4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Colorado emissions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:56 am 

Anyone in Colo had a Boulder county or Denver metro emissions test on a 4G63T swapped 91 Colt GL? I'm concerned about the visual inspection more than the tailpipe test. Is it likely that it'll be rejected out of hand because of the visual differences, valve cover, turbo, etc. or does it tend to just slide through with the EGR & cat?
I'd like to be as prepared as possible before I go in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:22 am 

I have and had no problem even with no egr or any type off emissions controls passed with flying colors .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:38 am 

Good to hear! I'll get a high flow cat and see how it goes.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You have to purchase a 3 way catalytic converter, MUST, regardless of the air provision snorkel or not (it can remain capped and will just not be in use - it's redundant on our cars but was used on other designs to intake air from a pump).

It serves little to no purpose to delete the emissions stuff, but will most likely make you fail if none is hooked up.

Check out my emissions thread in the archives - http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=17247

If your EGR works, your plugs and wires are up to snuff and timing is set properly, a hot engine and exhaust should get you through with good numbers. If they balk at the engine under the hood, maybe they have a hot rod clause like our Ontario emissions does, which allows motor that are swapped and not the original to be tested, to whichever standard they feel is appropriate.
I can't speak for Colorado emissions inspectors, as I'm from another country. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:21 pm 

I have an EGR. Might be working. Low mileage plugs & wires. Will get the 3-way cat. I noticed that in another emissions-related post but hadn't seen anything Colorado-specific.

But the boost's at 14, according to the aftermarket gauge. Is that a potential problem?

Seems to burn clean, no unusual smells, no sign of smoke on accceleration, deceleration, or start up. Good gas mileage, 29 to 32mpg.

Colorado does have a hot rod clause. Here it's called "home built". but I'm really hoping to skate around it. If it gets through the visual and I'm not questioned on the obvious swap, and gets the numbers right...WAHOO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:27 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
But the boost's at 14, according to the aftermarket gauge. Is that a potential problem?
Here in California, having a boost controller is considered an illegal emissions mod. I don't know what the rule is in Colorado though. It's not like they're gonna throw your car on the dyno and do WOT pulls though...

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Colorado emissions aren't that hard to get through, the people who inspect it just look at the sticker under your hood and then look at the motor to see if it has to specified emissions controls. My old roommate used to manage one of the emission places and told me they had about an hour class on identifying engine parts. On my 89 Mirage all they had to check for was; "Catalytic converter, Fuel filler restrictor, Oxygen Sensor, and check engine light." I'm guessing a 91 Colt has the same emission regulations on it, so as long as you have all those parts connected to the motor and working they wont even notice a swapped motor... I don't believe they're even required to check the ERG system on these vehicles.

If you do run into a problem though you are able to take the car in and get a form that allows the engine swap, I have to do this with my truck on monday so I can have the form name and info on getting it then... But I don't think you need to worry about that. As long as the motor runs clean you should have no problems.

Hope I was able to ease your mind and good luck.

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:11 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Just to cure curiousity for curiousities sake, you can check the EGR yourself. If you have a vacuum pump, you can apply vacuum to the EGR nipple, the one that bleeds down or the one that holds, I can't remember but when the EGR kicks in, it will bog the motor. If you apply up to about 15" of vacuum (MAX to be safe), it should all but, or completely stall out the motor at idle. This confirms that the EGR is actually functional, as long as it is being controlled properly is another matter. If you have no vacuum leaks on the hoses, and the solenoid is working, your system is most likely working fine and won't be a hassle.
If you don't have a vacuum pump, you can manually manipulate the EGR diaphragm by using a flat blade screw driver and simply push on the diaphragm while the engine is idling. You should be applying EGR vacuum just as if the system was being commanded, and the motor should bog down accordingly. This is the most common test they do when checking older style EGR systems for function. They may not go this far in your test, and if it is simply a visual (which our province has all but dropped, except catalytic provisions) test, you are fine then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm 

I'm worried about this myself as I live in PA and they are really strict on emissions. I've had cars that have never passed no matter how much work you do to them. If you take it to a dealership they will issue you a waiver but ONLY if you spend more than $150 to try to get it to pass. The thing about PA is they go year by year with window stickers and my buddy who owns a gas station told me that if the engine is anything other than original, it will not pass visual inspection. How does the 4G61t compare to the 4G15 on emissions output? It can't be THAT much different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:41 pm 

PASSED!

Got the cat on and took it in today. They scanned the VIN in and a 1.5L showed up on the screen. Then they popped the hood, looked at this and that, didn't say anything about the big DOHC 2000 on the valve cover or the turbo, did the tailpipe test and it went OK. Good numbers, passed everything with lots of room to spare.

Since the computer thought it was an NA 1.5, I'm sure that the limits for that engine were the ones that were used and the 4G63T was clean enough for that. I'd think that a 61T with proper equipment would do all right as well. Good luck with the PA test.

Thanks all for the info and reassurances!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 am 
The Silent Administrator

I bet the 1.5L NA emissions would have been even worse out the tailpipe depending upon the level of cylinder sealing or oil consumption the motor exhibits. Mine were always just on the line, so maybe the numbers were tightened as they had been mentioning over the years now. The system started out more leanient during its inception, and then got more strict, but 99% of cars should pass without batting an eyelash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:27 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Glad to hear everything went well for you, I didn't think you'd have any problems since the visual emission controls are the same... If only I could have your swapped motor luck with my 240sx, had her for a year and still can't get her to pass the visual.

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:19 am 

See I wouldn't know how the 1.5 passes here in PA because I was always under 5000 miles which makes it exempt. The car never ran long enough to put more than that on it each year.

Post subject: Re: Colorado emissions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm glad I found this thread, so now i can feel more comfortable when it's my time. Any recommendations to a specific catalytic converter that i should get??

Post subject: Re: Colorado emissions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:51 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Anyone that is a 3 way, works properly, and is nice and hot when it enters the building.

3" systems can cool down considerably even when set idling, or during very cold weather.

Bring it in hot.

Don't have to worry where your boost is set.
Don't have to worry if you have EGR or not - likely.
Don't have to worry about the gas you run, as long it is fresh.

If car is tuned-up, with a fresh catalytic and a proper idle/tune, then you should be good to go.

My idle was so bad before that it used to pile up with HC's, really bad. I watched it on the graph as it plotted.
Also, unless the catalytic is up to temp, you won't believe how high the emissions are. 8) That, I can also attest to.

If you have a wonky idle, and no way to tune it out, I suggest this: Ask the tech very nicely to keep your idle at 1000 RPM's with his foot, or tape the throttle plate stopper to keep it popped open ever so slightly to keep it around 1000RPM. Takes the ISC out of the equation. Our tests here have a window for idle speed (500-1200 RPM) Hope you tester is much the same. :supz: