4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:38 am 
Offline
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 360
Location: Duluth, MN
Ok so would using the Elantra lower control arms and GVR4 spindles make it easier to use the DSM equal length axle setup? Would you still need to do something about the hub grease seal size being different? I know that the Elantra control arms give the car a wider stance than stock ones (im running this right now) but as I stand I have one peice axles for both sides with no issues with them popping out at all. I want to upgrade them to the equal length setup and my thought is that the DSM axle setup would be perfect in length other than the hub/spindle seals being different sizes. Your thoughts would be welcome.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:26 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:21 pm
Posts: 29
Location: newark ohio
Ok so I read through and got a little information but it is still a little foggy to me. Im running a fwd dsm trans and want to know what driver side axle to run, keeping in mind that i want to keep my original hubs and everything. I would also like to stay a 1 piece if possible. I saw that someone was running both dsm axles. If this is possible it would be ideal but havent heard from anyone else if this is for sure possible


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:54 pm 
Offline
The happy administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:20 pm
Posts: 5583
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Ok so I read through and got a little information but it is still a little foggy to me. Im running a fwd dsm trans and want to know what driver side axle to run, keeping in mind that i want to keep my original hubs and everything. I would also like to stay a 1 piece if possible. I saw that someone was running both dsm axles. If this is possible it would be ideal but havent heard from anyone else if this is for sure possible

You want to use the halfshaft from a turbo mirage (rare) or the dsm halfshaft, then you need to use the turbo mirage axle. You'll want to stay away from using a 1 piece on the drivers side, it gives you unequal length axles which can amplify the torque steer you already get from shoving 220hp through the front wheels. Using the part numbers in this thread, get the correct axles and you'll be able to use all your original hubs/etc. The only downside is that they are getting harder to find (and possibly getting the wrong axles) from various places. Once you get the correct turbo mirage axles, you won't need to worry about goofy angles and seals.

_________________
Had a:
1991 Eagle Summit ES Hatchback - 4g15 12v 5spd
1991 Dodge Colt -4g15 12v 4spd
Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
Offline
The happy administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:20 pm
Posts: 5583
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Ok so would using the Elantra lower control arms and GVR4 spindles make it easier to use the DSM equal length axle setup? Would you still need to do something about the hub grease seal size being different? I know that the Elantra control arms give the car a wider stance than stock ones (im running this right now) but as I stand I have one peice axles for both sides with no issues with them popping out at all. I want to upgrade them to the equal length setup and my thought is that the DSM axle setup would be perfect in length other than the hub/spindle seals being different sizes. Your thoughts would be welcome.
It's possible, the elantra's push out the bottom and the gvr4 parts push out the top. Try it and tell us how it turns out!

_________________
Had a:
1991 Eagle Summit ES Hatchback - 4g15 12v 5spd
1991 Dodge Colt -4g15 12v 4spd
Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:00 am 
Offline
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:53 am
Posts: 360
Location: Duluth, MN
Working on getting some parts to try it out here. I will take some pics and hopefully get them loaded up before the years out. Thanks for the support! :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:28 pm 
Offline
Some call me a god
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: Stuarts Draft,VA
Well I need a set of axles to put in my summit and I was gonna buy some used axles but everyone wants insane prices for USED shit. So I searched napas site and found out some interesting info ( I purchased some through carquest once before but thats a 45 min ride away). Here is the listing for the axles for the 89 turbos http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul ... tk=Keyword.

Right off hand it looks like that they can get the correct drivers axle by the image for it http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... cType%3aA).

They offer the passenger axle in three different sizes and I am unsure of which one I need http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... mpare.aspx?

I am thinking it is this one judging by the inner cv cup http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... cType%3aA).

I think the pricing is awesome as well, and i got a buddy at the local toyota parts department that can get me an even better price with his discount! I plan on ordering these this friday and I will let everyone know when they arrive and post the part numbers accordingly.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:56 pm 
Offline
Some call me a god
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: Seattle, WA
Ill just add to this, I ordered a driver side axle from NAPA a couple weeks ago, it was a "long" style.. that seemed to replace the intermediate shaft? I'm returning it today and will try autozone next.

_________________
89 Mirage Billet 20g 63t 12.4@120 417whp 400wtq @ English Racing.
89 Colt GT E316g
06 Silverado SS
07 ZX6R


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:22 pm 
Offline
Some call me a god
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: Stuarts Draft,VA
Quote:
Ill just add to this, I ordered a driver side axle from NAPA a couple weeks ago, it was a "long" style.. that seemed to replace the intermediate shaft? I'm returning it today and will try autozone next.
It would be more helpful if you posted the part number, to see if the product image matches the part numbers in the links I listed.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 am 
Offline
CSM Junkie

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:55 am
Posts: 803
Location: Cultus Lake, B.C, Canada
I dont even know why those long axles are coming listed as a application for a 89 turbo colt. AFAIK even the 89 g32b turbo 2G colts had the same style short left side axle as the 4g61t 3G CSM's. All the ones in the junk yards that i have seen have been anyways. I have been running g32b axles in my 4g61t colt now for the last two years and have put around 40 000 km's on them with NO issues. (cuz they are the same axles lol)


somehow N/A 4g15 axles are getting mixed in and misslabeled as turbo axles.

_________________
-1989 Colt GT (stock for now)
-1993 Dodge colt 4g63 swap
-1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo GSR (genuine)
-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 pm 
Offline
Some call me a god
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: Stuarts Draft,VA
Ah ha! Just checked the part number on the drivers side axle for the 87 turbo 2nd gens, I did from people confirming them to be the same part and low and behold the part numbers are identical between the 2nd and third gen colt/mirages.

2nd gen - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... cType%3aA)#

3rd gen - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... cType%3aA)#


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10 pm 
Offline
The Silent Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:32 pm
Posts: 9357
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Quote:
I dont even know why those long axles are coming listed as a application for a 89 turbo colt. AFAIK even the 89 g32b turbo 2G colts had the same style short left side axle as the 4g61t 3G CSM's. All the ones in the junk yards that i have seen have been anyways. I have been running g32b axles in my 4g61t colt now for the last two years and have put around 40 000 km's on them with NO issues. (cuz they are the same axles lol)


somehow N/A 4g15 axles are getting mixed in and misslabeled as turbo axles.
When people bring in their axles for warranty, they bring in 4g15 axles in place of possible good 4g61t units. Or, when purchasing they bring in 4g15 cores in place of genuine 4g61t units. Now any company worth their salt should be checking all dimensions of the units they are using, putting together, etc, but the only true checksum is the people picking up the axles to use at the consumer level.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:15 pm 
Offline
The happy administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:20 pm
Posts: 5583
Location: Wisconsin
I'm guilty of that. :oops:

_________________
Had a:
1991 Eagle Summit ES Hatchback - 4g15 12v 5spd
1991 Dodge Colt -4g15 12v 4spd
Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:06 pm 
Offline
Some call me a god
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:34 am
Posts: 2747
Location: Cincy House of Fast
Me too. They should be checking that stuff.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:22 am 
Offline
Some call me a god
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: Seattle, WA
I have seen this noted on here before but in NAPAs system they do not have the correct driver side axle listed under 89', it is listed as 88'.

Sorry, was to lazy to get part numbers :P but NAPA is 88' for our original turbo cars.

_________________
89 Mirage Billet 20g 63t 12.4@120 417whp 400wtq @ English Racing.
89 Colt GT E316g
06 Silverado SS
07 ZX6R


Last edited by xxNocturnalxx on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:41 am 
Offline
Some call me a god

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:03 pm
Posts: 1134
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Quote:
Ah ha! Just checked the part number on the drivers side axle for the 87 turbo 2nd gens, I did from people confirming them to be the same part and low and behold the part numbers are identical between the 2nd and third gen colt/mirages.

2nd gen - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... cType%3aA)#

3rd gen - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... cType%3aA)#
Just to be clear the intermediate shaft are different between the 2nd and 3rd Gen colts. Its the divers half shaft and passenger axles that are the same. :rolleyes:

_________________
05 wrx wagon
99 Benz ML 320
91 eagle summit swapped - 6/4 bolt combo
94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next

All times are UTC-05:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited