4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 712 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:43 pm 
The happy administrator

I must have been really lucky to get the correct+thick axles the first time around!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 pm 
CSM Expert

I have the driver side "thin" 1.6L carquest axle and I've had the same one since 2004. No issues at all.

The boot on the damn passenger side though either slips off the cup or the metal band breaks within a few hundred miles. I've been through probably a dozen passenger side axles. Boot slips off, I return it to carquest for a new one. I have a few in rotation so I'm never stuck without a fresh one.

Anyone know WHY this happens?

I have not tried using OEM green cupped axles yet. I have a set that I need to ship to raxles.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:15 pm 
Some call me a god

Axle problems set me back a year......thinking about it makes me want a beer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:25 pm 
CSM Expert

lol a year! I couldn't imaging being down more than a week. Drives me nuts staring at unfinished projects.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:58 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
lol a year! I couldn't imaging being down more than a week. Drives me nuts staring at unfinished projects.
Uh, yeah... Nuts is an understatement. I'm gonna turn into the hulk in a minute.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:05 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Yeah, man.....I learned a lot about patience. I didn't have a choice. No one here will ever explain why I had to use an AWD dsm axle on my turbo Mirage to make it work. Hundreds of dollars and three or four axles later, I finally got one to work in late January this year. Working on the car all summer had exhausted me, and I had to stop working on the car when snowflakes fell. fruit and banana sucked....I drove by it in a tractor, all winter long, wondering every day how I was going to fix the problem or if it would ever be fixed.

So yeah....I pretty much spent the first year only working on it and spending thousands, and wondering what the car would be like....some day. Now, that is nuts. I was really stressful trying to do all that crap on a farmer's schedule.

TAKE NOTE: You cannot use a DSM cv-axle in a CSM....and everyone here will tell you that, and swear by it up and down. However, I did, and it worked perfect....but I don't think anyone will ever be so *un*lucky as me.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Carquest ordered me two more 3229s, and they came in today. They were both the correct 21.5" length :D !

I pulled one out of the box and proclaimed' "It's beautiful!" I felt like a new father :P. He accepted my core and everything. (If one of you end up with a Buick axle, Sorry, that was me.) LOL

All this down time gave me a chance to upgrade my intake system from a 1g to a 2g MAF, and from a Chinese G-reddy type S to a stock 1g BOV, so it's a good thing they have a spare axle in stock for me.

My advise to anyone ordering axles: See if you can get the parts store to order multiple axles, because there's a high likelyhood they will all be different.

Edit: I just looked at my Carquest recipt, and it says RDS 410059, and it fits the left front perfectly. The only difference is that it has a different style inner joint (it's the kind with the three wheels inside instead of the six balls). The shaft itself has a sticker on it that says CVC2077 :huh: ?

Last edited by Coltsfan on Fri May 15, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:31 pm 
CSM Expert

they got mad at me oce cause they ordered every one in the system for me and they were all the 1.5l axles. i told them it was wrong and they shrugged and said oh well. this was probably back in 2002

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 pm 
The happy administrator

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/c ... 66998&sv=0

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:38 pm 
Some call me a god

Well I've been having a little trouble finding the correct axle since braking my drivers side intermediate shaft last friday at the track. I wheel hopped pretty bad and snapped it off at the hub. So I went and ordered two different axles through advanced and both were wrong, for some odd reason they dont list the GT's in 89 but 90! I just got off the phone with Carquest (which is 30 miles away in a different city) and gave them the RDS 3229 part number and they have since discontinued the use of that manufacturer and they cross referenced it with the new supplier's number 410059. The axle will be in thursday and I'll let everyone know if it indeed it is the right axle.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:07 pm 
The happy administrator

Quote:
gave them the RDS 3229 part number and they have since discontinued the use of that manufacturer and they cross referenced it with the new supplier's number 410059.

Uh oh. Could go either way, they could start selling the right axle every time or we could all end up using long 1 piece axles.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 am 
Some call me a god

My Carquest guy got two of the 410059 axles in for me, and they were nice. Both were the short style ones, and decent thickness too.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 pm 
Some call me a god

It's confirmed that the 410059 axle is the right axle, though as stated by Lilevo they are indeed a little thinner than the OEM units. It came out to be around 73.00 dollars with a core exchange.

edit: they come with a 3yr/32,000 mile warranty.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:30 pm 
CSM Expert

Oh NO! No more lifetime exchange?!?!?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:07 am 
CSM Junkie

Interresting Fact:

Colt/Summit Wagon 2.4 Manual have bigger axles with bigger heads on the wheel side. The RH side has approximately the same length as our shafts. It uses a tripod with a male connection.

Hypothesis
I am prettey sure we could use this RH summit wagon shaft as a direct replacement for the RH side on our cars. The only difference is that we would end up with a inner side tripod style shaft instead of the original ball and cage style. But if mitsu used a tripod on the left side, I wonder why we could not do the same for the RH side...

Since Turbo CSM LH and RH shafts are almost equal length, I will try to swap a LH Colt turbo tripod casing (female) on that wagon shaft tripod and see what it gives on the LH side....

They are really bigger! Probably .200 on the diameter. Ill take photos and measurements tonight.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 712 Next