4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Any auto AWD swaps here?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:13 pm 
Some call me a god

My car has been dormant for a long time and I've just slowly been collecting little things here and there. Well a dsm friend of mine got out of it all together for now and I was able to pickup a complete auto swap for an awesome price. I have been following auto stuff sense they started getting popular but am by far an expert on them.

I know there have been a few auto FWD swaps kicking around but I don't think I've seen an AWD auto CSM. Does anyone have information on what needs to be done on the transmission mount that bolts to the frame. They are different on DSM's so I am assuming something would have to be fabricated. Everything else should be pretty straight forward aside from possibly a small clearance issue on the transmission case and frame rail.

I'm also assuming the axles will have to be auto dsm axles. I'm most likely going to have the stock converter re-stalled before it goes in. Any info on TCU reflashing? I'd like to be able to just use the TCU and not get a ForceFour box but if that's the best route, I'll go that way.

I am still not sure what I want to do for a turbo setup but I think it will be something fairly small. 400hp through an auto, in a car this light will be a ton of fun for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:15 pm 
Some call me a god

Tonus' friend Dan is rocking AWD and auto. His is the red hatch. Pretty sure he is making a bit more than 400whp...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:25 pm 
Some call me a god

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27097

This guy.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 pm 
2nd Banana

Yes, Dan is running an AWD Auto setup. There are other guys on the forum in the past who have done it as well. Dan had some guys on the east coast flash his TCU, and that's all he's using. No shift box. He also has a different converter in it, but I'm not sure which one he's using. They're out of Illinois, whomever they are. It works well for him. He also sprays a bit if nitrous on it to get the car staged. The car probably makes about 600hp on race gas, and internally the trans is completely stock. Search around in DSMTuners and stuff, there is a TON of info about using the auto setup in DSM's, and it translates the same way to CSM's.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:22 pm 
CSM Junkie

Antilag_200 could probably help you out too. Warren has been running a high HP auto for a bit now and is a wealth of knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:20 pm 
Some call me a god

Get them in here! I'd like to have as much info on what I'm going to need before I start tearing into the swap and have to wait on parts.

I've been told the mirage axles should work and the intermediate shaft is the same on auto and manual, can anyone confirm this?

Thoughts on upgrading clutch packs and putting a shift kit in or just using electronic upgrades (shift box or tcu reflash).

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Get them in here! I'd like to have as much info on what I'm going to need before I start tearing into the swap and have to wait on parts.

I've been told the mirage axles should work and the intermediate shaft is the same on auto and manual, can anyone confirm this?

Thoughts on upgrading clutch packs and putting a shift kit in or just using electronic upgrades (shift box or tcu reflash).
dan hasn't logged in for over a month. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade the clutch packs and install a shift kit. From what I hear, the clutches aren't hard to replace. I would probably do it, if I was going auto.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:20 am 
CSM Junkie

I upgraded the clutches, shift kit, so that I could shift at full line pressure

Research wiring diagram for manual shifting through kiggly racing. That way there is no need to have a tcu.

Things you will need
ratchet shifter
biggest trans cooler you can fit in the confines of your car
filter for oil cooler
Kiggly sfi flex plate
upgraded converter bolts
upgraded flex plate to flywheel bolts ( I cut down manual flywheel bolts- Torque to 150ftibs)
loose converter ( I have a nice hughes spragless converter with 3 passes for sale :D )
axles I used were stock 1g axles, so If you are doing this in a colt, the 1g awd axles will work, provided you are using dsm hubs and knuckles
You will also need to construct a way to mount the shift cable to the transmission ( just a simple bracket)
for more information read through this project log of mine- Be forewarned, it is a huge thread, with tons of pictures and hows tos... the manual transmission carnage begins on page 13, where you will begin to see how I installed this on my car way back then<- Gosh I feel old
http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64447

Good luck

90 GST 10.36 @ 142.49 best mph 147.10

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:07 pm 
Some call me a god

Thanks for all that information, that helps a lot. I'll go back over your thread as well.

This isn't a full drag race car, still a street/weekend fun car, so for now I want to be able to have normal driving ability with the TCU. I found a write up on using the 3g shifter so I might do that. I don't want to destroy normal drivability or decent cruising mpg so I won't be going very extreme with the converter setup.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 am 
Some call me a god

So here is where I'm at with the auto stuff. I bought a kiggly flex plate and his clutch pack, roadshift box with switch to use tcu in normal driving, large heavy duty transmission cooler and had the converter rebuilt by circle d performance locally. I also bought a wix trans filter and will be using castrol aft+4. I will be using stock DSM axles. Hopefully I will be back working on this thing soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:02 pm 

are you signed up on atdsm.com ... there is alot of good auto info there.. and if you havent put the filter in yet I would suggest getting a oem one.. seems the aftermarket ones cause some issues sometimes..cause there not exactly the same as original..

and glad to see some progress.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:18 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
are you signed up on atdsm.com ... there is alot of good auto info there.. and if you havent put the filter in yet I would suggest getting a oem one.. seems the aftermarket ones cause some issues sometimes..cause there not exactly the same as original..

and glad to see some progress.

Steve
Ya, I signed up there and read through a bunch of stuff. Definitely good info there. That's the first I've heard of the aftermarket filters causing issues, any details on that? I hate going oem just cause someone says its better, someone had to make it for Mitsubishi as they don't make their own parts, just repackage them. Wix is a high quality company and the filter looks just like factory which is why I decided on it for replacement. Thanks for the input and if you have any source I can check on the issues, point me in their direction please! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm 

here is a link to one of the threads.. most of the other threads that talk about the filter are from people having issues after a fluid/filter change.. this link look at the first pic..and read post # 2 and 4.. they kinda explain the differences..

http://www.atdsm.com/forum/index.php/to ... ml#msg2339

hope this helps

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:13 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I love the auto! It is a tight fit and requires some trimming. Be careful with overdrive, it cant handle any power and will burn the clutches.