4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:34 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well its time to start my build thread since I finally finished up my laser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally picked up my dream car a couple months ago its a 89 colt. I bought it with no motor, no trans. Its a decently clean shell with no rust and a full interior which is exactly what I was looking for. Here are some pics of when I first picked her up:
My plans for the car are to do the fully built 4g63t, awd swap, 5 lug and big break swap, and one of my favorites a fully wire tucked engine bay! And this will be staying stock looking as possible for a nce sleeper look and should be good for low tens!!
I picked up a wrecked 91 eclipse for all the awd parts. Its a really clean car with only 70,00miles on it too. The main reason I picked up this car was of course for all the awd parts but mainly because it has a fully built ITP trans in it. The top build you can do to the auto which was exactly what I was going to do anyway.

SO far all I have done is put the 5lug spindles on with the big brakes, dropped a 4g63t and the trans in for mock up of half shafts and front cross member for the front and rear motor mounts. I also stripped the car and all the wiring to get ready for the wire tuck action.
On to pics:

And heres where i will be working on it at:

I will try to update this as much as possible but it might go a little slow because Im a poor 18 year old college student. SO let me know what you think or if you have any other questions.

Last edited by slowbeans on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm also going to do a wire tuck as well. Are you tucking just the engine harness or going to do the headlights and fuse box as well?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Try and find a turbo car steering rack and column and you will thank yourself in the end. Good start with being able to find most of your parts in one shot. Keep your eye on the ball, let life come first and the car stuff will fall into place after that; best advice I could give without you having asked for it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm also going to do a wire tuck as well. Are you tucking just the engine harness or going to do the headlights and fuse box as well?
Thanks man and good luck too you. Yes I will be tucking both harnesses. It should look like this after Im done except 10times better hopefully since ive done it before now.
Thanks Flying Eagle thats what ive been trying to do. And why do you recommend the turbo steering rack? SOrry Im new to Csm's.

Last edited by slowbeans on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 pm 
Some call me a god

Is it just me or does it look that is suppose to be a double car garage with barely enough room for a little colt :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:34 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
And why do you recommend the turbo steering rack?
I'm curious about this too. I have a tilt telescopic column, and power rack in my car, but I didn't know I needed them. When I put my two manual racks up for sale the were snatched up like hotcakes. I assumed they were wanted for someones 10 seond car builds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:33 am 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Is it just me or does it look that is suppose to be a double car garage with barely enough room for a little colt :)
haha I wish it was a two stall but its just a packed oversized one stall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

The factory rack is great IF you keep the power steering, which your car doesn't appear to have.

Last edited by pimpy rider on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:19 pm 
Some call me a god

I had a turbo rack with the PS deleted and it was okay with the factory wheel. If you wanna use a smaller wheel then PS is your friend. If you wanna delete the PS then you should use a larger diameter steering wheel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Hehe, it would appear that my remarks were taken to mean that adding a PS rack would be best. Being late I hadn't noticed where or not it was a power steering rack or not, but rather it would be best to find the turbo car steering rack as it has a much better (faster) steering ratio in the pinion/rack itself. Less input on the wheel for same output in degrees of front wheels being angled while steering. I always wonder why people aren't concerned with this, but if you only go in a straight line with the car, it still means you only have to nudge the wheel a bit when getting torque steer versus alot of countering movement with lesser input (c52a) setups. Either way, I wish I had the room and time to tuck an engine bay, but considering that it is best to start with a blank slate in the engine bay so to speak, you will have an easier time of it. I can't really fathom tucking all my AC, alternator, injectors, harness or whatever wires because they are everywhere. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

Is the redrum's old car?is looks very close

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Is the redrum's old car?is looks very close
Yes this is Andrews old car.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Slowbeans, What engine wiring harness are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Slowbeans, What engine wiring harness are you using?
Im going to be using a 91 auto harness out of the eclipse I have. so ill be switching to all 91+ sensors and such with a gallant eprom ecu.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

well I finally got some work done on the colt today. First of I made the trans mount out of the stock mount but modified it quite a bit and then braced it to make it a solid mount:
I have plenty of clearance for the axle and holy shit the longest and hardest part was getting the motor and trans where I wanted it. And I was very surprised that the stock 1g auto axle fits perfectly??????????
Then next was the rear mount. I was just going to make it to attach to the cross member Im making but it way to tight and not the best idea so I got the stock 1g auto trans mount and made it fit the firewall and then made a 1/4inch spacer for the mount on the motor and it works perfectly and dont worry I will be sandwiching the firewall with thick metal plates. And with the this mount you can take the transfer case out with out taking the mount off!!!!!!!!!
And right now I'm in the process of making a front cross member for the front motor mount out of 2x1 boxed tubing.
Let me know what you guys think and ill post more pics when I finish the cross member.

Last edited by slowbeans on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.