4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:04 pm 
Some call me a god

So I've filed a BBB complaint and requested a refund and payment for damages. We'll see how that turns out, I really don't have time for a law suit sense I'll be moving next month.

I've started redoing the driveshaft mounts sense they were destroyed when the driveshaft let go. I used 2 of the rear mounts from the talons I parted out. I used a line from the xcase to rearend to make sure they were placed right where they need to be. Both mounts are welded on, just have some sheet metal work left and seam sealer/undercoating. Hopefully the car will be ready to go by the beginning of next week. I really miss driving a car that has some balls. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Can you guys use a 2-piece AWD Summit/LRV drive shaft? You would only need to have one carrier bearing and it is all OEM...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117423/4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 pm 
Some call me a god

You know that is a good option. I'll have to look at the wheel base differences. I also saw a evo III build today that uses that same style driveshaft, wish I'd seen that before I went the custom route. O well, the stock driveshaft is back in and working great with the new mounts. Vibration is very minimal with a slight vibration at 40-50ish on decel. I can live with that! :) It has made it 50 miles and over 100mph so far so I think it's good to go.

I'm going to fill the carrier bearings and I think I'm going to order the Torque Solutions aluminum bushings. Luckily I have another driveshaft I can do that to while I enjoy my car again. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 pm 
CSM Junkie

hey i know i bringing this thread back from the dead. :rolleyes: .. but what ever happen, what was the out come of the custom driveshaft issue?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
hey i know i bringing this thread back from the dead. :rolleyes: .. but what ever happen, what was the out come of the custom driveshaft issue?
They never responded and I'm sure took a hit from the BBB because of it. A custom driveshaft would work fine, it's just hard to find a shop willing to work on an import shaft for some reason. If you do have someone make one for you, make sure they understand critical velocity and make sure it's a bigger diameter then stock. I would eventually like to get another 2 piece made and would make sure it was a 3" at least, possibly a 3 1/2" if it would fit.

I was reading through coltdie's old thread and noticed he had DSS do a custom front shaft for him, but I couldn't see paying that much for a driveshaft personally.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am 

I had Henderson (local driveshaft shop) make me a custom 2-piece shaft. They said a 1 piece shaft is not possible in our cars. It would have to be 4" or something like that. I supplied a DSS front yolk and they did the rest. Now I have a 3" 2 piece shaft that uses beefy u-joints. Henderson charged me $720 something and the yolk was $180. :( But they claim I can spin it up to 10,000 rpm and make north of 700hp and shouldn't have any issues. The weak link is the DSS yolk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm 
Some call me a god

I got lucky and found an AWD Expo driveshaft on ebay. 110 shipped and I have it in my hands. It's about twice the diameter, and a little longer than the 1g driveshaft. But it's half the weight easily and the middle joint is after the carrier bearing which is nice. The rearend flange is the same as a dsm and the front yoke is a little different but same spline count. So I'll put a dsm yoke on and have it shortened and should be good to go for a long time. I'll update with pictures when I get everything done. It's just sitting in my garage for now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:55 pm 

I pretty sure the yoke is the same as DSM, complete with the recall ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 pm 
Some call me a god

The yoke will go into the transfer case but not as far as needed. So I'll just order 2 recall kits and replace the ujoints when I get time/money (mainly money) to put into my mirage again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 pm 

Did the OEM shaft ever work out? I have a friend who works at a driveline shop who says he can make me a custom shaft to any spec I want. I would however rather find an OEM shaft, I've seen plenty of AWD Expos here

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm 
Some call me a god

I haven't touched my mirage in over a year. But I have no doubts it will work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 pm 
Some call me a god

Here is an update for future reference for anyone that might be wondering.

The expo shaft will work when shortened to the length you need it, I had mine shortened 2" and re-balanced and the ujoints replaced as well. The shop had to shim the shaft due to the way Mitsubishi has the shaft designed. Ended up paying $225 for everything which really isn't bad considering they saved me about 2 hours of work to replace the ujoints. I also replaced the carrier bearing with one from a Mighty Max truck. It is way cheaper and easier to find and the mounting holes are slotted so you have some adjustability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 pm 

Henderson driveshaft in westlake, Ohio did mine as well. Needed shortened. Would like to see if they can help me out with going 2 piece.

89 mirage #666/1200
89 colt E $2006 GRM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:12 am 

Quote:
Henderson driveshaft in westlake, Ohio did mine as well. Needed shortened. Would like to see if they can help me out with going 2 piece.
they made my 2 piece. still dont know how well it works :ANAL: