4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 

Well, I'm in sort of in a dilemma here. I bought my Colt back in June thinking it would make a good daily driver that was cheap (or so I thought), easily upgradeable, quick and fun to drive. I've literally spent thousands on routine maintenace items to make the car a dependable driver I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere, all while having the usual 1g TEL goodies sitting on the shelf waiting to go on once I know the car is running in top shape.

I have now installed the 1g TEL goodies only to find the 14b has had it and is not creating any boost.

Ok, i'll throw the stock turbo (which btw, was rebuilt/remanufactured at some point) back on while I figure out what I want to do. In an attempt to store the stock turbo properly for the next week or so till I put it back on, I filled it with oil. Only to come back eight hours later and find it leaking out. First it was coming out the compressor outlet, then I leaned it another direction and it started coming out the O2 housing.

So. What now? I don't want to buy another used 14b 'in hopes' of getting a good one this time. I want something I know will work.

Should I have the 14b rebuilt? If so, where should I have this done?

How about getting a small 16g from Team RIP? Or is that too much for a 1.6? If I was to go w/the 16g, I'd start planning on a 4g63 swap in the future. Kinda ass backwards, turbo first, then engine, but I'm not very smart.

To make things worse, I wanted to have the car done in time to dyno it November 17. So much for that idea. :sad:

Anyway, thanks goes to whoever actually has read this far and any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Member #1

Post subject:
You said two key things here. Daily Driver and the 2.0 swap. With those being your intentions, I would go ahead and do it right the first time around. Spend the money on the 16G. It will probably be a little laggy on the 1.6L, but then you wouldn't have to spend more for one when you get the larger engine. If you can be patient, I believe that some of the stores will run specials on the small 16G for around $500. Especially since it's near christmas time.

Post subject:
Dsm-Performance has 16Gs without the exhaust housing for $400 and the Big 16G for $490. I'd grab one of those and use the exhaust housing off the 14B since you already have the other stuff

Shouldn't this be in the tech section?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turbocan on 2001-11-04 11:05 ]</font>

Post subject:

[quote:11aje87t]
On 2001-11-04 10:49, Turbocan wrote:
Dsm-Performance has 16Gs without the exhaust housing for $400 and the Big 16G for $490. I'd grab one of those and use the exhaust housing off the 14B since you already have the other stuff
[/quote:11aje87t]

Wow, thanks! It was looking like I was going to order a small 16g from TeamRIP, but am now going with DSM-Performance for that price. That's going to work out great.

[quote:11aje87t]
Shouldn't this be in the tech section?
[/quote:11aje87t]

Sort of. I was just wanting to get some general opinions on what I should do for my project. I do have a couple of questions regarding the difference between the 14b and 16g which I will post in the tech section.

Member #1

Post subject:
Some call me a god

arent the 14b s a dime a dozen?
cant you rebuild it yourself?
Its more fun that way, and you can say you did it yourself :wink:

but then again, if you have a slight hesitation to upgrade to the 4g63, you most likely will upgrade, so may as well go with the 16g,
as for turbo lag, why not try a a force fed turbo setup , (ie. 13g feeding into a 16g)
just kiddin', but that would be interesting to see again.