4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Which trans do i have?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 pm 

I got a transmission from a friend for free :) Story behind this is that a friend of a friend got a jdm motor/trans and it had yellow top injectors and a 16g on it. The trans was given to my friend but never used. my guess is that it was from an early evo 1-3 but i could be wrong..

Anyway on the trans it says in yellow paint "91-94 awd trans good" the spot where the stamped "w5m33" is supposed to be has been polished or filed off. so i have no real code to go off of here other than i know its a w5m33 transmission.

The transmission has a 23 spline output shaft and the tcase has the cast iron housing. Upon opening the transmission i found that it does have steel shift forks.

The transmission HAS been opened before as it has orange rtv to seal the case sections
synchros however look shiny and new without wear....

i read somewhere that the speedo gear is pink if you have an evo tranny with front lsd, not sure how true this is. the speedo gear ive got is white.

Any other telltale signs to help me figure out what kind of trans this is or what exactly it came out of?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Is the front differential a LSD? Why were the identifying markings filed off?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm 

im not sure if its lsd or not honstly. it doesn't look like the diffs ive pulled out of NON lsd transmissions like on an F5M33 transmission in a 3000gt where you can see just the two spider gears and a pin through the middle. looks like it might have an lsd but im not 100 percent sure, id have to have something to compare it against. looks similar to the rear diff i have which is an LSD unit from a 90.... And to be quite honest im not sure what a dsm front LSD style diff looks like as ive never seen one...

As for the filing off of the identification numbers, im not sure why the identifying marks were filed off. Thats just the way i received it from my friend...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:35 am 
Some call me a god

If there is no pin holding the spider gears in place then it should be a LSD unit.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:20 am 

btw how many teeth should the ring gear have? the lsd unit looks to be a diffren color than the ring gear, or shade i should say. almost like it might have been out of another transmission... ive got a 90 lsd rear diff and 23 spline output shaft and tcase, just need to figure out if ive got the right front diff ring gear so i dont fry the viscous by putting any mis-matched stuff together.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:35 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
btw how many teeth should the ring gear have? the lsd unit looks to be a diffren color than the ring gear, or shade i should say. almost like it might have been out of another transmission... ive got a 90 lsd rear diff and 23 spline output shaft and tcase, just need to figure out if ive got the right front diff ring gear so i dont fry the viscous by putting any mis-matched stuff together.
I guarantee you that diff doesn't have the right ring gear on it. It won't work with a US rear diff. Your axles probably won't fit in that tranny either, probably has the wrong size splines or the wrong amount of splines in there.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:22 pm 

How many teeth should the ring gear have to work with the USDM rear end??? same goes for how many splines should the front usdm axels have??

im guessing this trans is an evo1-3 transmission then as it has a front lsd and steel shift forks and all....

edit: spline count for the diff (where axels insert) is 25. my stock 4g15 colt axels DO fit into this lsd diff

ring gear has 64 teeth....

Ive found here from a little searching that the Evo ring gear is 64 teeth and a 95-96 dsm is 58 teeth. not sure about 1g ring gear tooth count...

so i guess i need to swap the ring gear and the output shaft that the tcase attaches to.... correct me if im wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:56 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
How many teeth should the ring gear have to work with the USDM rear end??? same goes for how many splines should the front usdm axels have??

im guessing this trans is an evo1-3 transmission then as it has a front lsd and steel shift forks and all....

edit: spline count for the diff (where axels insert) is 25. my stock 4g15 colt axels DO fit into this lsd diff

ring gear has 64 teeth....

Ive found here from a little searching that the Evo ring gear is 64 teeth and a 95-96 dsm is 58 teeth. not sure about 1g ring gear tooth count...

so i guess i need to swap the ring gear and the output shaft that the tcase attaches to.... correct me if im wrong.
It's an EVO 3 tranny, those were the only ones with the steel forks and front LSD.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:24 pm 

hmm...

So ill need a dsm ring gear and intermediate output shaft gear to fix this to work with usdm diff and tcase then im guessing.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:21 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
So ill need a dsm ring gear and intermediate output shaft gear to fix this to work with usdm diff and tcase then im guessing.
Correct. Or you can trade me that trans for a cripsy clean low-mileage VR4 trans.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:47 pm 

nah.........i think ill keep it :)

i did chip a tooth or two pulling the intermediate 5th gear off sadly and from what i hear they go for well over $100 bucks for a replacement :(

Anyway, i guess ill have to deburr it and re-use it. anyone have experience on how badly this will effect this trans? will the tooth itself be weaker and more prone to cracking/exploding taking out the end case? im assuming so but im curious if anyone has had experience with this....

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:04 pm 
Some call me a god

Ring gears are known to chip and will function without an issue. With a small cog like the 5th gear cog it will depend on the size of the chip. Post a pic if you can.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

WOW you lucky bastard! EVO3 trans for free!!!! That is the best of the best right there. I got a evo1 trans for 200 bucks a few years back. I thought that was a score.