4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:36 pm 

Guys, I hate the perch angles and tire clearance issues with this. Screw spacers. Screw pressing out Colt strut bushings just to have the perch angles tweaked. I don't want to weld parts to the struts to make them fit because that... to me... makes them a pain in the ass to service. I have a MIG welder, and figured I'd put it to better use. I wanted to be able to just bolt '92 AWD rear struts and springs in, so this is what I did. I hope you have time to kill because both videos are nearly 28 minutes... but it covers a span of about 60 hours of work. I feel like it was worth it.

Driver's side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zQoq5ocbk

Passenger side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFvSDuGoRE

I didn't know how I was going to pull it off going into it, I knew I just couldn't screw it up.

The front is going to be fun. I have 1g 92 AWD front hubs, springs & struts on it right now and don't see a real good way to make those fit either. I'll probably cut coils to get the ride height straight while I weld up the front crossmember. Front springs I'm shooting for 300# 7" from summit and it will wear the ebay coilover kit. It looks like the best thing for tire clearance and adjustability according to what I've read here. I will likely be building camber and caster adjustment into the front strut perches by getting the Mustang adapters and TIG welding it to a plate that will bolt-in. I can't find anything with a pillow ball mount for the do-it-yourselfer.

Questions or some guidance:
The 1G AWD strut seems like it's a couple inches too long. Isn't it? Am I supposed to be using a Colt strut for this, or the DSM part? Right now I have 5" of front wheel gap. People here seem to swear by the Koni Yellows? Anyone got part numbers or know if they bolt to a '92 AWD 5-lug front hub? Maybe a better solution? I'm all ears.

Jafro

:toimonster: ... I just wanted to use that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 am 
Because Race Car

Great work! :supz:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 am 
Some call me a god

Wow you are fast! Want a job?

You should look at Colt Expo FWD wagon front knuckles. They fit DSM wheel bearings and brakes, but without the massive bump steer issues of the DSM/G-vr4 knuckles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:51 am 
Some call me a god

Wow that was a lot of work, very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:09 pm 

Quote:
Wow you are fast! Want a job?
:D Thanks man. I'm well employed, but if I were a mechanic, I couldn't afford this hobby. You should see how fast I can replace a logic board in a MacBook Pro, though.
Quote:
You should look at Colt Expo FWD wagon front knuckles. They fit DSM wheel bearings and brakes, but without the massive bump steer issues of the DSM/G-vr4 knuckles.
Really? So they still work with the 5-lug 1g AWD front hub bearing? With the bump steer issue eliminated, it must change the whole camber/caster issue that bolting the AWD hubs in causes. My car has a manual rack, and the fitment of the tie rods kinda sucks with these knuckles. I've got 2 threads in on the driver's side, but was expecting to be able to get them screwed on tighter once the ride height issue is sorted out. Which shocks and springs do you run with the FWD Expo hubs?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:22 pm 
Because Race Car

You can run AWD DSM struts with the Expo knuckles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:38 pm 

Great job man! I sat there and watched all of it like it was one of my favorite TV shows :lol: .

You're not too far away either, let me know if you need some help wrenching one weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

100 percent better video than even the motor swap we saw a long time ago. Low and behold it would not surprise me if this is the same person. lol
Great work, very inspiring and shows you more than watching Stacy on "Trucks" would have ever done. Get dirteeeee! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:50 pm 
Some call me a god

Slot the upper strut hole about an eighth inch and your camber should be close, caster stays at an acceptable level, and yes they fit GVR-4 hubs or DSM hubs and bearings. I run stock AWD DSM springs on mine, and ride height is about stock on my 2850lb Colt, so you could run the DSM lowering springs of your choice.
The real bonus thing about the FWD Expo hubs is the steering arm geometry. It matches the original very closely, and in testing it showed less bump steer than the original hatchback hubs.
If you want to run stock turbo CSM axles, you'll need Sonata inner bearing seals.

Here's a link to my brake conversion thread, complete with part numbers an whatnot: http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ion+thread

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 pm 

Thanks guys! & I mean... everyone.

Yeah the other video might have been me... I've been building this dang thing for 5 years amidst major life-changing circumstances, but I will never let it go unfinished. I try to film all my automotive crap which grinds every project to a halt, and I don't do that for me. About the only major change to the whole video/music thing is I've upgraded my camera.

Thanks Coltsfan. (Sorry 'bout your Colts yesterday I was hoping they'd crush the Eagles.) I knew I could wallow out the holes, but never saw any info about this in such detail. That's an excellent thread, but it's leaving me with several questions. I've done a 5-lug conversion. I'm using 5-lug hubs from a '92 AWD DSM. So you're saying I wouldn't need any different seals or hubs, just the FWD EXPO knuckles to mount the hubs, brakes, AWD suspension, AND fix the bump-steer issue? If so, I'm sold. I got a set of 16" Steelies off an AWD Eclipse and intend to use those to add to the shitbox factor. I also can't mix-n-match wheel sizes due to the AWDness.

Also... 2850? REALLY? Uhm... REALLY?!??!?! That's only 500lbs lighter than a 2g GSX. Do you have AC, powered seatbelts, or any power options other than brakes? Where's all that weight coming from? BTW... I know for a fact that powered seatbelts weigh 36.5 lbs. As much as the AC system. I even weighed the 27 wires and control unit that I carefully un-wired from the interior harness and ICU... and that's just the front seatbelts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

My 90 awd colt is 2550 with full interior power steering no ac or power anything, its a base model 1.5 hatch. I never did anything like that with my struts, i just changed the mounting points on the lower side, it works perfect. Takes about 2 hours per side if you take your time. I used the dsm front knuckles hubs axles etc they work fine with no bump steer or anything like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:38 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

Also... 2850? REALLY? Uhm... REALLY?!??!?! That's only 500lbs lighter than a 2g GSX. Do you have AC, powered seatbelts, or any power options other than brakes?
Just for reference; mine weighs 2600. No A/C or Power seat belts, full tank, etc. It has a cage and I've made absolutely no attempt to lighten it in any way.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
My 90 awd colt is 2550 with full interior power steering no ac or power anything, its a base model 1.5 hatch. I never did anything like that with my struts, i just changed the mounting points on the lower side, it works perfect. Takes about 2 hours per side if you take your time. I used the dsm front knuckles hubs axles etc they work fine with no bump steer or anything like that.
How exactly did you change the mounting points if you dont mind me asking? And any pictures?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
How exactly did you change the mounting points if you dont mind me asking? And any pictures?

to mod the front struts
http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/lancerproject_2.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Damn, that's a pretty impressive rear end assembly.

'17 Fiesta ST