning and they have something like a dozen or so left. I'm going to yank out the 14b tonight and pull it apart to inspect the exhaust housing to see if it looks reusable. If it is, I am going to order one tomorrow.

[quote:24q2ql81]The housings bolt on and off no problem. Just use your head and keep track of how things come out. Personally on harder projects (like transmission rebuilds) I use my camcorder and videotape things as I'm dissasembling them. College and illegal substances have screwed up my memory it seems :smile:[/quote:24q2ql81]

Good idea regarding the camcorder. Too bad I don't have one. :sad: But in this case, it doesn't sound to difficult so I should be alright.

[quote:24q2ql81]14B and 16G are identicle on the outside... that means 02 housing bolts up, IC pipes bolt up, oil and waterlines both bolt up directly.[/quote:24q2ql81]

I'm going to hold you to that! :grin: I had enough trouble getting the 14b on there regarding the lower coolant line (ended up drilling out the 11b banjo fitting) and the turbo outlet elbow (cut the stock one, rotated it around and welded it). Too bad I bought TEL parts first thinking I could actually use them. Now they are just mangled from me trying to get them to work and giving up.

Member #1

Post subject:
If you got the 14B on there, the 16G will drop right on. It's truly a bolt for bolt swap with the 14B (kinda like dropping in a 2.0 but less bolts)

Post subject:

someone want to clue me in on the 16g deal???

Post subject:

[quote:c9kbdwzd]
On 2001-11-05 19:55, texmirage wrote:
someone want to clue me in on the 16g deal???
[/quote:c9kbdwzd]I'd be glad to. Just don't go buy the last one out from under me. :smile:

DSM-Performance(.com) is selling brand new OEM small 16g's w/o the exhaust turbine housing for $400.

For a comparison, TeamRIP(.com) sells his small 16g's w/housing and a little porting for $625. Not sure if those are brand new, but the ones in the pictures sure look like it.

Member #1

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I think there might be some confusion on my part. it says on DSM-performance.com that they sell you the new OEM 16G turbo unit without the exhaust housing, but they do include the compressor housing. but couldnt you just buy the center cartridge by itself & use your old compressor (unless the compressor housings have some tendancy to wear out are better new) & exhaust housings off the 14b? teamrip.com advertises a new OEM 16G center cartridge for $385 (big 16G $450) & from what I've read this price looks to includes you sending your old unit, bead blasting both housings clean, he puts it together, gives you copper crush washers, an oil return gasket for free & "offers" the other stuff he can do to it for extra$$$. that seems fair, if this is the case. afterall the guy does have extensive knowlege on our cars. :smile:

-vic

92 talon awd turbo (winter)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MIRAGEDOHCTURBO on 2001-11-09 07:04 ]</font>

Post subject:
[quote:1glpwozk]
On 2001-11-09 06:49, MIRAGEDOHCTURBO wrote:
couldnt you just buy the center cartridge by itself & use your old compressor
[/quote:1glpwozk]

The 16G compressor wheel is bigger. It won't fit in the 14B housing