4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:57 pm 

I have a noise when I launch the car. After looking around I see that the driveshaft is hitting the floor. If I push on the shaft the rubber support for the carrier bearing allows the shaft to move far enough for the shaft to hit. The carrier bearings are the original ones from the 94 Eclipse. The original is available everywhere but i would bet the shaft will still hit the floor. The carrier bearing supports are sagging in my car so if I put new ones in the shaft will be closer to the car. Unless the rubber support on the new ones are much stronger than my whooped out 20 year old ones.

I see that Torque Solution makes a kit to replace the original with a non- rubber support style carrier bearing but I wonder if I will get vibrations at highway speeds. Is anybody using the Torque Solutions carrier bearing and if so how do they work? I like the idea of stabilizing the drive shaft but the originals were rubber for a reason, I would think. Here is a link to this product

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torque-Solution ... 2d&vxp=mtr

Here is another company who makes a solid replacement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSM-DRIVESHAFT- ... 8b&vxp=mtr

What are you guys using?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:29 pm 

I did this back in 05 when my 90 talon would slap the floor pan hard under launch... once done I could launch at 5800 and it never hit again... main thing is to make sure u have it resting on something to support the shaft and let the carrier sit natural that way the silicone gets evenly all the way around it..

go here... http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html at the top click on drivetrain...scroll down till u see the one that says.. Drive shaft Thump Fix with Pictures.

hope this helps.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 am 

Thank you very much. I just did the fix and will post results when it is done.
The link has a ton of info, I know what my reading list will consist of for the near future!!!!
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Have you filled the supports yet? If not, do that, it will limit the slack and movement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

I ordered new ones from Amazon. replaced u-joints at the same time. Less than $150 and you get a whole new driveshaft. Takes about 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:58 pm 

Quote:
I ordered new ones from Amazon. replaced u-joints at the same time. Less than $150 and you get a whole new driveshaft. Takes about 2 hours
I filled my carrier bearings and, now with the driveshaft installed, I can't push it far enough to hit the floor. My carrier bearings were cracked very badly. The silicone squished out multiple cracks in the rubber. I did see a crazy low price on 2 carrier bearings on Amazon. I will get them and get them ready for install before drag race season starts. I was thinking of bringing the new bearings to a local windshield place and have them filled with poly eurothane. I would think it would work just as good and last much longer.

Thanks slowdsm for the link!!!!!
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:29 am 

no problem man.. always here to help when I can.

Steve