4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 am 
Some call me a god

I'm trying to compile a little info on how to properly measure up the the 1g awd subframe to a 3g hatch. If anyone can add how they measured it in, what they used to measure it in and lastly where they took the measurements from I would greatly appreciate it.

I thought getting this kind of info in one thread would help future projects greatly because I've been through every single build thread and they are either really vague on the measuring process or dont mention it at all. I may be overthinking this but I wont have time to work on my car till this weekend and figured a little experienced guidance would'nt hurt. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 am 
Some call me a god

Just measurements .. everyone's tape is different. Measure a bunch. Weld once.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
Some call me a god

What he said. ^^

Center your rearend where you want it in the wheel well, measure front and back.

Pick a measuring point on each side of the underbody, and measure across to the front mounting points of the subframe. Make sure everything is aligned and put some spot welds in and then recheck.

When I did mine, I welded the rear mount bar first then the front. It's easier IMO to center the rear bar and weld it in and go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:43 pm 
Some call me a god

I did my mustache bar first too actually, and then leveled the front up and welded it up.

MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE.. you can never measure enough. tack it all in place, then do it some more..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:10 pm 
Some call me a god

Thanks for some of the input guys. I guess the easiest way to do this is to measure the sub frame mounting points front to back, side to side and diagonally from each other. Then I am goin to square these dimension up with the body and get the wheel centered up in the arch.

Initially I had the front sub mounts measured out to lilevo's 4 3/4" from the body but that put the wheel about an inch to far back. Needless to say I have a tad bit of grinding to do. :oops: I will get a couple pics of the progress in the next few days.