4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

I don't know how many out there have done a 6 bolt/f5m33 swap into a 93 colt, but let me tell you it sucks. So far i have needed to convert the cable clutch to hydro using a set of dsm pedals, i had to hack out a large chunk of the main cradle so the front diff part of the tranny has a place to live, i was able to use turbo colt/dsm axles i dont know what went where i suspect turbo colt on driver side dsm on pass side cause i had to change the end that goes into pass side to fit the colt hub.
I had a turbo colt timing mount which works well, tranny mount is easy just drill new holes. But i am probably going to fab up an entirely new crossmember because mine not only sits up too high, where the tranny needs to sit, but it also would be hugely beneficial if it was a few inches closer to the drivers side.
A helluva lot more work than a third gen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 am 
CSM Junkie

is this a f5m33 from a 2G dsm or a 1G dsm?

i am about to put the 2G fwd turbo trans into my 4th gen colt in the next few months. I never realized that there was clearance issues using it. And DSM FWD axles should work fine, also awd one too i think.

Maybe your clearance issues are stemming from you using a 3G turbo colt timing belt side mount. THey wont fit with a 6 bolt and a 4G colt chassis. You have to either use the evo t-belt side mount or custom fab up one using a dsm mount and a 4g 1.5L csm mount.

so the 4G colt 1.5l crossmember that goes under the trans will not work with a f5m33 from a 2G??? that sucks!! ill have to make it work!!

ill update this thread again when i get it all installed or at least attempt to.

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

I'm using a early 1g trans with awd 5th gear and evo 3/4 fork and an lsd insert. I can 100 percent guarantee the 3g timing mount works perfect. My axles all worked out fine, perfectly centered and each have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play. Its sitting up high but not too high for the hood to fit. And also the socket hole for the main pulley lines up perfectly in the hole in the plastic shield. If it was lifted up any higher the hood would not fit/ tranny would hit the frame if it was lower the cv boots would hit. Axles are in a straight line from the tranny as well so there you go.

Even if i would have known i could have used a 2g trans and it would have been easier i still would have done it with a 1g, just cause i had it already.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:24 am 
CSM Junkie

yeah i had 2 1G FWD f5m33 trans.... i was going to go with those because of there availiblily and cheaper cost then a 2G trans, but in the end, i decided to wait and find a 2G trans due to the fact that it should bolt right up. had to pay a bit more for it... but its worth it now for the easier install.

Ill let you know how i do with the 2G fwd trans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm 

Mine dropped right in!! I used a 2g timing belt mount and isolator. On the trans side I used a 2g fwd trans with a 1g trans mount and the stock 4th gen frame mount. I used 93-94 fwd dsm axles, stock rear trans mount and cross member mount, 2g fwd trans mount and stock mirage cross member isolator. Everything bolted right in no problems to date. This swap was easier than my 3g hatch!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

Thanks for posting, now we know exactly what it takes. Mine was a pain in the ass, 3 custom mounts, all but the timing mount, and a notch in the subframe so the front diff clears it. Im almost done now. Its in and wired up and running. Just need to do my exhaust and some odds n ends. Even if i would have known it was easier to use a 2g trans i still would have used a 1g just because i have one, its about 6 hours work to do the modifications to the mounts and crossmember.

Its really interesting to hear that the 4g coupe uses a 2g transmission. I know evo 1-3 internals fit into a 1g trans. Does that mean that 1g and 2g transmissions share the same internals?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

yes 1g and 2g internals can be swapped over... and evo 1-3 internals as well for that matter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm 
Some call me a god

I've done several, both with all custom mounts- and a hybrid of stock junk.

Believe it or not-I prefer the Custom route as I can Taylor the engine position just as I want it- and making a custom cross member really helps with 4inch down pipe and 3 inch inter cooler piping fitment. :)

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well ive been hard at er for the last couple days finally got some time off after working the last month straight. Now i have so much bloody money i dont even care about these junk cars anymore. I want to buy an evo8 so bad... But my wife says okay i can get an evo8 but i have to sell ALL my dsms... F that!!! Ill just keep running junk!!!!
Anyways the car was drivable when i left off 2 months ago but it needed finishing. Tons of wiring rad fan, windshield wiper, etc. I had to adjust the clutch- i had it adjusted all the way, ran out of thread- still no good, so i made a new bracket, a longer one to attach the clutch slave to the pedal. That worked awesome. Not sure if its necessary to do this when installing dsm pedals in a colt but it works good so ill do it again if i ever have to.

WOW this might be the greatest machine that ive ever driven. It really sucks when your used to awd to have a fwd car... That might be the next job.. But everything else about this car is amazing. Its running only 8 psi (i used some random wastegate that was sitting around my shop, so less than factory boost. Its a monster though. The big thing is its so easy to drive in the city, the engine doesnt struggle at all to get going like it does in a 3100 awd talon. Its faster (from a roll) than an awd talon at 15 lbs of boost. Goddamn im in love with this thing...
The best part is i paid iirc 200 dollars for the car and the engine was free. I probably spent less than 1000 dollars on this car total. I dont know mostly just maintenance stuff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
I probably spent less than 1000 dollars on this car total. I dont know mostly just maintenance stuff
$2011 GRM Challenge?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:09 pm 
CSM Junkie

its about time i post some pics of the beast. I have been driving it lately so i am pretty stoked on it these days Note the stock exhaust, it will be staying on it too. Makes for a ridiculously quiet cruise on the highway. Where this car will be most of the time. When i want full power, i will open the cab controlled cutout. I also like the super sleeper look.Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm 
CSM Junkie

If you look closely you will see the boost guage duct taped to the column, this is probably temporary unfortunately. You can also see the ridiculously awful state the seats are in, the whole interior is just pooched. And there is a big dent in the driver door.

Here is another sick sleeper shot. Actually this build is so sleeper there is not one angle you can look at it to find any clues.

Until you pop the hood of course.

I do intend to fix the corner lens and front bumper asap, btw. I went to the cheap junkyard today to find out they crushed a LOT of parts i wanted. Ill have to go to the expensive junkyard now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

hahahhaha soo awesome.!

what are you running for a Intercooler? DSM sidemount?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:38 pm 
CSM Junkie

Stock dsm sidemount and all piping works great, easy install. I dont think its getting any air flow where it is, but still better than nothing. I will do a fmic eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:39 pm 
CSM Junkie

Damnit i cant stop playing with it now.

I installed a "go baby go" switch. AKA two stage boost controller. Junkyard style of course haha. A cheapo nitrous style switch, 15 dollar ebay boost controller and an air solenoid from a dsm. Not sure what the solenoid was intended for, but its located on the firewall by the brake booster. It works so when i supply power, it shuts off air and thus forces it through cheapo boost controller.

A super duper awesome mod that i cant believe i have lived without for so long. Its totally unnecessary, why would i ever want to run less than max boost? I dont know cause its just fun having a switch that i hit and bang theres 50 more hp! And with a fwd for a change, it makes sense.

I will install a homemade manual cab operated cutout this week and than thats it, i will focus all my efforts on the van build.

I will definately dyno this thing. Im excited i havent been able to dyno anything in years, all my vehicles are always awd. It should be neat to know what it does with

low boost cutout closed
low boost cutout open
high boost cutout closed
high boost cutout open