4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Steering ratio question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:39 pm 

Hey there guys. I'm in the tear down stages of another AWD swap, the car is a 1.5l colt I got for next to nothing.
Does anyone know the 1.5l manual rack steering ratio? I have an Evo VIII rack sitting around that I could make work without too much effort. I would just need to convert it to a sealed manual rack.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 pm 
CSM Junkie

It is very save to say the evo rack will have a quicker ratio. I have a manual rack in my colt. Not the most responsive unit out there

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 pm 
2nd Banana

The EVO rack converted to manual will be a lot more difficult to steer; physically, but will definitely have a quicker ratio and better steering response. I would use that if you have access to it.

I can't speak for the Colt rack, but I've driven DSM's with the allusive manual steering rack, and it was noticeably crappier. When I got back in my DSM with a regular power rack I almost drove right off the road, because I had gotten used to the worse steering response from the manual rack.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:40 pm 

The EVO has a ratio of 13:1 I imagine that's gotta be better than the manual 1.5l rack. The rack fits into the column and the tie rods have enough room to be adjusted in. The only issue the rack mounts completely different on the EVO, if I strip down the rack I can cut the mounting tabs off and position them so it can be mounted to the body.
I think I can keep the power steering if I cut the firewall a little bit, it sounds like this is going to be the best route if I can make this work.
I'll post some pictures when I have a little more time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 pm 

Can anyone think of any disadvantages to having a better steering ratio?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm 
The Silent Administrator

None.

Turbo rack versus non-turbo and more!

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ring+ratio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 pm 

I have a turbo mirage steering rack if you would rather use that and delete the power parts on it.

Here is something I have been thinking. How about moving the tie rod mounts closer in the hub. Exactly like the 240sx guys do to get a quicker steerig ratio. But not as much as they do, just a little.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Or install a steering quickener ... and it's completely reversible with no knuckle welding involved minus any column mods.

Coltixim performed a power steering rack modification whereby he had the stub/twisty shaft portion, welded solid, so on center feel was greatly improved and the power portions were removed also, to keep that direct feel. But, maintaining the same lock to lock of a turbo rack, nothing will compare to, so best to start with a turbo rack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am 

Quote:
I have a turbo mirage steering rack if you would rather use that and delete the power parts on it.

Here is something I have been thinking. How about moving the tie rod mounts closer in the hub. Exactly like the 240sx guys do to get a quicker steerig ratio. But not as much as they do, just a little.
I was going to use the EVO rack because I have one sitting around from a customers Ratrod project, otherwise it would be way too expensive for me to use.
I could be convinced to snag the turbo rack but it would have to be for dirt cheap. It would be a lot easier than cutting the mounts off the EVO rack, since the 1.6 rack should bolt right in.
Quote:
Or install a steering quickener ... and it's completely reversible with no knuckle welding involved minus any column mods.

Coltixim performed a power steering rack modification whereby he had the stub/twisty shaft portion, welded solid, so on center feel was greatly improved and the power portions were removed also, to keep that direct feel. But, maintaining the same lock to lock of a turbo rack, nothing will compare to, so best to start with a turbo rack.
I've never used a quickener before, any idea on the ratio of the 1.6 turbo rack after using a quickener?
Total newb on steering, drag racing doesn't require turns lol

Nearly got all of the FWD rear sub components out last night, still trying to get out the freaking torsion arm bolts. UHG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I would google the steering quickener thingy.

We had a user here years ago, and he used it in his Off-road Colts. Likely they are the same concept that F1 and other race cars use to make them less dependent on turn over turn, type steering. Faster and less travel to deal with. Maybe not for a daily, but who knows.