4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Looking at all those pictures of AWD rear ends going into the C50/60 chassis, has got me thinking.

What minimum portions of the DSM AWD rear end need to be installed?

Do the axle cups keep the bearings in place/pre-loaded?
Do you need the pumpkin or just keep the mustache brace and main support bolted to the weld in cross bar?

I am curious if someone wanted to convert the rear end to independent suspension, if the minimum required would make an AWD rear worthwhile, or would sourcing a 93+ CSM independent rear end be best? I've seen EVO 3+ rears going in and now done, but wondered if the DSM/GVR4 rear was a possible option.

Makes for either an interesting discussion or one word answer.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

4 words: Go All Wheel Drive
In another unrelated thread jack(interesting discussion style):
I'll raise you 1 bar sir, What about a CSM hybrid. Base CSM, 1.5l drivetrain in the front, install the DSM rear with an electric motor mounted in the tunnel. Have a separate button press/hand throttle for the electric motor for city driving. Or just have it kick on till 30-35mph. I just wonder if the rear end of a DSM can take the high torque of engine braking all by itself. Additionally will the gear ratio's favor A/C motors(best for regen braking). With the rear end and batteries, you could have 50/50 wieght distro with mostly a low center of gravity, that could offset any potential handling problems of added weight from batteries, and ev equip. If done with Lithium Ion, and only asking 20 miles of ev only battery range, you could keep the weight/costs down. Idea could use some tweaking, but it is probable.

Also if someone hits you at 50mph, instead of your car turning into a wimpy tin can coffin, it will turn into a fiery exploding coffin. Go in style gentlemen.
Probably not, but it would be cool, in a worst case scenario dream/nightmare world type way^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:32 am 

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/show ... AWD-to-FWD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 am 

I believe the pumpkin ties the rear end together to make it stronger since it has like 6 mounting bolts holding it in. The hubs themselves bolt on from the rear with a nut so you could leave the axles out and there would not be any issues. I'm almost positive the AWD DSM rear end would be easier to mount up than the 93+ CSM stuff would. The reason being the CSM bracket that holds the arms is spot welded to the floorpan, the entire unit is all separate on the DSM.

This would also be a good idea for anyone wanting to go AWD in the future but didn't have all of the parts/cash at one time. You could get the rear end and gas tank sorted and be back on the road and then worry about other mounts and stuff at a later time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:10 am 

I wonder if you can weld an X brace from square steel tubing to act in place as the pumpkin?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:09 am 

Yes, I'm sure there are other ways to reinforce it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:01 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
4 words: Go All Wheel Drive
In another unrelated thread jack(interesting discussion style):
I'll raise you 1 bar sir, What about a CSM hybrid. Base CSM, 1.5l drivetrain in the front, install the DSM rear with an electric motor mounted in the tunnel. Have a separate button press/hand throttle for the electric motor for city driving. Or just have it kick on till 30-35mph. I just wonder if the rear end of a DSM can take the high torque of engine braking all by itself. Additionally will the gear ratio's favor A/C motors(best for regen braking). With the rear end and batteries, you could have 50/50 wieght distro with mostly a low center of gravity, that could offset any potential handling problems of added weight from batteries, and ev equip. If done with Lithium Ion, and only asking 20 miles of ev only battery range, you could keep the weight/costs down. Idea could use some tweaking, but it is probable.

Also if someone hits you at 50mph, instead of your car turning into a wimpy tin can coffin, it will turn into a fiery exploding coffin. Go in style gentlemen.
Probably not, but it would be cool, in a worst case scenario dream/nightmare world type way^
Well, somebody is thinking now! Love the idea, and very creative/smart way to think it through.
Quote:
I believe the pumpkin ties the rear end together to make it stronger since it has like 6 mounting bolts holding it in. The hubs themselves bolt on from the rear with a nut so you could leave the axles out and there would not be any issues. I'm almost positive the AWD DSM rear end would be easier to mount up than the 93+ CSM stuff would. The reason being the CSM bracket that holds the arms is spot welded to the floorpan, the entire unit is all separate on the DSM.

This would also be a good idea for anyone wanting to go AWD in the future but didn't have all of the parts/cash at one time. You could get the rear end and gas tank sorted and be back on the road and then worry about other mounts and stuff at a later time.
Empty pumpkin with some caps welded into the holes or some structural tubing in an aerodynamic form would suffice. I figure if the rear drivetrain were in place, it would be the main thing stressing the pumpkin mounts and frame architecture with all the front/back/side to side loading, but many 4WD sport utilities like the RAV4, CRV, Escape, etc, all use an empty hole where the rear drivetrain sits, when they are only two wheel drive equipped.

It's neat to see where this discussion is going, I've always wondered what rear ends were best suited for a particular task being asked of the car.
I figure a list as follows based upon what people are hoping to achieve.

Autocross on pavement = Full AWD swap OR FWD with rear AWD structure installed, OR FWD with rear independent drivetrain from 93+ FWD CSM's.
Autocross on loose surfaces = AWD structure and full AWD drivetrain installed.
Drag = Full AWD swap or stay FWD depending upon how many parts you want to break. FWD in CSM's are in the 10's or less time brackets right???
Daily for spirited street driving or occasional Autocross on pavement = FWD with rear independent drivetrain from 93+ FWD CSM's.
Hybrid = FWD with rear electric motor setup, switchable assuming front transmission in neutral like a tow mode, electric batteries occupy some space where gas tank is, and gas tank gets made custom and smaller.

Haha, that was my train of thought for tonight. Figure there has been so much done with these little cars, so why not see what else we can come up with. :rolleyes: